PDA

View Full Version : live coral food recipes

eli@fijireefrock.com
10-01-2012, 08:58 PM
with all the powder,pellet and spot feeding out there I am getting tired and possibly more tiring soon as I will be filling my tanks with all types of corals (softies,LPS few SPS and some non photosynthetic...
that said right now I only feed my tank with home made fresh seafood mix.I would like to start maybe using or growing my own phytoplankton,live rotifers and baby brine shrimp,I haven't donw any search on here or the web yet (too lazy:biggrin:)
Anyone here grow their own with recipes or any idea for starting...

ScubaSteve
10-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I've been looking into this too recently as I am starting to plan my SPS/Azoox nano tank for next years contest :razz:. I've made my own bioreactors before for growing algae, and it seems that going zooplankton is even easier to do. I'm planning on having a phyto reactor connected to a zooplankton reactor. I want it to be as easy as turning a few valves.

The guy to talk to is monocus. He goes his own cultures.

reefwars
10-01-2012, 09:32 PM

absolutely hes def the guy to talk too, i sent him a pm asking what he does and how and he was more than generous by sending me a long detailed explanantion and then said if i need anymore help he would be happy to help me.

stand up guy(maybe gal idk) for sure:)

Milad
10-01-2012, 10:32 PM
I

+1 and hes got equipment he can get you setup with I believe.

Wheelman76
10-01-2012, 11:54 PM
+1 on monocous , great guy as well

eli@fijireefrock.com
10-02-2012, 12:05 AM
I guess we are waiting for Monocus to give us his imput:biggrin:

monocus
10-02-2012, 12:08 AM
i am a guyhttp://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon10.gif.i grow nanochlorpus,tetraselmius,restarting isocrysis;rotifers,brine shrimp,restarting cocipods,and i feed all fresh(frozen)foods i prepare myself.i prefer live food as i am too lazy to clean up uneaten food(as if- with the appetites of my fish) in a 240 gal and 9-15 other tanks(water changes and cleaning take me all sunday)if you need any help just pm me.i also like the idea of food being in the tank all day propagating itself without rotting.

eli@fijireefrock.com
10-02-2012, 12:08 AM
through reading A couple more questions arises how about adding
Grindal worms,white worms,micro worms,spirulina powder,dried copepods,astaxanthin powder.any 1st hand experience.

monocus
10-02-2012, 12:15 AM
also if you notice pollups coming out of your coral,it usually means that they filter feed or catch zoo plankton or phytoplankton.i can't understand when people pay a fortune on their corals and only rely on fish poop or powdered supplements(which will rot if not consumed)

monocus
10-02-2012, 12:18 AM
i use spiralina in my veggie mix-basicly goes back into a liquid form when mixed with water-at least i havn't seen any cells under my microscope