PDA

View Full Version : I just installed my Aquasafe 100gpd RO/DI unit

trilinearmipmap
04-18-2004, 02:27 AM
First, the ordering/shipping:

I received the unit promptly via UPS 3 days after I ordered it, it arrived apparently undamaged.

Second, the installation:

It was a pain in the butt to install this under-the-sink unit, it took me the past 5 hours. This included an hour and a half to install/mount the unit and 3-1/2 hours chasing down and fixing leaks. Very frustrating.

Third, the performance:

My tap TDS tests 12 to 13 ppm, the RO/DI unit tests 0 to 1 ppm. This is after the DI and before the final carbon filter which is included after the RO/DI. After this final carbon filter the TDS is 68, this is likely temporary until the filter flushes.

Overall I give this unit a 4 out of five so far, the main drawback being the installation.

I will update this review with performance/gph etc when I have had the unit for a while.

Chad
04-18-2004, 02:40 AM
I agree.. They are awesome products.. I am not sure you can really fault it for installation tho. I don't think it would be easier to do with any other model. Its pretty much the same all around, especialy when installing under the sink.. PIA.. for sure... hope yours works out great.. :biggrin:

Jack
04-18-2004, 02:58 AM
Yep, the membrane needs to be flushed before use.. about 2 hours I think he reccomends.

The installs are easy if you've hooked one up before. :wink:

trilinearmipmap
04-18-2004, 03:35 AM
Some more details about this unit.

The price was excellent. 100gpd RO/DI unit with faucet/storage tank for drinking water as well as diverter valve for aquarium water, plus TDS meter, plus 4 sets of refill micron/carbon/DI filters, plus delivery by UPS cost $320.14 CDN including taxes.

The instructions were hit and miss. In many ways the installation instructions were excellent, in other areas they were sketchy.

The weakest part of the installation is the attachment to the feed water source. They use a "needle piercing valve" which attached through a hole in the side of the cold water pipe under the sink. This leaked like crazy and required a lot of tinkering to get it fixed. I will replace the feed water attachment with something more sturdy before it leaks all over my floor.

Anyway seems like a good unit overall so far.

Delphinus
04-18-2004, 03:42 AM
Where did you order it from? aquaria.ca ?

trilinearmipmap
04-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Delphinus,

I ordered it directly from Aquasafe.

When you go on EBay, look up reverse osmosis, you will find Aquasafe products, this will link you to the Aquasafe store.

Don't order throught EBay, just use it for product selection. If you order by phoning Aquasafe directly, you get a better price.

Aqua-Safe Systems Ltd.
5908 Marine Dr.
West Vancouver BC V7W 2S2
604-922-3030
anything@aquasafecanada.com

JoelF
04-18-2004, 02:38 PM
go to ebay.ca though. they are alot easier to find on there. I have the same unit, and has been great. My install was VERY easy though. ( had my bro in law do it :cool: )

Bryan
04-18-2004, 07:30 PM
Some more details about this unit.

The weakest part of the installation is the attachment to the feed water source. They use a "needle piercing valve" which attached through a hole in the side of the cold water pipe under the sink. Anyway seems like a good unit overall so far.

They recommend drilling the line instedd of using the valve to pierce the line. I pierced first and performance of the RO was poor. Drilling the line improved performance dramatically. I guess there must have been a bur in the line restricting the flow.

StirCrazy
04-18-2004, 07:45 PM
an even better way so that you don't put holes in your pipes is to get a fitting that goes after your cold water shut off valve that has a 1/4" tube take off on the side. you simpaly uncrew the hose put this on, put the hose back on the end of the new fitting then run your RO off the side tap.. takes about 5 min for that part.

Steve

fishgills
04-20-2004, 07:31 PM
Good luck with your unit i also have 100gpd its a life saver for me being disable, good luck again. :biggrin: