PDA

View Full Version : Dead Peppermint Shrimp

Jim Barry
04-18-2004, 02:22 AM
I bought 5 peppermint shrimp 2 days ago in the attempt to control an outbreak of aptasia in my tank. I took alot of time to ensure they were climatized before putting them in the tank.

I use bioballs in my overflow to cut down on the water noise and found 3 of the shrimp this morning in the overflow down amongst the bioballs. I was only able to save one of them. I have never had any fish or shrimp in the past go into my overflow. It seems a little weird that 3 of the 5 shrimp would get into the overflow in one night.

Can anyone give my any insight on this..... thx

Jim :confused: :cry:

Jack
04-18-2004, 02:59 AM
Are you sure they aren't molts? Sometimes they can be mistaken for dead shrimp. Could be induced by shipping stress.

Jim Barry
04-18-2004, 03:05 AM
They weren't molting as 2 of the 3 of them were still alive when I found them. One I was able to save and one I accidently killed trying to get it out of the overflow.

Bob I
04-18-2004, 03:20 AM
I bought two Peppermints a few weeks ago. It must be said I never did see them. I took the tank down a couple of days ago to transfer things to my new cube. There was no evidence they ever existed. It seems a bit weird, as I have kept Peppermints before with no trouble.. :confused:

Gujustud
04-18-2004, 04:01 AM
My first damsel ate my first peppermint shrimp. I've read that they are often mistaken as food to other fish because of their color.