PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer and cyano treatment

Coralgurl
10-01-2012, 12:57 AM
I treated my tank with chemiclean just over a week ago to help deal with cyano. Completed a water change 2 days after as directed. Do I need to keep changing water until skimmer stops spazzing? I just tried turning it back on and it just went nuts.

Interestingly, the skimmer hasn't been running and neither has my dual reactor and tank looks awesome. First time in a week I've cleaned the glass was today. Just using a filter sock.

windcoast reefs
10-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Yeah I find I have to change my water a few times if I treat for cyano. I find running carbon helps as well.

PoonTang
10-01-2012, 01:52 AM
When I use it i do a big water change then I just dial the skimmer back as far as it will go. If its not enough then raising it up will help too. Then I just let it keep filling up the skimmer cup and I sit there and keep dumping it. If I pull out enough skim mate (5 gal) then I just top off with fresh salt water. Doesn't take too long and you can have the skimmer back to normal.

Coralgurl
10-01-2012, 02:25 AM
The most I can change at a tome is 25-30 gls so I'll do a few more over the next few days. I turned my carbon off per the instructions and haven't turned it back on, will do so and see what happens.

Thanks!

Northernseacorals
10-01-2012, 03:43 AM
Defiantly run some fresh carbon to help pull it out, I usually do :-)

MarkoD
10-01-2012, 01:34 PM
There is only 1 way to get it out completely:

Let the skimmer overflow until it stops.

So have it drain into a bucket or empty the cup every 30 seconds

Proteus
10-01-2012, 01:53 PM
I did 50 gal water changes every couple days and let skimmer overflow like Marko said

Do you have a phosphate issue. I find that's when I get cyano

Enigma
10-01-2012, 01:55 PM
How has your system as a whole reacted to the Chemi-Clean?

I've purchased some, but I'm a little afraid to use it.

Proteus
10-01-2012, 02:03 PM

It's fine. I used it with clams and coral. No negative affect

Coralgurl
10-01-2012, 02:23 PM

No issues. Cyano is gone, I also turned the lights off for 3 days, corals, fish and inverts all fine. Mine was really bad on my rocks and was starting to cover corals. I also changed around my rock scaping and flow.

I haven't rechecked my phospates, but overall I don't see any sign of it returning and there are no other algae issues that I can see.

Coralgurl
10-01-2012, 02:25 PM
There is only 1 way to get it out completely:

Let the skimmer overflow until it stops.

So have it drain into a bucket or empty the cup every 30 seconds

My skimmer has a plug in the cup so I do let it drain back into the sump. I will do a few more wc, change carbon and then let skimmer run.

MarkoD
10-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Draining it back into the sump won't do anything. You need to remove the water that overflows. That's where the highest concentration of chemiclean is

PoonTang
10-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Draining it back into the sump won't do anything. You need to remove the water that overflows. That's where the highest concentration of chemiclean is

Yes! What he said.

PoonTang
10-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Also you can feed a healthy dose of mysis right before you power your skimmer back up. It will kill all the bubbles for a bit then they will return gradually.