PDA

View Full Version : Coral ID

mrhasan
09-30-2012, 03:17 AM
Can someone please tell me whether this is a non-photosynthetic or photosynthetic goniopora?

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg402/scaled.php?server=402&filename=20120929203753.jpg&res=landing

The LFS told me this is a pink with purple mouth japanese goniopora and its a rare type. Alongside, he also told me that it is non-photosynthetic but I don't have to feed it since it will take food and nutrients from water column. I am a bit confused :|

The color and the price tempted me into buying this :redface:

fishytime
09-30-2012, 03:21 AM
well, the LFS got the goniopora part right.......

mrhasan
09-30-2012, 03:22 AM
So its photosynthetic right?

reefwars
09-30-2012, 05:01 AM
So its photosynthetic right?

sure is

mrhasan
09-30-2012, 05:03 AM
Goody :D Thanks Danny.

I actually got confused when the LFS said its non-photosynthetic but doesn't require feeding. I was like HUH?! :P

reefwars
09-30-2012, 05:06 AM

I actually got confused when the LFS said its non-photosynthetic but doesn't require feeding. I was like HUH?! :P

he must have meant it was not non phtosynthetic is my only guess

Mandosh
09-30-2012, 05:07 AM
What they should have said was, "photosynthetic, but feeding will help".

mrhasan
09-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Nop I remember he said that its non-photo and require feeding but the food and nutrition from water column would be good enough for it. I was confused and asked him twice and he repeated it again. Hence the confusion :P That particular guy always confuses me :|

I was in doubt of it being non-photo because NPS are generally very brightly color isinit? I am not sure about this but please do correct me if I am wrong :redface:

mrhasan
09-30-2012, 05:12 AM
What they should have said was, "photosynthetic, but feeding will help".

Yah. I feed my corals daily so that the frags would become mini colonies as soon as possible. That way, my tanks would look filled :D

reefwars
09-30-2012, 05:12 AM

if an lfs does tell you something is non-phot then dont buy it regardless of how little you have to feed it, or how easy it is to take care of , go home and do your own research on it first so you dont get stuck with something you cant take care of, youll have much better purchases if you do , this was a lucky one alot of times you WILL end up with somthing you cant feed or hope to feed.

good luck buddy:)

reefwars
09-30-2012, 05:15 AM
Nop I remember he said that its non-photo and require feeding but the food and nutrition from water column would be good enough for it. I was confused and asked him twice and he repeated it again. Hence the confusion :P That particular guy always confuses me :|

I was in doubt of it being non-photo because NPS are generally very brightly color isinit? I am not sure about this but please do correct me if I am wrong :redface:

the key lesson to be learned is dont believe anything anyone tells you anywhere and do your own research lol

im all for lfs but i take all their information with caution knowing im a customer first and a sales a sale:)

mrhasan
09-30-2012, 05:16 AM
Totally agree to that. That's why I did a quick liveaquaria search from my cellphone over there and saw that its photosyn so grabbed it and came to this place just to clarify :P

BTW can you tell me the particular name for this? LFS said its "rare japanese purple mouth pink ganiopora".

if an lfs does tell you something is non-phot then dont buy it regardless of how little you have to feed it, or how easy it is to take care of , go home and do your own research on it first so you dont get stuck with something you cant take care of, youll have much better purchases if you do , this was a lucky one alot of times you WILL end up with somthing you cant feed or hope to feed.

good luck buddy:)

mrhasan
09-30-2012, 05:17 AM
the key lesson to be learned is dont believe anything anyone tells you anywhere and do your own research lol

im all for lfs but i take all their information with caution knowing im a customer first and a sales a sale:)

Ah research! I am having enough with the research for my thesis. For such matters, experts are here :mrgreen:

reefwars
09-30-2012, 05:18 AM
Totally agree to that. That's why I did a quick liveaquaria search from my cellphone over there and saw that its photosyn so grabbed it and came to this place just to clarify :P

BTW can you tell me the particular name for this? LFS said its "rare japanese purple mouth pink ganiopora".

its a red goniopora , im sure theres a species name for it but thats its common name, google red goniopora and youll find it:)

japanese or not who knows...rare, its def not;)

mrhasan
09-30-2012, 05:23 AM
its a red goniopora , im sure theres a species name for it but thats its common name, google red goniopora and youll find it:)

japanese or not who knows...rare, its def not;)

Damn! I thought I scored a rare species :twised: On well it looks terribly nice.

Got a red green maxi mini too! That bugger was not letting off my hand :razz:

Mandosh
09-30-2012, 05:25 AM
Don't take this as a ID based on any sort of taxonomic knowledge of goniopora species, but I have seen pictures of G. planulata that look almost identical to the one you have. I'm pretty sure most of them come in from Indo though...

mrhasan
09-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Don't take this as a ID based on any sort of taxonomic knowledge of goniopora species, but I have seen pictures of G. planulata that look almost identical to the one you have. I'm pretty sure most of them come in from Indo though...

Yah that's what I have heard too. I will call it Indo red goniopora with purple mouth :D

Zoaelite
09-30-2012, 08:09 AM
The two most dreaded words in this hobby, "Japanese" and "Deep Water"...

The third is "LE", all three will cost you extra...

Simply put you will be spoon fed BS from 85% of LFS out there to ensure a transaction, especially if you go in not knowing what your buying.

mrhasan
09-30-2012, 03:17 PM
What's LE?

Kinda sounds like this hobby has the "japanese" effect like electronic products :P If its from japan, its gonna be more expensive :P

The two most dreaded words in this hobby, "Japanese" and "Deep Water"...

The third is "LE", all three will cost you extra...

Simply put you will be spoon fed BS from 85% of LFS out there to ensure a transaction, especially if you go in not knowing what your buying.

fishytime
09-30-2012, 03:52 PM
LE = limited edition

mrhasan
09-30-2012, 07:46 PM
LE = limited edition

Thanks. But how can corals be limited edition :| If a coral is pointed out as limited edition, it might be some sort of endangered or illegal piece!

daniella3d
10-01-2012, 01:25 AM
or aquacultured very specific like some of the Ora corals.

Thanks. But how can corals be limited edition :| If a coral is pointed out as limited edition, it might be some sort of endangered or illegal piece!