PDA

View Full Version : Beckett holders

StirCrazy
04-18-2004, 12:09 AM
well I completed my design of a becket holder today.

After scraping the proto type and going bigger (had a real small sexy one but when I was done I realized I didn't have room for an air valve :rolleyes: ) I arived at a workable size.

here is the holder unmounted with no becket inside
http://members.shaw.ca/s.l.s/temppics/Bholder.jpg

and here it is with the becket installed
http://members.shaw.ca/s.l.s/temppics/Bholderwithb.jpg

Steve

IslandReefer
04-18-2004, 12:16 AM
Looks slick Steve.
Did you cut a groove for your big O-ring, or just squeeze it?
Also did you modify the beckett any on the bottom, ie to put O-rings or is that just friction fit too?
And are you going to make use guess the final prize winning dimensions? :razz:
I'll have to follow the next few steps, close to assembly time?
BTW beauty edges!

Jack
04-18-2004, 12:19 AM
Would be nice with keyhole and thumbscrews eh?

StirCrazy
04-18-2004, 12:32 AM
Looks slick Steve.
Did you cut a groove for your big O-ring, or just squeeze it?
Also did you modify the beckett any on the bottom, ie to put O-rings or is that just friction fit too?
And are you going to make use guess the final prize winning dimensions? :razz:
I'll have to follow the next few steps, close to assembly time?
BTW beauty edges!

the big O'ring just sits inside the screws so they locate it. The becket is friction fit top and bottom.

Would be nice with keyhole and thumbscrews eh?

you buy me the 300.00 rotery table and I will put the Keyholes in :mrgreen: as for thumb screws thats what I was looking for but Home Depot didn't have any.

Steve

Delphinus
04-18-2004, 01:15 AM
How's the plumbing going to work on the bottom? I.e., how does it hook up the skimmer itself.

StirCrazy
04-18-2004, 01:36 AM
How's the plumbing going to work on the bottom? I.e., how does it hook up the skimmer itself.

I am toying with a few options.. i am thinking of gluing a short lenght of 1" acrilic to the bottom and sement that into a slip threaded union to make it easy to remove.. if you only had short riser tubes the other option is to glue it directly to the 1" tube.

Steve

IslandReefer
04-19-2004, 04:33 PM
G'day
I had thought that , for optimum performance, the beckett should be close to the height of the water level you want to run?
Do you think a taller 1 in mini tower under the Beckett would increase dwell time and DOC removal?
Are you going to shoot water and foam directly up the main column or into the bottom box?..I guess I could wait and see... :sad:
Just mulling over options
Thanks

medican
05-15-2004, 05:35 PM
this might help :rolleyes:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1030034#post1030034

Richard

IslandReefer
05-15-2004, 05:42 PM
thanks...that is an uber-skimmer. But like I said the becketts are close to the height of the primary column????

Cap'n
05-15-2004, 07:35 PM
What is a becket and what is it used for?

StirCrazy
05-16-2004, 12:07 AM
thanks...that is an uber-skimmer. But like I said the becketts are close to the height of the primary column????

they don't have to be, I personally feel they work better being higher, but some feel they are better being lower. look at the pro models you will see both ways.

cptclever

A Beckett is the foam generator that is used on a Beckett skimmer. other similar skimmers use ventures and a Beckett is just a different style of venturi

Steve