PDA

View Full Version : How to make your own mini tank?

Coasting
09-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Does anyone have any good reads or suggestions when it comes to making your own tank? I'm not talking anything crazy here, just itty bitty like 1gal sized.
I have tons of plexi and lexan laying around, lots of silicone, and lots of time to do nothing.

How do you get the seams between the panes to look nice? Obviously most tanks have less then what, 1mm between 2 panes? Then the secondary seam on the inside. What is the proper order to attach the panes together? Bottom first then sides on top? Is it better to do all 4 sides the same width and sort of pinwheel it or 2 sides shorter?

I just want to see what will happen, HA!

monocus
09-28-2012, 08:47 PM
router the edges to make them smooth.silicone wont hold-use weldon or methyl chloride(?)

ScubaSteve
09-28-2012, 09:23 PM
If you use plexiglas, use Weldon 3 or 16. 16 is easier to use but 3 has much nicer results (I use Weldon 3 on a weekly basis for various projects). If you bring the cut pieces over to my house I can help you weld it together. We could finish it in less than 20 mins.

If you want to go glass and silicone, there are lots of little tips and tricks. PM me with your email address and I can give you a pretty good write up later on.

ScubaSteve
09-28-2012, 09:24 PM
And in terms of cutting the pieces, the bottom drawing in your attachment is the way to go. Have to sides held between the front and back.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-28-2012, 09:27 PM
I just picked up Weldon 16 at FiberTek at 1306 Boundary in Burnaby. Quite inexpensive too.

Coasting
09-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Drat, was hoping to get away with silicone on such a tiny box. Where would I find Weldon? Any chance home depot carrys something of the sort? Dont think I'll be heading out to the BBY for a bit :(

Nano
09-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Any place that sells plexi glass or acrylic will have it. Also I'm sure you could find it at a hardware store.

If you want really clean seams with acrylics there is a method called flame polishing which you may want to look up, I built a small 40g planted about 7 years ago when I built it I did this and the comparison to unpolished is unmatched and I'd highly recommend it. Basically you take a blow torch and lightly flame the cut edges to smooth out the blade marks.