PDA

View Full Version : Adding sand to established reef tank

sunoka
09-28-2012, 04:16 PM
I have 2 reef tanks on the go for the last 4-5 years. From vacing the sand and cleaning over the years the levels have dropped and need to be topped up.
I have sand from a couple of tanks that I shut down 2 years ago, now what is the best whey to do this can I slowly add small amounts over a few months or should I try to cycle the sand in a couple of tanks. I have 5 gal pale full of sand I need to cure. Input please I don`t want to screw this up my fish and coral are to important to me to take risks.

biggerstretch
09-28-2012, 04:47 PM
I would wash the sand thoroughly and add it slowly ... the sand will be dead and void of living bacteria however the dead stuff could cause an issue if you added it too fast... the solution to pollution is dilution. adding a 5 gallon pail of sand to a 2000 gallon tank is not an issue , adding it to a 75 gallon tank might be an issue ... just wash it outside , drain as much gunk out of it as you can and add it slowly .. dechlorinate the tank for what tap water may remain and possibly add some bacteria cultures like Dr. Tims just in case there is a spike from excess nitrates etc. If you just go slow you should be ok ...like all things with a reef tank slow is best ..

sunoka
09-28-2012, 11:15 PM
I would wash the sand thoroughly and add it slowly ... the sand will be dead and void of living bacteria however the dead stuff could cause an issue if you added it too fast... the solution to pollution is dilution. adding a 5 gallon pail of sand to a 2000 gallon tank is not an issue , adding it to a 75 gallon tank might be an issue ... just wash it outside , drain as much gunk out of it as you can and add it slowly .. dechlorinate the tank for what tap water may remain and possibly add some bacteria cultures like Dr. Tims just in case there is a spike from excess nitrates etc. If you just go slow you should be ok ...like all things with a reef tank slow is best ..

This was my thinking as well slow and easy!