PDA

View Full Version : Calgary - Saltwater Stores

nanoFX
09-28-2012, 03:11 PM
I am heading to Calgary this weekend, with Red Coral closed can anyone recommend a decent saltwater store to go to for livestock?

sphelps
09-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Golds and Ocean Creations are pretty much the only stores I use these days. Only two places that has consistently healthy livestock for a good price. Mostly fish based though, I find Calgary really lacking for decent coral supply, buy most that kind of stuff off local reefers. Speaking of which, you should visit Denny, he's pretty much got an LPS and Zoa/Paly store going ;)

FishyFishy!
09-28-2012, 03:18 PM
For corals, check out Snappy (Coral Master) Give him a shout to arrange a time.

Big Als has stepped up their game quite a bit as well. Worth a stop I think.

Frankly Canadian
09-29-2012, 04:01 AM
Anyone know where I can buy "Ocean Fresh" Pacifica Plankton fish food? I need a couple of bricks.:question:

Aquattro
09-29-2012, 04:12 AM
Anyone know where I can buy "Ocean Fresh" Pacifica Plankton fish food? I need a couple of bricks.:question:

In Calgary? Your profile says you're in Kelowna? Is this related to the thread?

For that product, PM TimT and ask for suppliers in your area...

Back on topic..

Frankly Canadian
09-29-2012, 09:28 PM
I always visit RC when in Cow Town, and I'll be there next week. Thanks for the lead.

jon in alberta
10-27-2012, 03:27 AM
ok I don't mean to start mud slinging ... but I went to Golds recently and found their prices good, and the guys there helpful and knowledgeable BUT

after I brought home my 400 dollars + worth of fish, one week later they were all dead, and so were 4 of my resident fish - including my tang and 2 clowns that I have had since the start of the tank. I am kinda new at this - so I don't know if it was my fault ... but I am 90 percent sure they had 'velvet'. I am still sad about losing those fish - so much character ...

.. and now my tank just has velvet.

anyway, I really miss Red Coral - I used to get everything from them, and them only. never one problem.

Aquattro
10-27-2012, 03:30 AM
Jon, sorry to hear this, but yes, it's your fault. All new fish should be quarantined. This isn't a Gold's issue, the issue is all these fish come in from the wild, mass collected and shipped to retailers. Some of them are sick. If you take a wild fish and add ti to your tank,you risk killing everything. I also learned this the hard way. The sick fish could have gone to any retailer in the country, just bad luck it ended up where you went shopping that day.

kien
10-27-2012, 04:34 AM
I am heading to Calgary this weekend, with Red Coral closed can anyone recommend a decent saltwater store to go to for livestock?

"decent" is a matter of opinion and you'll probably get lots :-) If you have the time I'd recommend visiting them all. They all have their plus and minuses and ya, my favourite was RC where I got mostly all my stuff but now that they are gone I find that I have to visit *all* the other stores to compensate for the loss of RC :cry:

From North to South (or more accurately, North to Less North):

Pisces Pet Emporium
Big Al's Supercentre
Ocean Creations
Wai's
Golds Aquarium

Non Traditional Stores:
Coralmaster (aka Snappy)

JDigital
10-27-2012, 04:56 AM
Has anyone been to Frank Aquarium on 32nd Ave near 19th St.. Noticed it a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to drop in and check it out... Possibly Freshwater only if I haven't seen it posted on a reef forum?

Myka
10-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Looks like Red Coral is surely missed! I used to like stopping in when I was on my way through Calgary once a year or so.

Jon, sorry to hear this, but yes, it's your fault. All new fish should be quarantined. This isn't a Gold's issue, the issue is all these fish come in from the wild, mass collected and shipped to retailers. Some of them are sick. If you take a wild fish and add ti to your tank,you risk killing everything. I also learned this the hard way. The sick fish could have gone to any retailer in the country, just bad luck it ended up where you went shopping that day.

+1.

xtreme
10-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Has anyone been to Frank Aquarium on 32nd Ave near 19th St.. Noticed it a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to drop in and check it out... Possibly Freshwater only if I haven't seen it posted on a reef forum?

Haven't been in Franco's for years but they were strictly FW last time I was there.

coolhandgoose
10-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Wais sells Pacifica plankton, but call around and see first. The big box stores don't carry it.

If you want awesome coral frags check out coralmaster.
Di resin and carbon give Eli a call (caco3 reef).

Enigma
10-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Looks like Red Coral is surely missed! I used to like stopping in when I was on my way through Calgary once a year or so.

The new location was pretty convinient and central for a lot of people. In addition to that, the layout was good and there was a nice selection of stuff that a lot of places don't carry. It is terrible that it is gone. :(

I'm really optimistic that between, Dave and Denny, Concept is going to fill a huge void when the storefront is officially open.

globaldesigns
10-27-2012, 05:25 PM
For corals, check out Snappy (Coral Master) Give him a shout to arrange a time.

Big Als has stepped up their game quite a bit as well. Worth a stop I think.

I agree +1... Andrew is doing a great job there. Great fish, that others don't have and overall pricing is also good on livestock and coral. Dry goods still pricey, but I find they will dicker a bit.

coolhandgoose
10-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Does anyone know the store hours for golds? I'be actually never been, twice I went there and they were closed.