PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a single Cree XP-G without stupid shipping..

SmallFry
09-28-2012, 04:18 AM
OK, so anyone got any ideas on this...

One of the cool white Cree XP-G leds on my DIY fixture is dim, flickering and looking close to death. All the others are happy, so it looks like I need a replacement on a star to fit my existing fixture... I got the originals from rapidled a good while ago. Their price for a new one is fine, but the shipping is excessive for a single one. I mean $15 for a $4.50 led. Seriously, you could throw the thing in an envelope for a buck or two?

Anyone know of somewhere in Canada hopefully that sell them on stars with more reasonable shipping?

Thanks in advance,
Rob.

Mike-fish
09-28-2012, 06:25 AM
Modular led might be able to help you out.

Spyd
09-28-2012, 11:46 AM
That is the question of the day!!!!

Why can you not find single LED's anywhere?? I never can figure out why they are not stocked in LFS....

11purewater
09-28-2012, 12:00 PM
DIY is bad for business me thinks:neutral:

sphelps
09-28-2012, 01:47 PM
If you ordered a few extra of each type you fixture uses then shipping would be more reasonable and you prevent this issue in the future. As for other sources you can get them on eBay from Hong Kong for around $5 including shipping but you're looking at 2-3 weeks delivery.

SmallFry
09-29-2012, 03:19 AM
Just an update, I emailed rapid led late last night and by this afternoon they emailed back saying said they could send one in a padded envelope by first class mail, rather than the usual shipping options.

Interestingly the offending LED is looking better today, but I think I'll still be getting a replacement..

Rob.

Snaz
09-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Sounds like a loose wire to me. Check the connections.

SmallFry
09-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Sounds like a loose wire to me. Check the connections.

Thanks for the thought, that was indeed my first instinct when I noticed it, but then I remembered that it is only one in a string of 12 emitters wired in series.
Presumably a loose connection would affect all emitters in the string, which apparently isn't happening, unless somehow the flickering is getting smoothed out so I don't notice it on the others. I've no idea what the mechanism might be, and the whites on the other side of the fixture don't look any different...

The algae growth on that side of the tank is a little different though, but I think that's because my snails are to lazy to climb up there.

Rob.

Milad
09-29-2012, 05:11 PM
it could just be when they placed the led on the board it was done badly. also you could redo your solder connections on that board to see if it fixes.

fyi i have them in Canada in small quantities just in case you need more in the future. shipping across the border is expensive. its not rapid's fault on the pricing.

SmallFry
10-01-2012, 03:46 AM
it could just be when they placed the led on the board it was done badly. also you could redo your solder connections on that board to see if it fixes.

fyi i have them in Canada in small quantities just in case you need more in the future. shipping across the border is expensive. its not rapid's fault on the pricing.

Thanks for the offer, and don't get me wrong here, I know it's not their fault, and they've offered to send them first class mail; it's just their website isn't set up for the odd (i.e. me) person ordering just one or two emitters so doesn't include that as an option. Thinking about it why would it be, I mean how often does that one come up?

On a side note I'm up to needing two now because I found another dead one. I think perhaps I might've either cooked a couple a bit soldering them or not got enough thermal grease under those particular ones...

Rob.