PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Anemone vs Bubble Tip

syncro
09-26-2012, 01:16 AM
My bubble tip anemone is fighting with my haddoni carpet anemone.

Each time I put the BTA in the tank, the carpet shows signs of stress. My latest attempt has been 3 weeks with no sign of improvement.

Anything I can try before permanently removing one anemone?

45g system, carbon reactor, 5g water changes (almost) weekly :).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8449/7952946534_c5d60eed9d_b.jpg

nrosdal
09-26-2012, 05:16 AM
i had a sebae in with my carpet and they both did well. The only difference i could see is that i had much more live rock and they were very separate.. like one on each far side of the tank (in a 120g).

They were both ok but when i added a clarki clown to the tank (he hosted in both anemones) they both seemed to vastly improve from where they were before he was added. I am not sure if the hosting made them both more comfortable or what but there was a night and day difference in both anemones.

not sure if any of that helps but... that is my experience with 2 anemones in one tank.

ponokareefer
09-26-2012, 12:01 PM
I would make sure your carbon reactor is working properly. There is likely chemical warfare going on and your best chance of stopping it is a lot of carbon. Still, in a 45 gallon system, it may just be to small for 2 different types of anemones. Consider that the haddoni will be big enough to fill almost the entire system when it is done growing.

Beautiful haddoni BTW! I'd be concerned about losing your other fish.

syncro
09-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks nrosdal and ponokareefer. The carbon reactor looks like it is working. I've only seen carpets kept with other anemones in larger tanks like nrosdal's 120g.

Now to decide which anemone to keep. The carpet was more demanding that I expected. Adding some dry rock to the sump stressed the carpet out for a week. Surprisingly this carpet has not eaten any fish even though the cardinals get within millimeters.