PDA

View Full Version : Dosing

04V10
09-25-2012, 04:01 AM
Hey everybody,

I'm looking into begin dosing my tank as my alk is on the low side, same with the magnesium and the calcium. Even after a 25% water change it seems to drop the residuals pretty quick. I did my water change on Friday and my alk is down to 7 dKH, Ca is 390, and Mg is 1220. My clam seems to be growing pretty good, same with my tri colored acro.

The salt I am using is Red Sea Coral Pro salt and I'm running my salinity at 1.025.

I have some red sea buffer that came with my test kit, but I'm wondering what you guys would recommend to use for suppliments brand wise. Hopefully something easy to use..lol. Also, I was wondering what equipment you would recommend for a dosing pump, with cost in minde, however I might upgrade to a bigger system in the next couple years.

I've got a 20 gal, so it's not like I have to dose a whole pile if that makes a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Northernseacorals
09-25-2012, 04:38 AM
Take a quick look over this thread, it's got some excellent information.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48321

FragIt Dan
09-25-2012, 06:06 AM
DIY your own dKh, it's really easy and idiot proof, get dry Ca and Mg if you can as it is much cheaper. Best price I have found is on Brightwell Aquatics, but I haven't shopped around in a while so there might be something else out there now. I wouldn't spend $ on a doser for that small a tank, just dose a bit in between your water changes to help keep up. If you are looking for a cheap doser for lighter duty work check out Marine Magic, but I would say you get what you pay for... I have three :)
Dan

Dan

intarsiabox
09-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Bulk Reef Supply has a "Reef Calculator" that can tell you how much of each to add to your tank to reach the desired levels.

04V10
09-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Sounds good guys. I'll just dose by hand. Looking at making an order probably tonight or tomorrow. Any site sponsors, if you're having a look at this thread, please chime in or pm me...lol. Thanks.