PDA

View Full Version : Great article comparing most of the high flow powerheads...

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-24-2012, 11:04 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/7/aafeature

Interesting to see the actual measured flow rates vs manufacturer's claims as well as efficiency ratings (flow gph/watt of power used). Testers measured actual flow, wattage used, etc. and compared these to what manufacturers are claiming for Tunze, Vortechs, Hydor Koralia, Maxijet1200s, Aqueon & Coralife powerheads.

Anthony

sphelps
09-24-2012, 11:18 PM
This has been discussed before but it should be noted for those who want to use such articles to compare tunze and vortech. Vortechs produce turbulent flow which read higher on the measuring device used while tunze produces more laminar flow patterns. This is why you see vortechs producing more than advertised and tunzes less.

MarkoD
09-24-2012, 11:23 PM
the biggest thing to compare is; quietness vs how much space it takes up in the tank

windcoast reefs
09-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Good article! handy for anyone looking to switch systems or start a tank! I still find myself using tunze though!

Enigma
09-25-2012, 11:54 AM
This has been discussed before but it should be noted for those who want to use such articles to compare tunze and vortech. Vortechs produce turbulent flow which read higher on the measuring device used while tunze produces more laminar flow patterns. This is why you see vortechs producing more than advertised and tunzes less.

Had I known that when I purchased my Vortechs I would have purchased Tunzes. The turbulence the Vortechs generate is hard to compensate for.

DAVE
09-25-2012, 01:05 PM

Well said. I think I pointed this out on Reef Central.

...The flowtracker is hardly the device I would use to measure powerhead flow

Canuckgod420
09-25-2012, 02:21 PM
the biggest thing to compare is; quietness vs how much space it takes up in the tank

This i agree with....

Anyone else find their Tunzes vibrate alot?

Aquattro
09-25-2012, 02:32 PM
This i agree with....

nope, not at all. Mine are completely silent.

KevinK
09-25-2012, 02:35 PM
my tunze's at 100% going on an off, dont make a sound, even with my ear against the glass

intarsiabox
09-25-2012, 04:09 PM
This i agree with....

Maybe check the shaft for any wear or missing bushings. There shouldn't be any vibration strong enough to hear.