PDA

View Full Version : Ca Test kit problem

leftme
04-17-2004, 12:12 AM
I am having trouble reading my Hagen Calcium test kit and I need help.
The colour change is suposed to go from pink to purple. I honestly can't see the colour change happen, I stop trying to get the test to work after my calcium reading would be over 800ppm.
To me the colour goes from pink to darker pink with various shades of pink in between. Any test kits that go from red to blue or something like that?

Clayton

Beverly
04-17-2004, 12:25 AM
Clayton,

I had trouble with the Hagen Ca test kit the first time I used it too, so I asked DH to do the test. He actually read the instructions in full, which states to shake the second bottle of reagent for a period of time. I hadn't done that and my test sounds like yours.

dyereefer
04-17-2004, 12:37 AM
I used hagens test kits in the past. I rec that you switch to salifert wayeasier to read and I believe that it is more accurate.

leftme
04-17-2004, 12:50 AM
Clayton,

I had trouble with the Hagen Ca test kit the first time I used it too, so I asked DH to do the test. He actually read the instructions in full, which states to shake the second bottle of reagent for a period of time. I hadn't done that and my test sounds like yours.

Can't remember if I shook [sp?] the second bottle or not, I'll try a test right now!

Thanks
Clayton

leftme
04-17-2004, 12:53 AM
I used hagens test kits in the past. I rec that you switch to salifert wayeasier to read and I believe that it is more accurate.

I was looking at the Salifert kits but they are about double the price, but now if I can't get the Hagen to work, I'll end up spending way more!!
Guess I shouldn't have cheaped out in the first place.

Clayton

Delphinus
04-17-2004, 03:25 AM
The Salifert ones are well worth the extra $$$. Pretty easy to use, pretty dramatic colour change (pink vs blue) on the titrations.