PDA

View Full Version : where to buy acrylic rods

Coralgurl
09-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Any suggestions?

FragIt Dan
09-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Do you have an 'industrial allied plastics' there? That's where I get mine in BC,
Dan

Dan

Coralgurl
09-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Going to try a hobby store, otherwise will have to look up plastics place as suggested. I'm committed now, just bought a drill :biggrin:

Aquattro
09-22-2012, 08:02 PM
I bought a drill, got a long drill bit, a bunch of rods, and then said screw it :) After laying out all my rock in the livingroom, I didn't have the energy to try and build structures.
But I digress...acrylic will be pricey, I bought fibreglass rods from a garden shop. Lots cheaper.

Coralgurl
09-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Well hobby shops don't carry and plastic shops closed saturdays. Crappy tire is a block away, may try in their garden centre, but I did get glue so that may be enough. Can always return the drill and bit.

Coralgurl
09-22-2012, 08:13 PM
What about pvc pipe? Would that work?

Aquattro
09-22-2012, 08:14 PM
What about pvc pipe? Would that work?

Yes, if you get the thicker walled stuff. But much bigger holes and better chance of breaking rock.

Aquattro
09-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Glue? Probably not. If you're not going to do the rod thing, just use gravity.

Coralgurl
09-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Glue? Probably not. If you're not going to do the rod thing, just use gravity.

Well I'm just going to work with what I've got and not make anything too complicated.

Aquattro
09-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Complicated can get to be too much. It can also fall down :) Some of mine got complicated, I have to adjust it often. One day I'm going to have to tear the left side apart to fix "complicated" and make it simple (and steady) :)

MMAX
09-22-2012, 11:09 PM
I know there's a place on the north end of C-Town by the airport, can't remember the name of it right now. I've bought acrylic rods and tubes from them before, minimum order was about $50. Grizz would be able to tell you the name, he buys from them quite a bit.

reefwars
09-22-2012, 11:16 PM
i used 1/2 " pvc on my bonsai build, i have all the bits and blades sheena to sculpt or drill any of your rock.

if you really want to do something cool look into shaving and notching the rocks themselves to fit together, if you would like some help i would be glad to help.

Coralgurl
09-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks Denny. There's something to be said about working with base rock vs live rock. I have great pieces of lr that are impossible to work with: base rock not a problem, just don't have a lot of it. I don't have anything to break it up, if you wanna come over by all means I'd love the help!

Coralgurl
09-22-2012, 11:39 PM
I know there's a place on the north end of C-Town by the airport, can't remember the name of it right now. I've bought acrylic rods and tubes from them before, minimum order was about $50. Grizz would be able to tell you the name, he buys from them quite a bit.

Too late, I've already started and actually happy I couldn't find the rods.

xtreme
09-23-2012, 12:43 AM
I have a 1/4" x 3' long piece you can have. Not sure what size you need but let me know if that helps.

Edit: Ooops, just saw you changed plans already.