PDA

View Full Version : Hanna instruments, hanna checkers

rhody605
09-22-2012, 03:35 PM
I am not trusting my API test kits and am looking at the palm hanna checkers for alkalinity and calcium. Any users out there that can give insight as to whether these units are worth getting?

Aquattro
09-22-2012, 03:39 PM
From the results I've seen some people post for Ca, I'll stick to test kits :) Alk is an easy Elos test, so I'll stick to that too. I do have a Hanna PO4 meter, it's ok....

Enigma
09-22-2012, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't purchase my Hanna Calcium checker again. It reads much higher than my ELOS and Seachem tritation tests (which agree with each other).

monocus
09-22-2012, 03:55 PM
i've had no problems with my test kits(calcium,alk,phos,nit,& iod)the checkers that need the button held on them i've printed hold on them to remind me.the ca does take practice to use as your using only 1/10 of the syringe to a full one of the regent and a lot of people make a mistake on this step.what i like about the checkers is that you are not having to compare colour scales,but are getting a digital readout

doch
09-23-2012, 03:35 PM
From the results I've seen some people post for Ca, I'll stick to test kits :) Alk is an easy Elos test, so I'll stick to that too. I do have a Hanna PO4 meter, it's ok....

+1.

I didn't like the Ca at all, and sold it. Alk is OK, but the other tests are super easy for that one anyways.

Phosphate is great. Bought that one, loved it, bought the others, and have been a little disapointed.

Myka
09-23-2012, 03:55 PM
There have definitely been a lot of complaints about the Hanna Calcium Checker, and plenty of praise for the Hanna Phosphate Checker. Murdoch brings up a good point that the alkalinity test is very simple (with any brand). I haven't tried any of the Hanna Checkers since I have been very happy with results of the different (and cheaper!) test kits I currently use.

My preferred test kits with second choice in brackets:

Calcium - Elos (API)
Alkalinity - Elos (API)
Magnesium - Salifert
Nitrate - API (Salifert)
Ammonia - API
Phosphate - D-D Merck

pH - handheld meter only, test kits are garbage.

FragIt Dan
09-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I like the Hanna Phosphate test and would recommend it, but took a while before I was ok with the Ca tester. In hindsight the only Hannah test kit I would get would be the phosphate one.

Dan

rhody605
09-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Thank you everyone for the excellent feed back.