PDA

View Full Version : sand recycling ?

russp
09-22-2012, 02:14 AM
night before last about midnight heard a popping sound from the basement and got up to see what it was , turns out my tank sprung a leak and water soaked my power bars and blew the breakers , Luckily i had a 90 gal tank in the garage so i set it on the floor and syphoned the water and transferred everything over but the sand . What do i do with the sand? I would like to use it again so do i just dry it out and rinse it good or what?

Acipenser
09-22-2012, 02:49 AM
I am in the same boat as you, I took down a tank recently and have the sand stored on my balcony for the last 3 weeks in a 5 gallon bucket. I was just going to put it in my tank if it doesn't stink. If it fails the smell test I am planning on rinsing it in the back yard , and throwing it in the tank .

Aquattro
09-22-2012, 02:51 AM
Any sand that hasn't been transferred immediately should be washed. Especially after 3 weeks :razz:

HaZRaTTy
09-22-2012, 03:47 AM
Any sand that hasn't been transferred immediately should be washed. Especially after 3 weeks :razz:

+1 That.

Even if it "passes" the smell test which I wouldn't put all the $$ i've spent in coral and fish on my nose. There will be die off, but you really need to rinse for the off gas!!

russp
09-22-2012, 01:40 PM
not planning on using it for a while so just a good rinse then let it dry out for storage and then it is ready for re use ?

Leah
09-22-2012, 01:42 PM
I would rinse it again before you use it, after it has sat around.