PDA

View Full Version : Phosban reactor question

sully08
09-21-2012, 10:28 PM
I am getting ready to set up a phosban reactor. Do you run these reactors continuously or just when they are needed. Would it hurt to run them steady.

Salt2Death
09-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Continually for your reactor. Nice slow bed movement, just enough to turn the media over

Sent Via Pirate Ship.......

Bblinks
09-21-2012, 11:30 PM
I run my carbon at a slow flow, just enough for a small tumble at the surface of the media and for phosphate I run it with high flow.

Salt2Death
09-21-2012, 11:47 PM
As per all my knowledge all media is to be slow tumble.... But you can double check anything and all advice from anyone. Lol

Sent Via Pirate Ship.......

gregzz4
09-22-2012, 12:50 AM
I run my carbon at a slow flow, just enough for a small tumble at the surface of the media and for phosphate I run it with high flow.
Hmm ... maybe we could get some clarity here
I don't want to start an arguement :smile: but I've seen the opposite recommended

In the quote below ( taken from this thread (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87187&highlight=reactor+flow+rates) ), Doug says higher flow for carbon, and lower flow for gfo
flow to carbon should be around 400-600 GPH and flow to GFO should be around 200-400 GPH....personally Ive only ever used "Rowaphos" and its supposed to look like boiling water when it has proper flow, so definitely not aggressively tumbling....cant speak for other kinds/brands of GFO

I've been running my carbon at a 'high boil' and my gfo at a more conservative 'rumble'

I've read 'boiling' carbon can allow particles to enter the DT and cause HLLE, so my carbon exits before my socks ...

What's the correct flow rates ?

Edit: To answer your question;
It's up to you. I run both of mine 24/7 but you could run them only when you need them

jorjef
09-22-2012, 12:53 AM
^^^Trouble maker^^^^^

gregzz4
09-22-2012, 12:53 AM
^^^Trouble maker^^^^^
:mrgreen:

Cal_stir
09-22-2012, 12:57 AM
I thought carbon was not to be tumbled as it grinds it up, I pack my carbon between sponges to keep it stationary.
I soft boil my gfo just enough to keep it moving throughout the reactor.

FragIt Dan
09-22-2012, 01:38 AM
I thought carbon was not to be tumbled as it grinds it up, I pack my carbon between sponges to keep it stationary.
I soft boil my gfo just enough to keep it moving throughout the reactor.

+1 ... I am under the impression that tumbling carbon erodes it which releases carbon dust into the tank. I have read some primary literature that showed the carbon dust can cause a disease in some species of fish. I have always fixed my carbon in place (ie inside a bag or between sponges) and fluidized my GFO at a light tumble.
Dan

Dan

gregzz4
09-22-2012, 01:52 AM
So what I've read, and been told, about using 1 cup of carbon in a TLF 150 for my 110g total system is not the best idea ...
I see the point where there will be no concern about carbon break-down and subsequent HLLE, or other issues, with a full reactor

Guess I'll be filling my reactor to the top from now on :smile:

Rice Reef
09-22-2012, 02:51 AM

+1.

Bblinks
09-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Hmm ... maybe we could get some clarity here
I don't want to start an arguement :smile: but I've seen the opposite recommended

In the quote below ( taken from this thread (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87187&highlight=reactor+flow+rates) ), Doug says higher flow for carbon, and lower flow for gfo

I've been running my carbon at a 'high boil' and my gfo at a more conservative 'rumble'

Greg, I think you should slow down on your "boiling" carbon, Carbon is activated by burning out the organic matter that was once in the vast series of pores which is extremely porus down to the molecular level. Think about when you are tumbling it at a boiling rate, it will not only pulverize the carbon into fine powder form it and leach some organic waste back into the water. There is a good article here (http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/carbonfiltration/a/Using-Activated-Carbon-In-Saltwater-Aquarium-Systems.htm) about the usage of carbon. Also if you run carbon 24/7 on the tank some say it might absorb a lot of the trace elements which might cause HLLE, all you have to do is to add some trace back into the water.

I've read 'boiling' carbon can allow particles to enter the DT and cause HLLE, so my carbon exits before my socks ...

What's the correct flow rates ?
I don't think there is a correct answer for that question. It all depends on how you use the carbon, what kind of carbon you use, reactor or passive and wether its 24/7 or few hours a day or once a month. It all plays a important role. I run my 24/7 so a slow tumble at the surface works for me. Now I don't have a solidified number for the flow rate but I am guessing around 150-175gph.

Edit: To answer your question;
It's up to you. I run both of mine 24/7 but you could run them only when you need them

Just my 2 pennies:wink:

Bblinks
09-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Oops almost forgot this thread is about GFO :redface:
I tumble my GFO at a "boil" so it doesn't clump together. I don't think it makes a diffence on the performance of the GFO as long as they don't solidify then you are fine.