PDA

View Full Version : Help from the DIY sump gods

WindowMaker
09-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Hey all,

Im starting to build a new stand and it seems like the perfect time to build a sump.

My dimensions will be roughly 48x12x14 tall (suggestions here please)

I would like to integrate room for a filter pad, bubble trap, skimmer, internal pump and refugium.

not overly certain about what order to line everything up in.

Opinions and input greatly appreciated.

Seth81
09-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Well the order I did everything was

Submerged return from tank -> filter socks -> Baffle -> Filter pads ( foam block and filter floss -> refugium -> baffle with filter floss -> Skimmer/retun pump section

The skimmer draws from just after the filter socks and returns water to the filter pad section. Also I am running carbon and GFO reactors off the main pump and return to the filter pad section as well.

Escuse the roughness of this sketch, yeah some detail is missing.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=735&pictureid=5598

Hey all,

Im starting to build a new stand and it seems like the perfect time to build a sump.

My dimensions will be roughly 48x12x14 tall (suggestions here please)

I would like to integrate room for a filter pad, bubble trap, skimmer, internal pump and refugium.

not overly certain about what order to line everything up in.

Opinions and input greatly appreciated.

intarsiabox
09-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Check out Melevsreef.com.

sphelps
09-21-2012, 07:31 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88438

spit.fire
09-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Well the order I did everything was

Submerged return from tank -> filter socks -> Baffle -> Filter pads ( foam block and filter floss -> refugium -> baffle with filter floss -> Skimmer/retun pump section

The skimmer draws from just after the filter socks and returns water to the filter pad section. Also I am running carbon and GFO reactors off the main pump and return to the filter pad section as well.

Escuse the roughness of this sketch, yeah some detail is missing.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=735&pictureid=5598

I think you just showed me how to fix my skimmer problem on my sps tank :D
Time to relocate the pump for my skimmer

Seth81
09-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Ha ha... Yeah I'm glad I could help! I'll try to get some real world pics of my setup tonight.

I think you just showed me how to fix my skimmer problem on my sps tank :D
Time to relocate the pump for my skimmer

toxic111
09-21-2012, 09:05 PM
You will probably need more height than 14" especially if you have a skimmer. My Vertex In-100 is higher than that.

The first thing to do is figure out what you want to used for a skimmer, and then work backwards from that to see what you have left for a sump.

Don't forget any other equipment you want to hide in the stand as well.

Even with my 48"x24"x28"h (inside) stand, I can only use a 3gal top up container.. no where near enough for my tank.

That said, skimmer first, then what ever is left.

WindowMaker
09-23-2012, 02:04 PM
thanks, I have a euro reef rs80 skimmer that I plan to stick with for now. It needs 6.5" of depth. Ive been looking at melvesreef for some design cues as well. Lets see what I can figure out.