PDA

View Full Version : Fox Corals

Enigma
09-20-2012, 11:21 PM
I was just checking a LFS's weekly sale flyer, and they have Fox Corals listed. I had never heard to them before, so I performed a quick search on them.

I find them quite interesting.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Coralgurl
09-20-2012, 11:39 PM
I have some, one of my faves tbh. They don't do much but I think very pretty! Don't like loads of flow.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Marie in Powell River has a huge one that she's kept for many, many years.

Enigma
09-20-2012, 11:46 PM
The photos of them that I've seen online are just lovely. I'm very tempted. They almost remind me of magnolia flowers.

I bet I can find a spot for one. :)

Coralgurl
09-20-2012, 11:49 PM
They are very much like flowers, ill send a pic later we are on our way out now.

Enigma
09-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Thanks, Sheena.

The photo of Marie's is here:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=453364&postcount=39

Wow! Thanks for mentioning it, SHF :)

I am most certainly going to pick at least one up. Maybe even two or three in slightly different colours. I bet they'd look really lovely placed together.

All of my LPS do very well, so I think this one should, too.

Enigma
09-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Well, I got my fox coral. It is lovely.

I almost didn't buy it . . . I have never seen so much bubble algae in a LFS's tanks as I saw at that place today. And, let's not forget the bryopsis. If I didn't already have both in my system there is not way I would have purchased it.

When I got it home I picked all of the bubbles off. I tweezed off as much of the bryopsis as I could.

Then it went into a 1:10 H202 to tankwater solution for five minutes (normally I do ten minutes, but I chickened out), and then into a Reef Dip solution for ten minutes.

Let's just say that it is not "happy" right now. If/when it opens up I'll take some pics. It looks like it might open up in the next day or two.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/IMG-20120922-00150_zps9ec4d9ef.jpg

Myka
09-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Here's a pic of mine from Mar 2008:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/March220085.jpg

Not long after that photo I fragged it into 3 pieces and sold 2. It was in my SPS tank for 3 years where it didn't do well and almost died...it didn't like it in there (lighting too strong I think), but now that I have the LPS/Zoa tank running it is very happy in there and has tripled in size in 3 months. It is quite a fast grower for an LPS coral. Fox Corals are photosynthetic, but they like shade. Mine is completely shaded from the T5s and just barely wiggles in light flow. It is a very hardy coral, but it is susceptible to rot/brown jelly if it gets sand blown on it.

Enigma
09-22-2012, 09:56 PM
That's gorgeous, Myka. :)

I've got mine on the sand, tucked under a frag rack that I've got on the tank wall. There may be a bit too much flow for it there. I won't really be able to tell until it opens up a bit more. I don't think the dips killed it, so if I find the right spot it should do well (I hope!).

The one I picked it is mostly green, with hints of white and pink. It looked very pastel.

marie
09-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Fox corals are pretty hardy, forgiving corals. They don't like a lot of light and flow but will tolerate it if acclimated.

They are completely incapable of protecting themselves so don't put next to corals that might send out sweepers. They will eat if you put food right on top of them but generally the current usually blows the food off before they can swallow it

Enigma
09-23-2012, 12:10 AM
I think I'm going to have to move things around a bit after the lights go out and my big hammer closes up for the night. This will do well where the hammer is, I think. The hammer can take a bit more flow. I've moved everything that can be easily moved already, for the hammer's new location.

Are fox corals as easily damaged by rocks as elegance are? Or, are they a little tougher, like hammers, frogspawn, and torches?