PDA

View Full Version : melanurus wrasse

Starry
09-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Planning on adding one to my 180 with fuge,that currently houses a plump lil mandarin. Think the wrasse would out compete the mandarin, or should be ok in a 180? Reason I wanna add the wrasse is for zoa nudies.

Proteus
09-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Should be fine. I kept mandarin and melanaus and yellow coris. Along with 6 other wrasses no problem

reefwars
09-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Planning on adding one to my 180 with fuge,that currently houses a plump lil mandarin. Think the wrasse would out compete the mandarin, or should be ok in a 180? Reason I wanna add the wrasse is for zoa nudies.

youll be fine for the dragonette , but a melanarus alone is not enough to get rid of nudis.

unfortunately if they are in your display your gonna have to remove all your zoas for qt, its next to impossible to get rid of them without dipping.

if you need any advice i would be glad to help you i see nudis all the time, every store in town has them;)

Starry
09-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Plan on doing that. unfortunatly my qt tank is full of montis from monti nudies, wanna clear those up first as they seem way more destructive,and harder to deal with. wrasse is more to catch any stragglers that are on the rock an sand after i remove the zoas to another tank.

doch
09-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Should be fine. I kept mandarin and melanaus and yellow coris. Along with 6 other wrasses no problem

+1.

I have 7 wrasses (one is a leopard), with a melanarus, and a mandarin. No issues. Fat healthy fish.

Salt2Death
09-20-2012, 09:24 PM
+1.

I have 7 wrasses (one is a leopard), with a melanarus, and a mandarin. No issues. Fat healthy fish.

That is a beautifully stocked tank!

Sent Via Pirate Ship.......

reefwars
09-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Plan on doing that. unfortunatly my qt tank is full of montis from monti nudies, wanna clear those up first as they seem way more destructive,and harder to deal with. wrasse is more to catch any stragglers that are on the rock an sand after i remove the zoas to another tank.

exactly the wrasses help keep them in check after youve done the treatments.

what are you using to treat the montis with??

zoa eating nudis arnt hard to get rid of it just takes a few weeks of dips to be sure the eggs are gone:)

Starry
09-21-2012, 02:04 AM
Combo of coral rx, luigos, poly ox, and flat worm exit. then a rinse and back into qt with 6 line.

Starry
09-21-2012, 02:07 AM
Actually thinking with the monti nidies, only 5 pieces. might be better off scrapping them and starting with new pieces in 6 months.

fishytime
09-21-2012, 02:59 AM
um.....I may have missed the memo or something but I dont ever remember reading anywhere that Halichoeres wrasses eat nudis.....flatworms and pyramid snails yes but nudis, no...perhaps one or two anecdotal reports but its not a general rule

Starry
09-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Still having to talk the wife out of a mystery wrasse after she seen yours Doug. lol. fuigred it was a good excuse to get a pretty, low cost wrasse. from what ive read they are good to great at eating any small morsels that move. if i have to loose my nem shrimp, so be it.

Starry
09-21-2012, 03:52 PM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/32-fish-profile

This is where I read about Melanurus eating nudies.

reefwars
09-21-2012, 04:22 PM
um.....I may have missed the memo or something but I dont ever remember reading anywhere that Halichoeres wrasses eat nudis.....flatworms and pyramid snails yes but nudis, no...perhaps one or two anecdotal reports but its not a general rule

they sure do, hundreds of reports on RC of them doing it,infact ive fed mine a couple nudis he had them long gone before they hit the bottom(im evil like that lol )

Starry
09-21-2012, 05:53 PM
think in combination with this guy, http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2113&pcatid=2113

they might do good clean up job.

reefwars
09-21-2012, 05:55 PM
think in combination with this guy, http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2113&pcatid=2113

they might do good clean up job.

yup you nailed it , in my fragtank i keep a yellow corris,melanarus,black leopard and green mandarin......theese are my watch dogs;)

i dont feed the fish and force them to hunt all day.

if you feed the melanarus he may stop hunting as much.