PDA

View Full Version : Sps help

Proteus
09-20-2012, 03:43 PM
I have a mini colony of purple poison shortcake for a month and it's not doin to hot. It has color so to speak. But no polyp extension. I know that most is caused by the leds I put it under. All Sps suffered a bit but have all come to flourish. I turned mp10 down to 20%.

Would moving it be ok or more harmfull

Aquattro
09-20-2012, 03:47 PM
I'd leave it. I bought one of those too, no polyps. Not much color either. I'm leaving mine alone and hoping for the best..

waynemah
09-20-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a mini colony of purple poison shortcake for a month and it's not doin to hot. It has color so to speak. But no polyp extension. I know that most is caused by the leds I put it under. All Sps suffered a bit but have all come to flourish. I turned mp10 down to 20%.

Would moving it be ok or more harmfull

One of mine is doing the same thing :sad:. The other is doing amazing. It doesn't matter where I place the unhappy one in my tank/frag tank it just seems to sit there and stay the same. Interested in what others have to say...

BlueTang<3
09-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Is it possible they have a bug or something?

waynemah
09-20-2012, 04:46 PM
I dip and inspect every coral before they hit the tank, mine was clean. I've seen other SPS do this as well, none of them made it :(

badfish!
09-20-2012, 04:50 PM
When I got mine from you they were all extending their polyps (excpet the blue one), but I haven't seen the acro with attitude and the purple poison extend theirs in a while, but their color still looks good. I'm in the process of changing from led's to an 8 bulb t5 fixture, because the led's were just making everything unhappy except for the purple valida thats been in there for a year and is used to it (it also does not extend any polyps). But they might also not extend their polyps in my tank because my hawkfish has claimed the frag rack and rests on everything on the rack all day.

fencer
09-20-2012, 04:58 PM
might be extending when lights are off...if it is not dying don't move it Acro eating bugs target mostly deep water corals. Is this a stag...can you post a pict

Aquattro
09-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Is it possible they have a bug or something?

Not mine, all corals are inspected under microscope. Everything else beside it is fine, this one just isn't a happy coral. It may come around, time will tell.

monocus
09-20-2012, 05:06 PM
try target feeding rotifers to the coral

Aquattro
09-20-2012, 05:08 PM
try target feeding rotifers to the coral

With no polyps out, that would be pointless. If feeding the tank mysis or brine shrimp doesn't illicit a feeding response, rotifers aren't going to do anything.

mr_alberta
09-20-2012, 05:21 PM
The ones in our store are slowly coloring back up with polyp extension but it's in a spot with a tunze 6045 pointed basically right at it...

Proteus
09-20-2012, 05:38 PM
I'll post a pic after work. The color is the better than weeks past. It directly across from mp10 with low flow. No bugs as I dipped it and all other Sps are good.

I do weekly water change of 5 gal on 30 gal system. Use prodibio

Bblinks
09-20-2012, 06:02 PM
I found it really hard to keep a true Aussie Strawberry Shortcake" Acropora microclados. I had few frags from several different sources and the only one that survived is the one I got from Don which came from a massive colony that has been growing in captivity, even though I think it looks more like a strawberry lime cake which is closer to purple poison short cake. I did acquire another piece thats sitting in the frag tank, it has only been a few weeks but its starting to grow a tiny bit around the bottom but yet the color is still brown. I guess only time will tell.