PDA

View Full Version : good and bad

Aquattro
04-16-2004, 01:31 AM
So the good is that my tank seems to be turning around from the last 5 months of tissue loss. Here is a pic of the tank at the beginning of the upswing. Hopefully some better shots are down the road.

http://www.islandreef.ca/post/tank.jpg

The bad is this dark fuzzy algae I have growing on my rocks. Anyone know what might eat this? I don't currently have any hermits and few snails.

Http://www.islandreef.ca/post/algae.jpg

props
04-16-2004, 03:36 AM
awesome tank brad!
i've had those fuzzy brown algea before my red legged crabs ate them all
but my blue ones barely touched them :rolleyes:
whats the size of your tank?

Aquattro
04-16-2004, 03:39 AM
Jesse, it's a 155g. I have 2 scaret hermits, think that's enough? :razz:

Did you have scarlets or some other red legged?

StirCrazy
04-16-2004, 03:44 AM
that pic looks a little washed out.. you have more color than that.. unless it changed in the last week :eek:

I have had some of that junk disappear Brad but but not much so I haven't a clue why.

Steve

Jack
04-16-2004, 04:24 AM
Still looks pretty good Brad. Good to hear it's making a steady recovery. Your tank has got to be one of my favorites that i've seen.

Did you do that huge water change?

Has the Mak 4 improved skimming at all?

Not sure about that algae. Wish there was an easy answer eh!

Aquattro
04-16-2004, 05:04 AM
Jack, thanks! You've been a loyal fan :razz:

I did a 75g water change the other day, and that didn't do anything bad, so that's good, right?
The MAK 4 has improved skimming a bit, but the sooner I get the new skimmer going, the better.
I treated for those nasty bugs, so once I'm sure I don't have to re-treat, I'll add a herd of hermits to see if that deals with this algae.
I'm starting to see some growth over the previously sloughed areas, so overall, things are looking up. Unfortunately I lost a few large colonies that I can't easily replace! And my pink milli is now alarge 3" frag :rolleyes:

Aquattro
04-16-2004, 05:06 AM
that pic looks a little washed out.. you have more color than that.. unless it changed in the last week :eek:

Yes, it's a bit washed out, but remember, I only got the $700 camera! :razz:

StirCrazy
04-16-2004, 05:12 AM
, but the sooner I get the new skimmer going, the better.

so i suppose you want to move the delivery date up to be for Christmas now :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Steve

LostMind
04-16-2004, 05:45 AM
I dunno brad. Whats the problem? Tank looks good.

Hehehe.

that brown algae is crappy, keeps coming back in one of my tanks. I only have a half dozen blue legs in that tank tho. maybe I should add some scarlets?

AJ_77
04-16-2004, 05:54 AM
Heck, I've never even seen Brad's tank and I'm trying to remember what it looks like... never mind the camera, what about the $700 software??

More like this, Steve? :wink: ooohhhh.... (sorry Brad, couldn't help it).

http://members.shaw.ca/AJ_77/brad_tank.jpg

Gujustud
04-16-2004, 06:00 AM
I highly recommend a scarlet. I've got one red scarlet that walks around all day eating algae. He just picks and picks most of the day, and does a pretty good job.

zulu_principle
04-16-2004, 06:09 AM
Is that the best pic you have of the algae ??

Wendell

Aquattro
04-16-2004, 06:33 AM
Is that the best pic you have of the algae ??

Wendell

So far. I can get a better one though, if you think it might help.

sumpfinfishe
04-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Good to see things are looking up Brad :cool:

I was starting to worry with you :sad:

I think that hermits may play a big factor on the algae cleanup. In my tank for the last 6 years I always try to keep about 25 or so and you know how big mine is :rolleyes:

As for the color, I would say it's a little on the bright side, what happened to the blue that you had in there :question:

http://www3.telus.net/sumpfinfishe/images/brad1.jpg

christyf5
04-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Hey Brad,

Good to hear things are finally looking up for you. :cool: You do have one of the best tanks around, its great to hear its bouncing back.
That damned brown algae is frustrating. I have it too (then again what algae, do I not have? :rolleyes: I checked in my Algae book by Sprung and it isn't in there (useless POS). Perhaps I'll have to check my Reef Inverts by Calfo. I haven't found anything to eat it so far but maybe I'll try the red scarlets as well. I only have an army of 2 at the moment.

Christy :)

Doug
04-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Brad, the best I can suggest for the algae is urchins. Just keep placing them back on the algae if they wander off. Kinda have to watch small frags though and likely sell them after algae is gone.

Jason McK
04-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Brad, Glad to hear your system is well on its way to a recovery.
I looks great.
I would try Margarita or Astria snails first. that way your not introducing something that may be undesirable in other aspect.

Jason

Aquattro
04-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Doug, I think an urchin would be too destructive in there. I have one in my RBTA tank, and it knocks everything over. It even took off with my pink zoos!

Jason, thanks. I don't think hermits would be bad, and they're easy to catch if they get too nasty. I also find scarlets are never ay trouble, unlike their blue legged cousins.

One_Divided
04-18-2004, 12:39 AM
I have the algae covering my entire tank as well.. Nothing has eaten it yet.. I have tons of hermits (several types).. I tried an urchin, tang and a toothbrush... no luck yet.. My rock is 90% covered in the same junk..

Aquattro
04-18-2004, 01:58 AM
I have the algae covering my entire tank as well.. Nothing has eaten it yet.. I have tons of hermits (several types).. I tried an urchin, tang and a toothbrush... no luck yet.. My rock is 90% covered in the same junk..

Well you're a bundle of sunshine, aren't you!! :razz:
I thought those hermits you got last time (blue somethingorother) ate it?

One_Divided
04-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Yeah there are a few types of hermits that seem to munch on it a bit, but if a tank is infested to the point that mine is, you'd need a lot to make a difference.. hmm.. Bulk order? I need some more hermies..

ldzielak
04-20-2004, 04:58 AM
Brad,

I have I big pink milli if you want. Also have some frags after the move on Sunday. Anything you need that I have is yours. Glad to hear your tank is getting back to normal.

Lee

Aquattro
04-20-2004, 06:38 AM
Thanks Lee, I apreciate the offer. I think I still have most of my stuff, except for the large tri color acro. The pink milli looks stable, so good there too :biggrin:

StirCrazy
04-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Brad, what about a sea hare for the algae? I am wondering if it would work on my crap also..

Lee, you by chance wouldent have been one of the guys that got a frag of the purple digitata from me would you?

Steve

Delphinus
04-20-2004, 02:13 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Steve... Those things are algae eating machines! Mine seems to eat all kinds of crap that no-one else will touch.

(... except for caulerpa, of course ... on that front I'm still screwed, nobody will touch that. :rolleyes: )

Aquattro
04-20-2004, 05:53 PM
don't sea hares explode and kill things?

StirCrazy
04-20-2004, 10:34 PM
don't sea hares explode and kill things?

:eek: I don't know do they?

Steve

Delphinus
04-20-2004, 10:48 PM
I'm a little unsure what the actual answer is. I don't think that they do.

From what I understand some species emit an inklike substance when harrassed, but I read on RC where people have had this happen without subsequent tank crashes. And not all species may do it?

I think the real risk is ... what do they eat after they have cleaned out your tank of hair algae?

In searching RC for a better answer to this question I came across a few mentions of them eating caulerpa. SCORE!! I'll let you know if mine does anything with it (he's in a different tank at the moment).