PDA

View Full Version : reefwars 2012 nano contest entry

reefwars
09-20-2012, 03:46 AM
hello gang , so for my first post ill keep it short and i wont release to much information.

i am doing a pedestal tank, my build is going to be a custom built 6.5g tank , the dimensions are 8.5 " long x 8.5" wide x 20" high

the tank is going to be something ive never done before and def anything but an easy maintance build.

i have decided to do a 100% azoox tank.

azzox tanks are not easy to keep and very few of them going around, its something ive always wanted to do but never had enough experience .

this is not going to be a permanant tank but a test as to whether or not to go all in with azoox corals, if this tank is a success after the 6mths i will upgrade to a small tank for long term.

there is going to be alot of diy work on this build and alot of new stuff for me including raising live food.

ill add more to the next post in the way of details:P

cheers

reefwars
09-20-2012, 03:53 AM
some shots of inspiration!!!!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwNIvcgGUjscRpWvf4lS367H4kGvVBE phvyYiNlhgEI7bk1mrQ

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIMm29v3a6-Yq9NRffXrozRuEsPSmn0eBG0sCW09KZPhrUVthf

heres a video of what a zoox tank is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoBnZe7URs

albert_dao
09-20-2012, 04:09 AM
Cat's out of the bag now eh? :P

rhody605
09-20-2012, 04:12 AM
Since the corals are non-photosynthetic, are they filter feeders of sorts? Please excuse my non knowing. Lol. What type of foods do the eat? I'm guessing zooplankton and such?

reefwars
09-20-2012, 04:15 AM
Cat's out of the bag now eh? :P

yeah i know biggest regret ever lol

so much work and so much trial and error lol i should have went with the zoa tank lol :P

reefwars
09-20-2012, 04:18 AM
Since the corals are non-photosynthetic, are they filter feeders of sorts? Please excuse my non knowing. Lol. What type of foods do the eat? I'm guessing zooplankton and such?

hey rhody,

some are filter feeders and some feed on prey they capture, some do both , the info on alot of them is nil.

food is going to be a mixture of prepared foods and livefood.

there will be a drip feed incorporated into the tank as well as live feedings.

albert_dao
09-20-2012, 04:34 AM
yeah i know biggest regret ever lol

so much work and so much trial and error lol i should have went with the zoa tank lol :P

Don't sweat it man! Azoo is easy once you nail down good habits. That's all it is, habits.

reefwars
09-20-2012, 04:41 AM
Don't sweat it man! Azoo is easy once you nail down good habits. That's all it is, habits.

ive had good luck with some of the easier stuff im a bit worried over the live food part, but at least ill work into that slowly, since i dont have alot of display room ill start with the easier stuff and replace it with some more advance corals as time goes by.

one smart move was setting this tank up in my fishroom, i have all kinds of room for equipment around the tank itself and noise,smell,clutter isnt an issue in here.

new water is only 4ft away and theres always 20g of new water kicking around.

i figure the only way this tank is going to get reg is if i make everything easily accessible for supplies:)

any azoox keepers out there id love to hear any ideas or tips you could offer as this build gooes on:)

albert_dao
09-20-2012, 04:49 AM
I have a tip for ya: Flow is king. 60+ x turnover each hour at least man. Settlement is the main reason people fail with AZoox. Keep the turnover high and you will keep organics in suspension for your protein skimmer to gobble up.

fishoholic
09-20-2012, 05:07 AM
Huh I've never heard the term azoox before now. Very cool Denny :thumb:

mrhasan
09-20-2012, 05:10 AM
Hitchhiking this thread :D

I guess you want more interactions with corals now :P

Although these is probably the most challenging type of reefing but if you can't do it, it can be marked as impossible :P

And if by any chance you would let go off some suns, I will be the first one to grab atleast a head :D

reefwars
09-20-2012, 06:24 AM
I have a tip for ya: Flow is king. 60+ x turnover each hour at least man. Settlement is the main reason people fail with AZoox. Keep the turnover high and you will keep organics in suspension for your protein skimmer to gobble up.

thats where i stand now figuring out the key components of my sump , what i should use and not use and how to plumb it together.

im still undecided as if ill use the display i have now or not, ill have a decision by the first ,its hard dimesions to work with lol

being so tall an being so narrow flow is gonna have a weird pattern thats for sure lol

Enigma
09-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Huh I've never heard the term azoox before now. Very cool Denny :thumb:

X2

Had to google it. :lol:

sphelps
09-20-2012, 02:57 PM
I think the tall tank is ideal for keeping things suspended. I'd run a small closed loop with the suction centered within the rock work and the outputs scattered around the base. This way you push water upwards keeping things suspended and you're constantly drawing water inwards towards the corals which will promote feeding. The base will look like Swiss cheese but that's OK :mrgreen:

Looking forward to this one buddy, don't let me down.

reefwars
09-20-2012, 03:30 PM
I think the tall tank is ideal for keeping things suspended. I'd run a small closed loop with the suction centered within the rock work and the outputs scattered around the base. This way you push water upwards keeping things suspended and you're constantly drawing water inwards towards the corals which will promote feeding. The base will look like Swiss cheese but that's OK :mrgreen:

Looking forward to this one buddy, don't let me down.

thats actuallly awesome, i was sitting here last night wondering how i can hide the plumbing and doing a closed loop through the bottom never even hit me :P

ok so now im going out to grab a few 1/2" or 3/4" bulkheads and see how many holes one can drill in 8" x 8" :)

sweet thanks steve:)

reefwars
09-20-2012, 03:31 PM
i think ill do a coral skeleton rubble sand bed to hide the bulkheads and small standpipes:)

reefwars
09-20-2012, 03:32 PM
X2

Had to google it. :lol:

ive wanted to do one for years, they are the hardest kind of reeftank to pull off but im up for the challenge:)

The Grizz
09-20-2012, 04:54 PM
What happened to waiting until the last minute to start this!! :razz: now I am going to have to start mine now too :twised:

albert_dao
09-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Before I forget to mention, you're also going to want to me allotments for a large host of scavengers. Specifically, I would be seeding all sorts of bristleworms, mini brittle stars and plenty of larger brittle stars. In my Dendro tank, I had 12 large brittle and serpent stars of various species. They're mostly unobtrusive and fulfill one of the most important roles in the tank - with the corals being unable to move and all. They're also less prone to stealing food from your corals, unlike shrimp and crabs.

Boxboy
09-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Sounds like its going to be amazing :) Cant wait to see how it turns out.

Enigma
09-20-2012, 09:27 PM

Holy smokes. That is pretty aggressive flow. The polyps must be pretty tough to not get cut on the skeleton or damaged.

Coralgurl
09-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Wow Denny, this is a great concept with gorgeous possibilities! Can't wait to see it.

albert_dao
09-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Holy smokes. That is pretty aggressive flow. The polyps must be pretty tough to not get cut on the skeleton or damaged.

Not really, they're just as delicate and easily torn as you'd expect. The idea here is that you're getting the proper type of flow - wide, gentle patterns where large bodies of water are moving. Modern powerheads are good at providing this sort of pattern, as long as you're taking the care to plan their placement so that it is in synergistic with your rock work.

Another problem you see often is the buffering effect of having two bodies of flow directed against one another, e.g. two powerheads pointed at one another from opposite ends of the tank. This not only reduces overall flow momentum, but creates shearing forces where the bodies meet. This uncomfortable zone is easily reflected in motile animals becoming stressed and/or feeling the proximity of these shearing zones (anemones will often vacate these areas).

HTH

reefwars
09-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Not really, they're just as delicate and easily torn as you'd expect. The idea here is that you're getting the proper type of flow - wide, gentle patterns where large bodies of water are moving. Modern powerheads are good at providing this sort of pattern, as long as you're taking the care to plan their placement so that it is in synergistic with your rock work.

Another problem you see often is the buffering effect of having two bodies of flow directed against one another, e.g. two powerheads pointed at one another from opposite ends of the tank. This not only reduces overall flow momentum, but creates shearing forces where the bodies meet. This uncomfortable zone is easily reflected in motile animals becoming stressed and/or feeling the proximity of these shearing zones (anemones will often vacate these areas).

HTH

hey albert whats your thought on the closed loop returns from the bottom, after thinking about it all day its soundig like my best possibility.my tank is not wide nor long...8.5" is tight, i can have 4 return lines coming out from the bottom with a inch of pvc buried in rubble, and i can have one large drain at the top.

it wold look clean without any equipment or pvc showing and i would still get a good turnover.

im thinking i could do one powerhead either pointed straight down from the feedline or straight across to the glass .....do you think if i added the powerhead it would cause to much turbulance or do you think the closed loop with all the flow rising is a good idea??

the tank livestock:

numerous suncorals on the bottom along with a carnation,feather star the gorgonians will be glued to the glass wall going up, and a dendro for the top of my rock pedestal(will show that later lol)

the cleanup crew you bring up now is a good point, im already having a hard time in my bonsai with the overfeeding and pods i can imagine ill have the same problem in this tank sooooo.......i wont have anyroom for anything that moves lol any ideas??

albert_dao
09-21-2012, 02:03 AM
hey albert whats your thought on the closed loop returns from the bottom, after thinking about it all day its soundig like my best possibility.my tank is not wide nor long...8.5" is tight, i can have 4 return lines coming out from the bottom with a inch of pvc buried in rubble, and i can have one large drain at the top.

it wold look clean without any equipment or pvc showing and i would still get a good turnover.

im thinking i could do one powerhead either pointed straight down from the feedline or straight across to the glass .....do you think if i added the powerhead it would cause to much turbulance or do you think the closed loop with all the flow rising is a good idea??

Well, not that it's the most helpful statement, but it is what it is. Personally, I'm not a fan of closed loops. They're not so great when it comes to flow/efficiency, reduce your flexibility when it comes to aquascaping and you always have to be mindful of the intake grill. Not to mention that, as you describe it, you have an inch of rubble/substrate that needs to cover the PVC. I would cringe to think of how much detritus you'd collect in that over the course of a year. Consider the nature of Azoox feeding routines...

Powerheads suffer from none of these problems and, with some creative planning, can be relatively unobtrusive.

the cleanup crew you bring up now is a good point, im already having a hard time in my bonsai with the overfeeding and pods i can imagine ill have the same problem in this tank sooooo.......i wont have anyroom for anything that moves lol any ideas??

You'll have room for brittle/serpent stars man. They don't walk around except at night and don't require a lot of space to hide during the day. If you get the banded serpent stars, they'll be largely invisible, no big waving arms all over the place during feeding them :)

reefwars
09-21-2012, 07:20 PM
ok did a little test last night for flow , i added a small amount of dusty sand then added one powerhead basically pointing straight down.

nothing settles in the tank anywhere, but heres what happens.

the flow pushes straight down, then hits the bottom and goes across the bottom of the tank then shoots straight back up....a giant loop.

if i add a second powerhead to the other side i get chaotic turbulence and sand going everywhere.

im skipping any substrate and im going with the classic return and drain scenario......i think flow is going to be fine with one powerhead, if it doesnt seem to work ill try it out with both....ill have to wait and see what the corals say about it:)

now to try to find some tiny bulkheads hehehe;P

sphelps
09-21-2012, 07:24 PM
It's a good thing I'm not a judge cause you'd be loosing major points for having three pages with no pictures.

Enigma
09-21-2012, 07:30 PM
It's a good thing I'm not a judge cause you'd be loosing major points for having three pages with no pictures.

+1.

In fact, I remember the contest organizer indicated that photos were incredibly important, and that crummy phone photos would certainly suffice.

It would sure be nice to have some photos of the powerhead test. I think it needs redone. :razz:

reefwars
09-21-2012, 07:57 PM
+1.

In fact, I remember the contest organizer indicated that photos were incredibly important, and that crummy phone photos would certainly suffice.

It would sure be nice to have some photos of the powerhead test. I think it needs redone. :razz:

i have pictures of everything just putting it all together and organized.

basically my tank is built, pedastal for rock is done, flow test done, feeder hooked up.

i just have to prep the sump, add my equipment to it and do the plumbing.

ill have pics of everything for everyone here very shortly, just wanted to get a few ideas on some things.

oh and i got my livestock order made for dec 1rst hehehe, i ordered some cool nps corals will see how they arrive:)

oh and with note....man are nice dendros hard to find in colonie size:(

Enigma
09-22-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm sure everything will be documented most excellently.

But, "smack talk" is still encouraged . . . yes? :lol:

reefwars
09-22-2012, 02:30 AM
But, "smack talk" is still encouraged . . . yes? :lol:

oh you better believe it lol , thats why i havnt really posted anything im waiting for some good ideas to steal:twised::twised:

The Grizz
09-22-2012, 03:39 AM
oh you better believe it lol , thats why i havnt really posted anything im waiting for some good ideas to steal:twised::twised:

That's why I am waiting until the deadline to post anything :twised:

Nano
09-22-2012, 04:24 AM
That's why I am waiting until the deadline to post anything :twised:

What are you using for a tank? any chance its that one I gave you? It needs some glory :P

The Grizz
09-22-2012, 04:26 AM
What are you using for a tank? any chance its that one I gave you? It needs some glory :P

Sorry but no it will be a custom built tank and that's all I am saying for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nano
09-22-2012, 04:27 AM
Dang. Lol well one day I may just ask If I can steal it back to set up a nano again ;)

reefwars
09-30-2012, 05:12 PM
well folks im just about ready to roll got my sump finished and baffles moved last night, tank is built and drilled and ready for plumbing, stand painted,built a diy auto feeder as well for this tank:)

tomorrow i will post the pics and progress i have so far.

today i grab some bulkheads and then this week it gets filled for the last time.

get ready to have your minds blown!!

reefwars
10-01-2012, 11:19 PM
this is the tank i am using it was origionally built as a freshwater resevoir for my ato but i am neverous of ato's so its never been set up , just collected dust untill now.

the tank is 6.5g and the dimensions are 8.5 " long x 8.5" wide x 20" high

i had filled the tank before drilling to even make sure it still held water and im glad to say it does

heres a pic of the fill:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_049_zps480aa9ff.jpg

i then decided to drill the tank in the back right corner for a 3/4" bulkhead

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_024_zps9272d593.jpg?t=1349132345

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_023_zps5a4de46a.jpg?t=1349133142

the tank sits dry now waiting for the plumbing to be assembled to the sump, all the plumbing will be clear vinyl tubing , and a small bit of pvc.

next post: stand choice

reefwars
10-01-2012, 11:29 PM
nexxt i had to choose a stand and lucky me i have this lamp that is juusssssssst shy of the tanks dimensions, the stand is a square lamp almost the exact same size as the tank . it has a shade and is built out of wood but needed to be painted so i painted it black.

basically this is the lamp i had taken off the shade so i can paint it.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_002_zps7f784086.jpg?t=1349132319

the shade has an asia type design on it and is white it slips down into the wooden frame.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_001_zpsd016486b.jpg?t=1349133112
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_003_zps3c647624.jpg?t=1349132320

and yes the light does actually work:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_004_zps4d450247.jpg?t=1349132322

next i painted the stand black and added some egg crate which is what the tank will sit on, the egg crate still needs to be painted black before the saltwater fill and plumbing happens:

not the best pic in the world but trust me 100% improvement lol

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_046_zpsc13f2641.jpg?t=1349133155

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_065_zpse107ea01.jpg?t=1349133170

now with the stand painted and the tank drilled i got to making the pedastel for inside the tank:)

next post:pedestal build

reefwars
10-01-2012, 11:41 PM
so with a tank so tall i didnt really want to be dealing with the hassels of liverock so i decided to do a pedestal tank basically a tank inside a tank seperate from all the corals.

here is what i came up with:

first the empty tanks, i decided to just use the one pedestal and not the small one added on top for now:P

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_301_zps2e2c3226.jpg?t=1349133187

my tall diy pestal made from scrap glass at my house:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_002_zps7c4681a9.jpg?t=1349133113

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_003_zpsc53bee7f.jpg?t=1349133114

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_009_zpsb0ecfe93.jpg?t=1349133123

the idea is to center this tank filled with rock inside the display tank;)

next came to filling this with rock, i had to use my grinder and diamond wheel to cut the rock in shapes i wanted and so everything fit together....no chance of toppling and plus this "pillar" is going to be removable at any time for cleaning etc.

i chose 3 pieces of rock from my liverock tank:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_004_zps02d09249.jpg?t=1349133116

these piece were akward and weirdly shaped.......so i played god and made them how i wanted them:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_006_zpsc5628e12.jpg?t=1349133119

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_007_zps58a219e4.jpg?t=1349133121

i then stacked them inside the "pillar" and siliconed them into place so they could not fall back or out of place, the silicone is in places you cannot see from the front of the tank:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_010_zpseccffdb3.jpg?t=1349133124

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_012_zps568ae499.jpg?t=1349133127

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_013_zps506e86a8.jpg?t=1349133130

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_014_zpsd8eecd3c.jpg?t=1349133131

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_017_zps3402ceb1.jpg?t=1349133135

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_018_zps72d06c72.jpg?t=1349133136

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_020_zpsa1ea2fee.jpg?t=1349133138

now with the insides of the tank done for rock i got to thinking how im going to feed some of these corals so i got to building a diy feeder using a media reactor and a modified majijet.

next post: diy auto feeder

Boxboy
10-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Wow, Thats super cool looking :) I wanna see livestock in there..

sphelps
10-02-2012, 12:02 AM
http://waznmentobe.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/SlowClap.gif

reefwars
10-02-2012, 12:06 AM
although i am capable of numerous daily feedings by hand i decided to do an diy autofeeder for the corals. the diy feeder is a large media reactor with the guts hauled out and a maxi jet trimmed down to fit inside the chamber , the maxijet feeds the tank from the chamber and is controlled via a valve for a consistant drip.

i have been able to set the drip as low as 1 drip every 7sec , i am entertaing the idea now to " t " off the maxi jet to keep the food stirred up or figure out something else.

the reactor will be drained daily and rinsed as part of my maintanance.

here she is:P

reactor still in working condition....such a shame lol

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_044_zpsfb44b7ef.jpg?t=1349133153

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_045_zpsa976a82f.jpg?t=1349133154

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_047_zps13f4ce78.jpg

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_046_zpsc6736689.jpg

next i hauled out the guts and media items

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_006_zps81796cda.jpg?t=1349132325

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_005_zps20b08f2b.jpg?t=1349132324

now of course when i first went to fit a maxi jet inside the chamber this was the result:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_008_zpsf39c9c35.jpg?t=1349132326

so i hauled out the cutter:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_010_zpsf3d55dc1.jpg?t=1349132328

and trimmed some weight off it so it fit snug and the input didnt get restricted once inside.

fits like a glove

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_012_zps2242bf13.jpg?t=1349132330

ok so then had to plumb the maxi jet to the output of the reactor

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_013_zps0659c40a.jpg?t=1349132331

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_014_zpsdc1ea273.jpg?t=1349132332

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_015_zps36de4309.jpg?t=1349132334

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_016_zps82c06357.jpg?t=1349132335

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_017_zpsa6a94046.jpg?t=1349132336

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_018_zps9a182347.jpg?t=1349132339

ran the cord out the output of the reactor

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_021_zpsa8fdc375.jpg?t=1349132342

the reactir will drip food into a powerhead pointed down from the top of the tank.so far its doing well in its trial runs , we will see once livestock gets added how well it feeds then:P

reefwars
10-02-2012, 12:17 AM
the tank has a back made from privacy glass to give a hazzy looking back ground, its see through but makes looking through seem like its in deepwater , so after hearing about the shadow box's i decided to put something behind the tank for an odd look.

i have a fake tree it staands just slighty taller then the nps tank , and all the branches are movable and bendable , and so this tree will be the background of the tank and i will purchase some smaller plants or shrubs for around the tank bottom .......kinda like a rainforest background:P

heres some pics , it hides the reactor feeder very well and any plumbing going back into the tank, plus it hides the sump and any other ugly things we try to hide up with pretty stands lol

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_058_zpsbbd0db7e.jpg?t=1349133168

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_056_zps86c53a01.jpg?t=1349132354

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_055_zpsecdc6042.jpg?t=1349133163

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_IMG_7718_zps317084fc.jpg?t=1349133391

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/bth_064_zpsb499de1f.jpg?t=1349133169

with a background idea in tow , a tank drilled and ready to go , some helpfull gadgets and doodads made i decided......what am i gonna do for a sump??

next post sump build

fishoholic
10-02-2012, 03:10 AM
Is the egg create the only thing holding the tank up?????? I constantly snap pieces of egg create all the time (very easily done) so won't the tank fall through????? Also the tank should have a piece of foam under it, then be sitting on plywood for a flat supported surface. Without a foam cushion or a flat surface to sit on you run the risk of the bottom breaking/cracking anytime a shift occurs. Surprised the egg create holds the weight of an empty tank :surprise:......did I miss something or is the tank really being supported by egg create?????

Otherwise looks cool and interesting.

reefwars
10-15-2012, 02:46 PM
the tank sits on the stand but just barely the eggcrate gives it some extra support, im not worried about its overall strength as ive had it filled with water several times and tank isnt that heavy...i can pick it up easily lol

reefwars
10-15-2012, 02:57 PM
ok been a crazy week and a bit but im slowly getting there sump is finished and bulkheads found.

i had a small set back and my skimmer for this build died so i have to throw the bones for another skimmer:(

also i have my livestock scheduled to show up in late november so besides the skimmer im right on track.

tank isnt filled with water yet but will be in the days to come.

there is no cycle on this tank so im not worried about time more about making sure i have all the small pieces i need to make it run smoothly lol

list of things i still need:

reactor
skimmer
return pump
some more liverock

here is the sump , i had an old sump lying around but needs some mods , the sump is old as hell and hasn t been used in a year.

the baffles are to close together and needed to be moved in order to accomodate a decent skimmer.

i moved the baffles and let here dry and its been sitting dry for a week or more now :P

here is the moded sump(nothing fancy)

origional:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/026_zps00f4bddd.jpg?t=1349133145

basically the middle baffle needed to be cut out and moved back towards the drains.

here it is moved...alot more freedom now heheh:P

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/reefwars%20azoox%20pedestal%20tank/040_zpsb09c47b5.jpg

in my next post ill show all my equipment so far and my tank etc.

stay tuned!!