PDA

View Full Version : Metal stand for 220G

Jason McK
09-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi All, Many of you know I took down my 400G tank about 2 years ago. Well I'm finally ready to start to build another. This time 220G self contained. No crazy fish room or anything like that.

So I went looking for a quote on getting a metal stand built for me and was asked some questions I do not know the answer to.
I've never worked with Metal so I'm wondering if anyone could help with what would be needed.
Design, where supports should be and what size box steel should be used
The tank will be 72x24x30. Id like the stand to be 36 tall

Thanks
Jason

The Grizz
09-19-2012, 06:15 PM
I use 1.5" x 1.5" x .125 wall square tube and with any tank over 4' long I put a center brace in the middle front, back, top & bottom. If you are look for a full open front then you need to use a heavier wall tube for the front top like a .188 wall.

Jason McK
09-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks Grizz. Don't need the full open front.

What did you do to attach a skin. Drill through the tube or have tabs added where needed to attach the skin

The Grizz
09-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Lot of options there when it comes to the skins. For the back I use what it called a Tex screw and just screw the back solid. The top I counter sink the Tex screws so they don't protrude past the top plywood and fill the holes.

Now for the sides & front it depends on what you want. If you want doors I would weld one side of the hinge to the stand & then attach the panels to the hinge. Use a few counter sunk magnet to hold it closed. If you just want removable panels , counter sink several round rare earth magnets top & bottom of the panel to catch the stand. Make sure to put a small piece of wood on the inside of the panel so it will sit on the base of your stand & keep all the panels level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk