PDA

View Full Version : Bristle Worm Question

The Guy
09-19-2012, 06:57 AM
I notice some bristle worms that come out once the lights go out, they seem quite long and about as thick as a garden worm. I tried to grab one with plastic tongs but they seem very strong and he broke off at about an inch long. The rest of it disappeared back into the rocks. I did see traps that are available, do they work or is there a better way to get rid of these creepy things:question:

gregzz4
09-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Hey Laurie, most bristleworms are beneficial

Have a look here (http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchhikers.html) under worms, and on the web, before you start ripping all those dudes to shreds :smile:

There are only a few you have to worry about - see fireworms

albert_dao
09-19-2012, 07:09 AM
:/

They're pretty awesome actually. I just recently seeded my nano with about 20 of them.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-19-2012, 07:26 AM
They mainly become a problem if you overfeed because then you'll cause a population explosion. I don't like them mainly because the bristles get on the rocks and such and then prickle your fingers when you pick and move stuff around in your tank.

The Guy
09-19-2012, 07:43 AM
So is it just the red ones that are the bad ones and do they have a head and tail or are they like a garden worm where there is no head or tail . I don't think I'm over feeding as I like to keep the fish hungry. I feed usually once a day and the odd time twice, but not often.

hillegom
09-19-2012, 04:27 PM
They are beneficial but the large ones can become problematic. They are part of the "cleanup crew" and eat detritus and uneaten food. Or a dead fish overnight.
If you want to get rid of some, try putting some food into a nylon stocking. Their bristles will get tangled up in the mesh and you throw out the whole thing in the morning.