PDA

View Full Version : naming zoanthids.....gone to hell

reefwars
09-18-2012, 04:45 PM
its a shame , it could have been a decent id system but coral sites, sellers and people making their own names daily have ruined what could have been a usefull id tool.

now the names have no meaning and are often made up on the spot, temp morphs get cool names and the second someone has something that looks like a named polyp they instantly call it that...sell it as that...and make it even worse.

if i started making up names for sps and lps off the top of my head how long do you think it would last?? not long.....so why did we let this happen to zoanthids:(

we need a new way.....

sphelps
09-18-2012, 04:54 PM
People make names up for SPS and LPS all the time, typically retailers. It means nothing, never has never will because at some point somebody made up the name in the exact same manor, it's not like they discovered a new species, just color which often depends on many things. Collectors should look for the coral not just the name. Personally I have always cared very little about what people call things, if I like the color and the price I buy it.

Aquattro
09-18-2012, 05:19 PM
People make names up for SPS and LPS all the time, typically retailers. It means nothing, never has never will because at some point somebody made up the name in the exact same manor, it's not like they discovered a new species, just color which often depends on many things. Collectors should look for the coral not just the name. Personally I have always cared very little about what people call things, if I like the color and the price I buy it.

Zactly!!

Chowder
09-18-2012, 05:28 PM
The only thing names are good for are so you know what the colour combo will be for zoas and palys. Mostly names were given so sellers can create more of a hype for that coral and demand a higher price. My favorite ID sight is Coralpedia,com for IDs.

Chris

reefwars
09-18-2012, 05:39 PM
yeah i use coralpedia mostly , i also like coralvault ,they dont have as much as coralpedia has on their site.

Chowder
09-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Have you tried submitting pictures of unnamed zoas or palys to coralpedia to try and name them yourself?

Chris

MKLKT
09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
I hate marketing speak for corals... even in different tanks the colours can change heavily. I'm of a science background so personally I'd just prefer the family name and perhaps a standardized colouration chart/acronym. I also have a hard time buying into the 'rarity' of some, just because it looks nice doesn't make it rare. Hell, I bet the ugliest coral that exists is probably the rarest.

It's like on eBay when I see *RARE* posted beside old video games that you can buy in bundles of 10.

reefwars
09-18-2012, 05:52 PM

Have you tried submitting pictures off unnamed zoas or palys to coralpedia to try and name them yourself?

Chris

yeah i did that , i named the dreamy people eaters on their site:biggrin:

reefwars
09-18-2012, 05:55 PM
coralpedia needs to update their site more often , they are very slow in responding or even adding anything to their site in the way of updates.

they have the right idea though, i guess where its free its what it is lol :P

Leah
09-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Blame it on the Zombies

Chowder
09-18-2012, 06:06 PM
yeah i did that , i named the dreamy people eaters on their site:biggrin:

Nice ... I named a few. It's kinda fun .

Chris

reefwars
09-18-2012, 06:09 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ71rEA2Usm8ARh4IBpXLQBRiwNc6voB 9MJSvVVSpTIKn5iMfpt

reefwars
09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Nice ... I named a few. It's kinda fun .

Chris

i have all kinds with no id's i prob should send them in , ive also seen the ones i named on others sites sold pp for high amounts.....im almost afraid to send anymore in lol

Chowder
09-18-2012, 06:15 PM
I've seen the odd mention of the ones I put names to. Mostly in people trying to Id what they have. The ones I have named are not that spectacular though.

Chris

reefwars
09-18-2012, 06:55 PM
I've seen the odd mention of the ones I put names to. Mostly in people trying to Id what they have. The ones I have named are not that spectacular though.

Chris

haha same here the pics i sent in were so bad im surprised they took them in lol i really need to get someone over who has a clue about cameras and get me some close up shots so i can get on it finally:)

sphelps
09-18-2012, 07:29 PM
haha same here the pics i sent in were so bad im surprised they took them in lol i really need to get someone over who has a clue about cameras and get me some close up shots so i can get on it finally:)
:wave:

reefwars
09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
:wave:

hahah yes please, all my photos are off an old android its sad, i had a loan of my friends dslr for a week and i got worse pics lol im that close to thinking that pics just dont really exist and people draw them and i just cant draw lol

Adread
09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
To me the name isn't important at all. If I like the look of the coral I buy it.

Coralpedia has lots of great pictures but they also have lots of doubles. Infact there are even two names for the same picture "red red wine" and some other one. Looks close to Darth Mauls. I have a bunch of zoas now that I have no
Name for and aren't even shown on the site. Still love em!

sphelps
09-18-2012, 07:54 PM
hahah yes please, all my photos are off an old android its sad, i had a loan of my friends dslr for a week and i got worse pics lol im that close to thinking that pics just dont really exist and people draw them and i just cant draw lol

I imagine I'll need some frags soon enough, when the times comes be ready :biggrin:

reefwars
09-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I imagine I'll need some frags soon enough, when the times comes be ready :biggrin:

giggady you get er!! :P

Chowder
09-18-2012, 08:02 PM

I use a Canon Xsi (I think) and always take top downs with a view finder I built out of a piece of PVC tub and an acrylic sheet. I can never get a good shot through a pain of glass. They always come up blurry and dull looking. I find you can pick up the colour of corals better with a top down. I am sure though Shelps can help you out with photos . He sems to have it down pat.

Chris