PDA

View Full Version : Fluke Tabs added

DEAD_BY_DAWN
09-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Ok finally had enough of my brown Antheilia so i dosed one a a half fluke tabs from what I've read other than soft corals possible crabs and shrimp nothing else will be affected ..
So lets give it a few days and see what happens if it's not a total melt down i have a few other tabs left for others who are battling this plague ..

DEAD_BY_DAWN
09-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Well it's all dead in less than 12 hours seems like everything else made it though ok to .
Time for a water change :)

Aquattro
09-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Wonder if that would work on blue star polyps :)

reefwars
09-17-2012, 07:25 PM

was just thinking the same thing lol

Aquattro
09-17-2012, 08:24 PM
was just thinking the same thing lol

trilinearmipmap suggests it will. I might try that...

DEAD_BY_DAWN
09-17-2012, 08:29 PM
It Kills all soft corals from my understanding blue cloves xenia anthelia etc .

reefwars
09-17-2012, 08:30 PM
sweet lol just so were on the same page are you talking about blue clove polyps??

reefwars
09-17-2012, 08:30 PM
It Kills all soft corals from my understanding blue cloves xenia anthelia etc .

there ya go awesome thanks:)

got a mass amount of blue and red clove polyps:(

Aquattro
09-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Almost every exposed area without a coral mounted to it is completely covered in blue clove. I'm gonna go buy some fluke tabs -lol

Aquattro
09-17-2012, 08:35 PM
John, where did you get it from?

DEAD_BY_DAWN
09-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Yes .
My tank contains mostly sps but there are some lps zoo's and a rose bta none were effected.
Oh i had some hydroids to and there also dead, so i guess that might mean that my millipora might be as well :/
So one loss i guess .

DEAD_BY_DAWN
09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
You can't buy them anymore in the states or canada i do how ever have 3 more pills left one was enough to kill all the soft corals in my 120 with in 12 hours

Aquattro
09-17-2012, 08:48 PM
You can't buy them anymore in the states or canada i do how ever have 3 more pills left one was enough to kill all the soft corals in my 120 with in 12 hours

I'd probably need 2, but you're best to hang onto yours, the stuff might come back. I think I might have a source for some..

DEAD_BY_DAWN
09-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Well your welcome to two shot me a pm if you like i can send a few over .

DEAD_BY_DAWN
09-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Update
Running carbon and skimmer plugged in and working normally.

Found the crabs that were eating my acro's dead :) well on there way to being dead so this might be a problem if you have emeralds or hermits snails however seem to be just fine .

daniella3d
09-18-2012, 02:52 AM
I have a hard time growing the blue clove. They grow a bit then they melt away. I use carbon and I have heard it will kill them...it seem to work for me as I have less and less of it.

Almost every exposed area without a coral mounted to it is completely covered in blue clove. I'm gonna go buy some fluke tabs -lol

Aquattro
09-18-2012, 03:59 AM
I have a hard time growing the blue clove. They grow a bit then they melt away. I use carbon and I have heard it will kill them...it seem to work for me as I have less and less of it.

I use carbon, it doesn't seem to have much effect :)

DEAD_BY_DAWN
09-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Update
Its been 24 hours and it seems like the only things that died were
one cleaner shrimp
two hitchhiker crabs
and my fire coral .
Did a late night check of the aquarium there are still tons of pods swimming around, worms and other small aquatic life are unaffected .
Clams and true corals are all doing fine .

mseepman
09-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Did you have any mushrooms? I have a plague of mushrooms and I would love to "kill em all!"

DEAD_BY_DAWN
09-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Only one or two and they made it though ok

Borderjumper
09-18-2012, 08:12 PM

There's a thread on RC a guy started who says his tank as overrun with them.. Looking at the before and after photos seems it does work.

A quick google shows two ingredients in fluke tabs. I have a jar of FLAW ( FLuke and ANchor worms) that is one of the two ingredients.

Ryan-b
09-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Does Anyone in Canada have access to these? I have a forest of anthelia at the back of my tank, that I'm sick of trimming, as it creeps to the front of my tank. Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan

DEAD_BY_DAWN
09-19-2012, 03:43 AM
How big is your tank ?
I have a few pills to spare i would suggest removing as much of the anthelia by hand though before adding the fluke tabs.

dreef
09-19-2012, 04:12 AM
John I'm going to help out ryan and ship him some out this week.Hang on to yours,but if brads order doesn't pan out,i'm going to help him out as well.

Ryan-b
09-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks again dreef! Ya I'm goingto manually remove as much as I can, with the amount I have I'm sure there would be a ammonia spike, I also have blue clove polyps in abundance aswell so I'm alittle apprehensive about doing it but I can't stand the anthelia or the bcp. I will take a pic of the forest for a before and after pic.

dreef
09-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Waving hand is the plague,my wife thought it was pretty when i made the mistake yrs. ago.I was lucky i could remove the 14 lb. rock it was on.A pressure washer just peeled it off,it never returned :)

Aquattro
09-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Ok, 18 hours into treatment, I see bits of cleaner shrimp, so I'm assuming they died and got eaten. Water is a bit cloudy, so I've turned the skimmer back on, I'll give it a bit to add carbon or do the water change. As for the blue cloves, only about 3 billion left, although they look agitated. Hopefully they disappear soon. Hate to have killed my shrimp for nothing :(

For those who have done this and killed the blue cloves, how long did it take for them to be gone?

dreef
09-29-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm sorry Brad,i meant no harm to your tank critters :( Another member "collin" got some tabs from me and nuked his waving hand and had no losses.

Aquattro
09-29-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm sorry Brad,i meant no harm to your tank critters :( Another member "collin" got some tabs from me and nuked his waving hand and had no losses.

Nothing to be sorry about, I knew the shrimp were at risk. just hope the blue stuff goes away eventually. it doesn't look happy at all and there is some recession, so I'm hopeful it dies completely. :)

don.ald
09-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Brad, Do the blue cloves harm other corals?
R.

Aquattro
09-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Brad, Do the blue cloves harm other corals?
R.

Not really. They might prevent some encrusting, but they just grow in plague proportions.

DEAD_BY_DAWN
09-30-2012, 02:28 AM
Since last treatment update I've lost the three turbos but nothing else .
Not one piece of soft coral is left though.
(it was all gone in about 48hours)

Aquattro
09-30-2012, 04:39 AM
I'm at about 28 hours now, and the cloves look really ****ed...hopefully it keeps going that way.

reefwars
09-30-2012, 05:21 AM
Not really. They might prevent some encrusting, but they just grow in plague proportions.

haha i have palys that have blue cloves growing right up the stalk thats how intrusive they are but it obviously doesnt bother the palys as they are open all the time, im just amazed it was able to grow up the stalks like that:)

Aquattro
09-30-2012, 05:33 AM
haha i have palys that have blue cloves growing right up the stalk thats how intrusive they are but it obviously doesnt bother the palys as they are open all the time, im just amazed it was able to grow up the stalks like that:)

Seriously, I'm pretty sure if my fish slow down they'll start getting over grown in the damn things!!
On a good note, I can start to see rock in the tank again, hopefully by Monday all these blue monsters are gone!

MMAX
09-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Seriously, I'm pretty sure if my fish slow down they'll start getting over grown in the damn things!!
On a good note, I can start to see rock in the tank again, hopefully by Monday all these blue monsters are gone!

Keep us posted, I might have to try some if it works for you.

daniella3d
10-01-2012, 01:04 AM
oh geee..when I think that I have so much trouble growing those blue cloves. They grow and then for no apparent reason they just melt alway. wierd.

When you want them you can't grow them and when you don't want them you can't get rid of them. I wish I had them all over my rocks, everywhere except on corals.

Aquattro
10-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Update. It appears that the tabs may have in fact killed the blue cloves. Now, before you run out and find some tabs, be careful with how much "dead" you want in your tank. I figure I had enough cloves to cover 12 sq. ft. Now that it's all dying or dead, I "may" have a bit a water quality issue. By bit, I mean my tank is cloudy, smelly, skimmer going nuts water quality issues. Mixing a new 50g bin right now, I'll probably need to change out 200g of water by the end of the week end.
While this is what I might consider bad, it was somewhat expected with the amount if life I was killing in a closed system.
Hopefully it doesn't continue downhill, or it might mean I nuked my whole tank.
For a few polyps(less than 100k :)), fine, but in a large tank with every surface covered, it's not really the smartest thing you could do :razz:

Borderjumper
10-03-2012, 04:34 AM
Update. It appears that the tabs may have in fact killed the blue cloves. Now, before you run out and find some tabs, be careful with how much "dead" you want in your tank. I figure I had enough cloves to cover 12 sq. ft. Now that it's all dying or dead, I "may" have a bit a water quality issue. By bit, I mean my tank is cloudy, smelly, skimmer going nuts water quality issues. Mixing a new 50g bin right now, I'll probably need to change out 200g of water by the end of the week end.
While this is what I might consider bad, it was somewhat expected with the amount if life I was killing in a closed system.
Hopefully it doesn't continue downhill, or it might mean I nuked my whole tank.
For a few polyps(less than 100k :)), fine, but in a large tank with every surface covered, it's not really the smartest thing you could do :razz:

OMG your brave.. Your tank is so nice!

Aquattro
10-03-2012, 05:05 AM
OMG your brave.. Your tank is so nice!

Ya, brave is one word you could use. Not the one I'm going with, but I'll take it :)
The tank, or rather the whole room smells like dying crap...skimmer had chunks in it like I've never seen before. But all the critters seem fine, and no browning of the SPS (yet). I'll do another 25% WC tomorrow and try to siphon off some of the dead polyp tissue. It's really ugly right now.

MMAX
10-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Just how many of those little buggers did you have in your tank? By the sounds of things you must have had plauge proportions over every square inch. I try to keep mine in check as much as possible, but they have started growing up the sides and back of my center overflow where I can't get to them. Maybe mine won't be as bad if I nail them now.

Aquattro
10-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Just how many of those little buggers did you have in your tank?

Every piece of bare rock was thick with them, and the back glass, part of the front glass, all along the front sand and on all the pumps and overflow. If you're going to try and kill them, do it while they're manageable. I knew that doing this would put a heavy load on the tank, but figured it was in pretty good health and could handle it. So far everything is coping ok, but I need to assess the livestock every 6 hours minimum and be prepared to do emergency water changes with tap water and crap salt :)

Aquattro
10-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Further update: The tabs did in fact kill the polyps, and a thorough scrubbing with a toothbrush, followed by several filter socks cleaned up the tank nicely. Other than the 2 cleaner shrimp, no casualties. Corals are fine, fish are fine and tank is clear again. Haven't tested for NO3, I think my kit expired in 2006, so I'll just watch the corals.

dreef
10-05-2012, 02:31 AM
GREAT news Brad,i was waiting for an update.I know your tank is loaded with sps,and i'm an acropora addict.All i was doing was trying to help,i would have been crushed if i crashed your tank.

Aquattro
10-05-2012, 03:54 AM
GREAT news Brad,i was waiting for an update.I know your tank is loaded with sps,and i'm an acropora addict.All i was doing was trying to help,i would have been crushed if i crashed your tank.

lol, I'm the one that added the tabs, not you. It was a decision based on a bunch of research and the only concern was managing the dying polyps and water quality. It worked out pretty good.

don.ald
10-05-2012, 01:46 PM
lol, I'm the one that added the tabs, not you. It was a decision based on a bunch of research and the only concern was managing the dying polyps and water quality. It worked out pretty good.

Before and after pics?

Aquattro
10-05-2012, 01:53 PM
I've got a during pic I'll post later today :)

FishyFishy!
10-05-2012, 02:36 PM
:pop2:

Aquattro
10-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Ok, here's the day after the Nuke Tabs were added

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/reef_raf/death.jpg

DEAD_BY_DAWN
10-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Yikes i'm surprised you managed to sleep ..lol

Aquattro
10-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Yikes i'm surprised you managed to sleep ..lol

You should have seen it after I scrapped all the rock with a toothbrush. I couldn't see the fish :)

Parker
10-05-2012, 03:33 PM
I bet that sight made body parts pucker!

Aquattro
10-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I bet that sight made body parts pucker!

Pretty much! I was waiting for the fish to jump out or die. But they didn't seem bothered at all...

MMAX
10-19-2012, 03:43 AM
Bringing this thread to life again, just started my treatment for blue cloves tonight. Put in 1.5 tabs in my 150gal system at around 7:30pm, we'll see how it goes. Already my gold coral banded shrimp is feeling the effects. I never see this guy, he's totally nocturnal, but he's out now. Probably going to be a goner soon if the fish don't get to him first. The blue throat trigger, foxface and scopas tang are all ganging up on him. RIP little buddy.

Aquattro
10-19-2012, 05:22 AM
Sorry, missed your PM earlier. Ya, that's the right amount of tab. I left mine 48 hours, then did a water change, added carbon and turned skimmer back on. I had to toothbrush the dead polyps off afterwards, lost 2 cleaner shrimp and one type of snail.

MMAX
10-19-2012, 08:15 PM
19 hours into treatment and the blue cloves are looking like a sorry bunch. The tabs are also working wonders on a whole pile of hydroids I had in there. So far so good for the coral banded shrimp--alive and well.

MMAX
10-21-2012, 03:40 AM
Well she's pretty much a done deal. Just over 48hrs and the cloves appear to be dead. Going to give it overnight, tomorrow I'll brush off all the carcasses, 20gal water change and add carbon. Confirmed casualties so far...1 Trochus snail. The coral banded shrimp has disappeared. Maybe he just went into hiding again or maybe he's dead, don't know. No bodies anyways.

Aquattro
10-21-2012, 03:43 AM
No bodies anyways.

I never found my cleaner shrimps. Think I saw a leg float by, that's about it.

And I'd personally do much more than 20g change. I did 50g three times over the week, which probably wasn't enough..

MMAX
10-21-2012, 04:45 AM
I never found my cleaner shrimps. Think I saw a leg float by, that's about it.

And I'd personally do much more than 20g change. I did 50g three times over the week, which probably wasn't enough..

Yeah I know. Right after this 20 goes in I have another batch of 20 RO ready to mix, heat and dump. I was thinking probably 3-4 batches of 20 gal over the next few days.

Madreefer
03-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Just thought i'd keep this thread going. I added 2 fluke tabs I got from a fellow canreefer:thumb: last night at 10:00 after catching my shrimps and putting in another tank. My tank is infested with clove polyps and today is the first time I have never seen them open. I'm hoping they are all dead and gone after 4 days.

Aquattro
03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Bill, with mine, dead yes, gone no. I had to brush them all off with a toothbrush. Not fun.

Madreefer
03-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Oh really? Well crap. They're in every nook and cranny. I'll wait for day 4 and scrub them with a denture brush. It's way stiffer than a toothbrush. So they've never returned? And is it necessary to scrub off the matting or does it eventually disappear?

Aquattro
03-01-2013, 08:28 PM
I scrubbed right to bare rock. It wasn't bad and a toothbrush did the job fine. Probably better than a stiffer brush, as it flexes into the crevices. Took about 15 minutes to brush them all off.
So far, nothing has come back.

Madreefer
03-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Oh cool thanks. I usually use a paring knife when my wifes not looking. I hate clove polyps! I'm glad this works as i've often thought of ripping my tank down and starting over due to them.

Aquattro
03-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Yup, pretty happy with the tabs. Almost tore mine down too. Hate those f'ers!!

Madreefer
03-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Well my last update. The fluke tabs worked awesome. All the clove polyps are gone. Only thing I lost was my pipe organ coral.