PDA

View Full Version : New Display Tank Design

UnderWorldAquatics
04-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Our large display tank is being built at this time(7500gallons+)and will take awhile to be setup as the building it is going to be housed in has not yet been built, so in the meantime we are building a smaller display tank that we will have complete and ready to install in about 2 months or so.... The tank will be fiberglass with a single acrylic viewing window. Dimensions in the design stage so far are, 7'longx5'deepx5'tall, the front right corner will be built with a 2' radius curve to it so that the acrylic window will go from the far left front of the tank to the right rear side of the tank, the window will be a single curved piece of acrylic. The size was chosen because of space restrictions in our house(we have a small house from the 40's). It should be large enough to house some small schools of fish and be fairly impressive to see, the tank itself will hold about 1200gallons, with additional volume held in multiple sumps. Havent decided on skimmer yet, mabey a ETSS quad 1800, I would consider a RK2 like I will be using on its bigger brother but I am housing the filtration below the tank in a cellar with 6' ceilings so I am height restricted.... This tank will feature some nice fiberglass rockwork but I do want to incorporate liverock into this display as well to aid in bio-filtration. Was probably going to do fiberglass rockwork on the left wall as well as the back wall with an additional pillar towards the right front corner of the tank where the acrylic viewing window curves, good chance I will put an additional overflow in the pillar as well. Lighting will probably be 4x400W metal halides and a bunch of power compact attinics, unless I can sort out the LED lighting I have been working on(hopefully) I have a new line of pumps that I am carrying that I will be using, very energy efficient with good flow rates. Will use a 1hp chiller to help keep it cool, havent decided how to finish the outside yet, the tank will be insulated and mabey it will get framed with anceint roman pillars or something... th tank will sit about 1 1/2' of the floor and extend to the ceiling with the canopy fasade in place. Ill update with pics as construction commences...

LostMind
04-15-2004, 07:25 AM
sounds interesting

Bartman
04-15-2004, 09:03 AM
sounds interesting

Interesting? Sounds freakin' awesome. :eek: :mrgreen: :cool:

Pics at some point?

Gujustud
04-15-2004, 03:04 PM
sounds... big. :lol:

UnderWorldAquatics
04-15-2004, 05:26 PM
:mrgreen: :cool:

Pics at some point?

I will have pics all the way through construction and installation, I will also be bringing the tank down to vancouver on a trailer to show a few clients before it is installed.

dirtyreefer
04-17-2004, 05:24 AM
Do you have a retail store in Kelowna? I'm originally from there, and the only place I have seen that is not a pet store is a place on Kirschner (sp?) which is an auto body, but there were also marine aquariums in the front of the shop. I think this was a side business. Is that you?

Jaws
04-17-2004, 07:19 AM
What Kelvin rating are you going to use for the MH's?

UnderWorldAquatics
04-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Jack at A-Z Autotech is a good friend of mine, I have heled him out over the years and supplied him with various things. Jack is a great guy! We will be opening a showroom as soon as we can, I have had many things come up which have deayed the opening of our showroom but what can you expect when you dont have a few hundred thousand in your back pocket waiting to be burned....

for lighting I am trying to stick with my plan of using alot of LED lighting, it is a great tank to experemint with

If I do use MH lighting I woill probably use a combo of 10k and 20K like I usually do