PDA

View Full Version : Return pump / sump questions ?

Acipenser
09-16-2012, 10:46 PM
I have been researching and am planning a 5 gallon sump for use with my 15g tank,total water volume in the sump to be about 3 gallons at any given time. I am looking at about 150 gph turnover for the display tank. The head from the sump to return will be about 3 feet . I am wondering about the various pumps and what I should be looking at . Thoughts ?

I am considering the quiet one 1200 $46.95.
Eheim Compact Pump 1000 $36.95
Danner Mag-Drive 250 Supreme Water Pump $62.95

Acipenser
09-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Secondly I have a slim skim nano skimmer that I plan on using, should this go right next to the outflow ?

Salt2Death
09-17-2012, 03:56 AM
I have been researching and am planning a 5 gallon sump for use with my 15g tank,total water volume in the sump to be about 3 gallons at any given time. I am looking at about 150 gph turnover for the display tank. The head from the sump to return will be about 3 feet . I am wondering about the various pumps and what I should be looking at . Thoughts ?

I am considering the quiet one 1200 $46.95.
Eheim Compact Pump 1000 $36.95
Danner Mag-Drive 250 Supreme Water Pump $62.95

Eheim and Mag are great pumps...
In that level of turn over the Eheim will do you fine and save 30$ to spend else where on this build up!
My skimmers are always in the first chamber in my sumps .... If that's any help at all.

Btw, great thinking, sumps are so much more beneficial to your tank!

Good Luck n Keep Posting!!!

Sent Via Pirate Ship.......

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-17-2012, 03:58 AM
Eheim will be the quietest & most reliable of the pumps.

aquatechy
09-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Go with an Eheim. Expensive, relative to mag and sedra pumps, but better because they are quiet and reliable

Enigma
09-17-2012, 04:55 PM
I use two of the Eheim Compact 2000 pumps in my main system, and they are great. They're quiet and low wattage. :)

I'm guessing that your sump isn't baffled?

I've just picked up one of these skimmers as well, so I can't comment on it yet. I have read that there can be issues with microbubbles, so I would try to position it in a way where the return pump won't pick up too many of the microbubbles. That may be tough, and it might require some fiddling.

I have run mine in a vinegar/water solution to get it all cleaned out. There weren't any microbubbles, but a run in saltwater may change that.

Acipenser
09-17-2012, 08:29 PM
I plan on putting some baffles in the sump.
1st about 2 inches below the rim of the tank the skimmer will go in here next I will have 3 baffles that are 4 inches high these will be 1 inch apart and then the final chamber will be about 1/2 of the tank I will have the return pump.
I just got back from J&L and picked up the Eheim Compact Pump 1000.

Enigma
09-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Excellent. The skimmer should go in the opposite compartment from the return pump: where the water from the display flows into the sump.