PDA

View Full Version : Newbie stocking question

RenHoek104
09-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the saltwater keeping hobby and I have a few questions about possible stocking.

I currently have a 33 gallon DT and a 10 gallon sump setup. I have a small refugium within the sump and 2 other compartments. I'm using a CS50 overflow (CPR), an Eheim Compact+ 2000 return pump, 2 Hydor Evo 750s and an Eshopps PSK-100H skimmer. I have live rock and base rock (over 50 lbs total) and I used live sand (20 lbs of Ocean Direct and about 17 lbs of Arag Alive, 3 lbs in the refugium). So far so good.

I have a fire shrimp, 7 red hermit crabs, 3 astrea snails, a few zoas and mushes (corals) and a pair of blue gudgeon dartfish. The dartfish were a "love at first sight" buy, which is bad I know, but they drew me in with their blue.

Originally I wanted a pair of clowns, but I'm not sure if the gudgeons will be safe with them in the tank? Considering the clowns territorial behaviour and the gudgeons laid back and hide behaviour. What do you think? Has anyone kept these two species in such a small tank harmoniously?

Apart from that, I was also looking for a bicolor angel and perhaps a royal gramma. I'd also like a goby/shrimp combo, but I'm not too worried about them and the gudgeons. I was also thinking of firefish (dartfish), but once again I have no fear with them and the gudgeons considering they are from the same family.

Since I'm new, I'm looking on thoughts of what else I could possibly keep? So many fishes yet so little tank space (for now :D).

Thanks and I'm hoping to share some of my stories with you...so far I have a few.

Ren

Myka
09-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Good on you for asking before purchasing (unlike the impulse buy of the Gudgeons)! ;)

You are definitely being ambitious about your stocking plans, and I fear you are used to the stocking capacity of freshwater aquaria. It is easier to get away with overstocking in large tanks than it is in smaller tanks simple because the fish at least have more room to swim where small tanks leave little space after territories are claimed. I wouldn't put more than five or six 3" fish in a 33-gallon reef. If you stick with the smallest fish you could put more in.

I would suggest you stay away from the Dottyback/Gramma family of fish in a tank that size because they are boisterous fish. They do better in bigger tanks where they can't harass the occupants incessantly. I also don't think they would be good tankmates with the Gudgeons. I also think any type of Dwarf Angel would produce the same effect. If you must get a Dwarf Angel, I would consider the Cherub Angel the lesser of the evils and more likely to be a good resident. Keep in mind that many Dwarf Angels will pick at or even eat corals (LPS and Zoas are most at risk). You are right that a Dartfish would likely not get on well with the Gudgeons.

Ocellaris Clownfish would definitely be a good choice, possibly Percula or Darwins (black Ocellaris). These clowns stay smaller than other species and are less aggressive - particularly the orange Ocellaris (buy Snowflakes if you want something "different").

A shrimp/Goby combo would be a great choice, as would a Jawfish, a Cardinal (check out Orange Lined, Flame, Banggai, Pajama, Black), a small Blenny (Tailspot would be a great choice, Lawnmower a poor choice). Larger Blennies can be quite aggressive (Lawnmowers come to mind). Several of the different Gobies would co-exist well together, some do not, so ask specifics when/if that comes up. A Banded Possum Wrasse (there are 2 kinds) or Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse would do well. Chalk Bass is another relatively peaceful fish.

One other thing, the hermits are likely to attack, kill, and eat the snails when they get hungry. They don't co-exist very well.

Enigma
09-16-2012, 09:01 PM
One of the threads on Nano Reef is basically my fish stocking bible for small systems. You only really need to read the first post. It will give you plenty of fish ideas, and you can research care and compatibility from there. :) Some of it may be a bit controversial to many people, especially those who arern't experienced with small reef tanks.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74703

RenHoek104
09-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Thanks Mika and Enigma for the quick replies.

I took a look at the recommendations and found the orange lined cardinalfish interesting because of its relationship with the longspined urchin. They seem to stay small and might be a good choice. For the wrasses, i like the yellow banded possum, tanaka and white banded possum. I'll only pick one of course.

I also looked at the orange spotted goby. They seem small enough and should be a great addition along with a tiger shrimp.

However, would a longspined urchin fit in my tank? As you can imagine I'm looking for synergy. I love how saltwater creatures work together. The idea of an urchin and cardinalfish is very appealing.

I'm also worried about the clowns and gudgeon. My LFS said it would be a bad idea, and yet I'm getting mixed messages from the internet.

My biggest challenge will be to reduce my fish list and find a store in the Quebec City region that can find my selected fish. Granted, in a perfect world I could find tank bred fish.

What a grest hobby!

Ren

fishytime
09-17-2012, 04:29 AM
longspine urchins CAN get to be the size of a basketball....realistically they often parish before they reach that size in our aquariums....one would probably at some point need to be re-homed in a tank your size....fortunately they arent that hard to catch.....

I recommend these to everyone with a smaller tank so I might sound like a broken record but......I love assessors....I have both a yellow and a blue....they stay small, are pretty and are very mild tempered

RenHoek104
09-17-2012, 04:42 AM
Hey fishytime,

The assessors look very cool, but my budget won't allow for a $100 fish :D. However, I do love your setup. Ecotech, Bubble King and Tunze. I've tasted the joy of Tunze with my ATO and can't wait to use Ecotech products with their software. Right now I'm using low to medium range products and I've had my share of problems so far. For example, I bought the only Hydor Smart Wave that doesn't work. Not to mention one of my pumps would start in reverse fifty percent of the time when hooked up to the working Smart Wave channel. Anyways, I'll stop hijacking my own thread.

Ren

mrhasan
09-17-2012, 04:43 AM
Sorry to hitchhike :$

But do they add much of a bioload to the system? If not, I might think of adding it to my 20long system (with clown + firefish + sixline) :D

RenHoek104
09-17-2012, 04:46 AM
You talking about the gudgeons or the assessors?