PDA

View Full Version : ICH!!!!!

mrhasan
09-16-2012, 02:04 AM
I suddenly noticed today that the six line wrasse that I introduced few days back got ich!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There no mark on the body but there are white spots all over the fins and tail. It does occasionally scratches its body against the rock but it is eating like a beast!

I heard that sixlines generally get ich when introduced to a new tank (kind of like black ghost knife fish) but is very ich-resistant and will heal itself.

I know my tank has ich (I think almost every tank has some ich; its a part of nature and they only attack once the host gets weak enough; please do correct me if I am wrong). And since my tank is only a 20 gallon, I really am not that patient to QT every fish for like 2 months (:redface:).

So does anyone has any experience regarding ich and sixlines? Heard that mandarines and sixlines are like ich-proof but this really got me down :(

daniella3d
09-16-2012, 02:26 AM
Actually no, there are a lot of tanks without ick, all of those who do a proper quarantine don't have ick. I have 2 tanks and don't have ick in either.

A tank without ick is only possible when one do a proper quarantine and treat when necessary. There is no secret to it.

Goo luck with your problem. Being infested by parasites is not part of nature because in nature the fish have all the ocean to avoid those parasites. In our tanks with the restrained space, it is parasites haven.

No fish is ich proof. Mandarins can have it has well and they can die from it as well. It infect the gills and mandarins do have gills. They have thick mucous on their body but the gills are all the same as other fish.

Especially in a 20 gallons tank (kind of small for a 6 line) the fish don't stand much chance if not treated because with such small amount of water (parasite concentration) and such small amount of space to swim (stress) it will have a hard time fighting this parasite off.

I would treat with hyposalinity with a good refractometer for 6 weeks in a QT and get rid of ich once and for all.

(I think almost every tank has some ich; its a part of nature and they only attack once the host gets weak enough; please do correct me if I am wrong).

George
09-16-2012, 03:39 AM
I know my tank has ich (I think almost every tank has some ich; its a part of nature and they only attack once the host gets weak enough; please do correct me if I am wrong).

you are wrong :) It's possible to erradicate ich from a tank if you understand the life cycle of marine ich.

So does anyone has any experience regarding ich and sixlines? Heard that mandarines and sixlines are like ich-proof but this really got me down :(

mandarin and wrasse have thick mucus layer and they frequently shred their mucus layer. That's why they seem to be hard to get ich. Hard, but not impossible.

mrhasan
09-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Thanks for correcting me :D I actually thought that its like a part of the ecosystem like cyanobacteria and hence they persists even after they are eradicated with the "fishless for 8 weeks" method. Like you know, life always finds its way :P

Anyway, so since my tank has ich (I am pretty sure a green clown goby bought it in the system -__-), if I keep the fishes healthy, they shouldn't have problem right?

And about the sixlines, will it heal itself over time? I hear mixed reviews on the internet and hence was looking if someone has a similar experience.

mrhasan
09-16-2012, 06:36 AM
Especially in a 20 gallons tank (kind of small for a 6 line) the fish don't stand much chance if not treated because with such small amount of water (parasite concentration) and such small amount of space to swim (stress) it will have a hard time fighting this parasite off.

Yah I do agree that the parasite concentration is going to be high but I think 20 gallon, particularly the long one, is not small for sixline. I have loads of caves (which is, as far as I know, more important for a happy sixline since they love exploring) and the length is also fine for it. Obviously the bigger the better but I think 20L wont stress the fish.

Once again, I might be wrong since I am all new to this hobby. I am just using my logic to see the extend of what's right and whats wrong :razz:

Cal_stir
09-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Garlic, fresh garlic, lots of garlic, put fresh garlic in a blender and puree it, strain out the juice and add it directly to the tank, also soak their food with it. It will boost the fishes immune system and keep them eating.
Make the tank smell like garlic.
Good luck.

Enigma
09-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Your six line should be fine in your aquarium. Nano Reef has stocking guidelines and, while they may be considered controversial by non-nano reefers, they are what I follow for my tanks (I consider my 40B a nano), though I've got one fish in there that would get me lynched by them.

http://www.nano-reef.com/fish/?fish=3

Understand that when they indicate that a six line can be housed in a 10 gallon, it is the only fish in there. I think they recommend four fish at the maximum for a 20 gallon.

Garlic does seem to be a popular display system treatment, and despite the lack of scientific evidence that it works, there is a huge amount of anecdotal evidence that it does.

Cal_stir
09-16-2012, 03:13 PM
I was a non-believer then I got ich in my display(only time I introduced a fish without quarantine), was told to use garlic, was skepticle but tried it anyway and it WORKED, had zero losses and ich never returned.:biggrin:

mrhasan
09-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Your six line should be fine in your aquarium. Nano Reef has stocking guidelines and, while they may be considered controversial by non-nano reefers, they are what I follow for my tanks (I consider my 40B a nano), though I've got one fish in there that would get me lynched by them.

http://www.nano-reef.com/fish/?fish=3

Understand that when they indicate that a six line can be housed in a 10 gallon, it is the only fish in there. I think they recommend four fish at the maximum for a 20 gallon.

Garlic does seem to be a popular display system treatment, and despite the lack of scientific evidence that it works, there is a huge amount of anecdotal evidence that it does.

Thanks Shelly for supporting my nano :D You have always been very supportive and inspirational :D

mrhasan
09-16-2012, 06:02 PM
I was a non-believer then I got ich in my display(only time I introduced a fish without quarantine), was told to use garlic, was skepticle but tried it anyway and it WORKED, had zero losses and ich never returned.:biggrin:

This is what I was looking for: someone with ich in the tank but doesn't get it :P

So what should I do is make garlic paste and put it directly into the tank? Like the paste itself? And what about water change?

Cal_stir
09-16-2012, 06:48 PM
I whipped up a few cloves of fresh garlic and sqeezed it thru a coffee filter to axtract the juice, added about a tsp of it to the tank, soak the food in it when feeding, did that every day for a few days then just soak the food.
I now add a couple drops of kent garlic extreme to the food every day.

OH! and time is of the essence, git r done

mrhasan
09-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Great! Thanks :D

mrhasan
09-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Mixed mysis shrimp with garlic paste and the fishes went nuts (well my fishes always get nuts with whatever they can eat :P). Wrasse actually started munching on the garlic particles itself!!!!! Even stole the piece of meat that was given to the torch. Poor torch :(

Hope the garlic treatment will work :) I love my wrasse!

Madreefer
09-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Garlic works great for ick even though there is those that reside near the east coast that claim it is bogus. Kent Garlic Extreme is a great product and every meal I feed my fish is soaked in it. Theres also been debates that it is hard on the fishes livers but i've been feeding garlic for years and have'nt heard nor seen any complaints from my fish. But i'm no fish whisperer. IMO trying to catch a fish that is infected with ick causes more stress than anything and the ick gets worse. I'm sure a certain bullheaded member will be quoting this post but there is alot of people that swear that garlic works and I am one of them. I love the ignore user list. I'm sure i'm on a few members list too. HAHA

mrhasan
09-16-2012, 11:07 PM
+1. According to my logic too, catching a fish stress it even more, not to mention about putting it in a smaller tank to treat with medication for weeks! Its even more funny when tank police doesn't attest a guy who is treating a tang in a 10 gallon tank for couple of months but will be all over the guy who is keeping a tang in 20 gallon temporarily for few weeks.

I have started dosing garlic in the food and have just finish feeding it (I mix mysis + flake + garlic paste). I will be getting a seachem's garlic very soon.

Any suggestion on how long to keep the food soak in garlic? Because I mix it, let it sit for a few minutes and then let it go off in the tank. Is that alright or do I have to get it settled for a few hours before dropping it in the tank?

Madreefer
09-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Well I make my own food and it's enough for about a year and I use a 30ml bottle of the mentioned brand in my food batch. It is a frozen food and I also use a couple of drops of it while the food is defrosting. I dont really think there has to be a set time on how long it soaks in it.

mrhasan
09-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Great. Thanks :D

So the trick is to have garlic in the food that's it right?

daniella3d
09-16-2012, 11:16 PM
huh...what do you mean putting it in a small tank? it is already in a small tank.

20 gallons is a proper tank for treating a fish that size and coming from a 20 gallons already, it would feel right at home.

It is said that ick goes to a few generations and then if not re-introduced just exhaust itself. I think I read something like 10 generations. I don't know if it is true because there is some people that I know who have ick for years and it comes and it goes, but I have also read people having it disapear from their tank after some time without treating.

+1. According to my logic too, catching a fish stress it even more, not to mention about putting it in a smaller tank to treat with medication for weeks! Its even more funny when tank police doesn't attest a guy who is treating a tang in a 10 gallon tank for couple of months but will be all over the guy who is keeping a tang in 20 gallon temporarily for few weeks.

I have started dosing garlic in the food and have just finish feeding it (I mix mysis + flake + garlic paste). I will be getting a seachem's garlic very soon.

Any suggestion on how long to keep the food soak in garlic? Because I mix it, let it sit for a few minutes and then let it go off in the tank. Is that alright or do I have to get it settled for a few hours before dropping it in the tank?

Madreefer
09-16-2012, 11:19 PM
BAHAHA that did'nt take long. I dont know what the last post says but yes the trick is to have it in the food.

mrhasan
09-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding but I didn't say about my fish being put into a hospital tank. I was talking more generally like taking a fish from a 65gallon to a 10 or 20 gallon hospital tank.

And from your post, I think you are not very fond of nanos :)

There are people, like me, who doesn't have the provision of keeping big tanks (in terms of money and space) and hence nanos are there and they are no big of a difference other than the limited stocking list.

And please don't attack me with the "money" thing because I once had someone attack me with "if you can't get a $50 refractometer, you are in the wrong hobby" because I believe there's more into this hobby than just money and that is dedication. BTW I do have a refrac now :P

mrhasan
09-16-2012, 11:24 PM
BAHAHA that did'nt take long. I dont know what the last post says but yes the trick is to have it in the food.

daniella3d
09-17-2012, 01:53 AM
YOu assume too much and too fast. I do have a nano and love them, just that I love my fish just as much so I make sure they are free of parasites for the rest of their lifes.

I think it is our responsability to make sure the fish in our aquariums are healthy and do to what ever is necessary to keep them that way and give them the best life possible.

I have 2 tank raised clownfish in my nano and quite a few bubble tip anemones and they are happy. Clownfish make excellent fish for nano because in the wild they don't go very far from their anemony, so no big deal if they don't have a large tank.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/103_1583s.jpg

There are people, like me, who doesn't have the provision of keeping big tanks (in terms of money and space) and hence nanos are there and they are no big of a difference other than the limited stocking list.

And please don't attack me with the "money" thing because I once had someone attack me with "if you can't get a $50 refractometer, you are in the wrong hobby" because I believe there's more into this hobby than just money and that is dedication. BTW I do have a refrac now :P

mrhasan
09-17-2012, 02:26 AM
That's a nice nano you got there :D

Yes I totally agree that it is our responsibility to take care of them to the fullest. But it is also a part of nature to get sick occasionally just like humans. No matter how clean your house is and no matter how much you take care of yourself, you will occasionally get the nasty stuffs like flu and cold. Its just a part of life and the ecosystem :cry:

daniella3d
09-18-2012, 02:56 AM
Sure, but when my dog get flea I treat it, I don't leave it full of fleas and let it scratch itself to bloody spots.

Since the dog (or fish) cannot treat themselves it is our duty to do it.

I do not consider parasites to be anything like a cold or a virus. It is easy enough to treat for parasites and be done with it for good.

That's a nice nano you got there :D

Yes I totally agree that it is our responsibility to take care of them to the fullest. But it is also a part of nature to get sick occasionally just like humans. No matter how clean your house is and no matter how much you take care of yourself, you will occasionally get the nasty stuffs like flu and cold. Its just a part of life and the ecosystem :cry:

mrhasan
09-18-2012, 03:04 AM
Sure, but when my dog get flea I treat it, I don't leave it full of fleas and let it scratch itself to bloody spots.

Since the dog (or fish) cannot treat themselves it is our duty to do it.

I do not consider parasites to be anything like a cold or a virus. It is easy enough to treat for parasites and be done with it for good.

8 weeks of empty tank...kinda hard :(

And another 4-6weeks of quarantine when adding new fishes....harder :(

Pansy-Paws
09-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Well said daniella3d ...

mrhasan, if it's any consolation, we still enjoy our fish when they are in quarantine ... it's even easier to study them because there is little aquascaping.

One of my favourite savings for marine aquariums, "good stuff happens slow, bad stuff happens fast".

mrhasan
09-18-2012, 06:16 AM
Yah I guess I will have to set up a quarantine tank and transfer the fishes over there and leave the tank sit for 8 weeks. In the mean time, I can add corals to the tank right?

Enigma
09-18-2012, 12:01 PM
What condition are the fish in right now? How are things progressing? Have you started with garlic? What else do you have in he tank (corals and inverts)?

Doug
09-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Beautiful tank Daniella

Seth81
09-18-2012, 04:14 PM
I am going through a battle of ICH as well. Mine all started with a blue hippo tang that I did not quarantine when I got him. He was fine for a week or so until he jumped out of the tank while I was trying to rescue him from the overflow. I did rescue him from the floor and he was fine for a day, then ICH took hold of him. My wife and I tried to catch him for at least two hours but couldn't catch him for the life of us. Two days later I noticed ICH on 3 other fish. I have already been soaking mysis and flakes in Kent Garlic and running a UV sterilizer (at proper flow rate).

I have corals and cleaner shrimp so unwilling to do tank wide hypo or copper.

So I went to the LFS and the guy there recommended this Herbatana stuff. It's all natural and reef safe. That was 8 days ago and the ICH hasn't spread past the fish that already had it. But the fish that did have it before are getting worse. I lost the blue Hippo tang yesterday, and I'm sure I'll lose the Flame angel today or tomorrow.

From now on I will QT everything with coppermine. As for what to do now... well I guess just hope UV + Garlic and Herbatana minimizes losses. I would consider moving my coral and shrimp to a seperate tank while I do hypo, but not sure what hypos effect is on my 210 lbs of live rock :cry:

mrhasan
09-18-2012, 04:52 PM
What condition are the fish in right now? How are things progressing? Have you started with garlic? What else do you have in he tank (corals and inverts)?

I got a clown, firefish, sixline wrasse, cleaner shrimp, cuc, torch coral, some mushrooms and a really big feather duster. My sixline got ich only and it seems to be a little better today (the ich from the body disappeared a bit).

I started garlic 2 days back but it turned my water cloudy so I am just feeding them garlic enhanced flake now. Everyone is eating like crazy.

mrhasan
09-18-2012, 04:58 PM
I was going through this article:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=78

and this line caught my attention:

"Cryptocaryon is a fully ciliated protozoan that is present in all saltwater environments"

Since this is an article in liveaquaria, I believe it is correct to some extent (atleast approved by Dr. Foster and Smith).

Comments?

Aquattro
09-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Comments?

I'm thinking they mean natural environments?

mrhasan
09-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Not sure but here's another line:

"Most wild fish are exposed to low levels of this parasite but are able to effectively fight off the infection without becoming seriously ill. In contrast, due to a relatively small volume of water and a concentrated population of fish, the number of Cryptocaryon has the opportunity to explode in the home aquarium."

Aquattro
09-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Yes, I think that's well known. What are you trying to determine?

mrhasan
09-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Same debate that I started with :P :redface:

"Every tank has this parasite to some extent" :idea:

Aquattro
09-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Well, probably, yes. But only because the keeper hasn't gone to the effort to remove it. It can be removed, although typically it costs the person all their fish first, as it did for me. With proper quarantine, you can have a parasite free tank.
The question might be, can my fish be fine even if I have ich in the tank? Again, probably. I've had ich outbreaks that I've cleared up with garlic, no fish losses, and no sign again of ich for years. So yes, your tank can be ok with ich present, assuming the fish are healthy and stress free? Does that mean you shouldn't do more? No, not really.
As it was stated, it is our responsibility to do our best. Most of don't, for many reasons. Time, space, money, laziness, lack of concern, etc..
All depends on what you want, what risk you're willing to live with, and whether you want to chance killing all your fish, and then replacing them. That last part cost me about $2000 :)
I'm not willing to do that again, so I go through the trouble, or if I don't want to go through it, I don't buy more fish.

mrhasan
09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Only "money" is the concern for me :P

I am thinking of starting a quarantine tank. I plan one adding, if possible, only two more fishes but not any time soon. Depending on the scenario, I might even have to go through leaving the tank fishless for 2 months. That would be the hardest part just to keep few fishes since I am limited to a 20 gallon tank.

Well, probably, yes. But only because the keeper hasn't gone to the effort to remove it. It can be removed, although typically it costs the person all their fish first, as it did for me. With proper quarantine, you can have a parasite free tank.
The question might be, can my fish be fine even if I have ich in the tank? Again, probably. I've had ich outbreaks that I've cleared up with garlic, no fish losses, and no sign again of ich for years. So yes, your tank can be ok with ich present, assuming the fish are healthy and stress free? Does that mean you shouldn't do more? No, not really.
As it was stated, it is our responsibility to do our best. Most of don't, for many reasons. Time, space, money, laziness, lack of concern, etc..
All depends on what you want, what risk you're willing to live with, and whether you want to chance killing all your fish, and then replacing them. That last part cost me about $2000 :)
I'm not willing to do that again, so I go through the trouble, or if I don't want to go through it, I don't buy more fish.

Enigma
09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
In the end, you need to decide what is right for you.

You've pretty much reached your stocking limit for fish. You could maybe add another little fish, or a couple of really little fish. In the event you do not eradicate ich from your display, you risk infecting any new fish you add. If you won't be adding any new fish, that isn't an issue.

You could let the fish fight it off. Many fish do this successfully. In the event something stressful were to happen, the fish could weaken and become susceptible to the ich again. But, If you upgrade to a larger system and move your fish into it, they're going to bring the ich into the new system.

Garlic is really your only option for treating in your display with the other livestock you have, and anecdotal evidence does support the treatment for boosting the immunity of fish to ich.

So, can you live with ich in your system? That's for you to decide for yourself. No one else can (or should) do that for you. And, (while this may sound callous) you don't have any rare or overly costly fish in there: they could be replaced quite easily if they all died from it.

mrhasan
09-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Haha yah :P I try to stick to below $30 type fishes :P The filtration system along worth more than the fishes themselves and had people (who are not in this hobby) saying you spent that much just to keep a nemo?! :P

In the end, you need to decide what is right for you.

You've pretty much reached your stocking limit for fish. You could maybe add another little fish, or a couple of really little fish. In the event you do not eradicate ich from your display, you risk infecting any new fish you add. If you won't be adding any new fish, that isn't an issue.

You could let the fish fight it off. Many fish do this successfully. In the event something stressful were to happen, the fish could weaken and become susceptible to the ich again. But, If you upgrade to a larger system and move your fish into it, they're going to bring the ich into the new system.

Garlic is really your only option for treating in your display with the other livestock you have, and anecdotal evidence does support the treatment for boosting the immunity of fish to ich.

So, can you live with ich in your system? That's for you to decide for yourself. No one else can (or should) do that for you. And, (while this may sound callous) you don't have any rare or overly costly fish in there: they could be replaced quite easily if they all died from it.

reefwars
09-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Same debate that I started with :P :redface:

"Every tank has this parasite to some extent" :idea:

prob so , its something you cant get an answer for , there very well may be set ups that do not have it , how does one tell "exactly" ??

fact is if your fish is showing it visibly then it needs immediate care, be it better water or meds etc.

i havent seen ich in my tanks in years through many different set ups , though im sure it could be there i did things to make sure the fish were healthy enough to never show it. the fact that its visible should be a red alarm right there.

mrhasan
09-18-2012, 06:29 PM
prob so , its something you cant get an answer for , there very well may be set ups that do not have it , how does one tell "exactly" ??

fact is if your fish is showing it visibly then it needs immediate care, be it better water or meds etc.

i havent seen ich in my tanks in years through many different set ups , though im sure it could be there i did things to make sure the fish were healthy enough to never show it. the fact that its visible should be a red alarm right there.

Yah. I think the acclimation was not proper and hence the stress. Because my clown and firefish, no matter what, never got ich from the start of this tank, even now.

reefwars
09-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding but I didn't say about my fish being put into a hospital tank. I was talking more generally like taking a fish from a 65gallon to a 10 or 20 gallon hospital tank.

this is kinda the opposite of what you said about not wanting to throw the money for a qt....if you believed there was more to it then money you would in fact have no prob ponying up the doh for it???

part of owning a nano tank is limiting your self to livestock, its playing the patience game , a nano idea is supposed to house a smaller version of a large ecosystem , not a large ecosystem crammed into a small nano, this creates alot of problems for less than 20g of water.

just pointing it out the money youve spent on fish and coral so far could have been a qt tank or even 2.

ps.....six lines are evil and its goig to be one of the worst purchases youve ever had .....all mine always have been:(

they do become too large for your size tank but thats at adult sizes:)

reefwars
09-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Yah. I think the acclimation was not proper and hence the stress. Because my clown and firefish, no matter what, never got ich from the start of this tank, even now.

in my 25g tank i have 1 fish not because of the size.... its not always about the size of the tank... fact is fish graze,hunt,dash and chase and do all sorts of things, i bet there are a dozen more fish i can get in there as long as i choose them appropriately. based on the ecosystem i can provide for them.

when you mix species there has to be that personal space, fish are no different then any other animal and do not do well when they are crammed.

aggression happens....over time territroy gets established..... the weaker of the bunch are at the bottom of the chain and subject to death.....while new comers are stressed instantly.

mrhasan
09-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Yah I know. I have this tendency of learning things the hard way and here's an example :(

I bought the wrasse because my tank had very little movement. The firefish keeps on hiding and when it comes out, only stays at one place while the clown, well its hosting a side of the tank and since sixlines are very active, I got this. I did plan on getting a cherub but they were nowhere to be found in calgary.

BTW I didn't under "this is kinda the opposite of what you said about not wanting to throw the money for a qt....if you believed there was more to it then money you would in fact have no prob ponying up the doh for it???" :redface:

Seth81
09-18-2012, 07:36 PM
For me it was simply ignorance... I simply did not know that there wasn't an effective reef safe cure for Ich. I have lots of freshwater experience, so when there was Ich present it was no problem to dump in some coppermine. But the moment I saw Ich in my reef tank I was pretty suprised that in 2012 there still is no effective reef safe cure.

I can't believe that people couldn't be bothered to spend $150 on a QT system, but will spend $1000's on fish. I guess part of the problem is that we all want to take home that cool looking fish and put it in our display tanks right away and not in the small QT tank for two weeks.

But I for one will be following QT procedures in the future. I just hope that the Ich in my system will fully dissipate. Any thoughts on if you don't see Ich for 2- 3 months if it will actually be gone? or still be present just waiting for a weak immune system?

reefwars
09-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Only "money" is the concern for me :P

I am thinking of starting a quarantine tank. I plan one adding, if possible, only two more fishes but not any time soon. Depending on the scenario, I might even have to go through leaving the tank fishless for 2 months. That would be the hardest part just to keep few fishes since I am limited to a 20 gallon tank.

Yah I know. I have this tendency of learning things the hard way and here's an example :(

I bought the wrasse because my tank had very little movement. The firefish keeps on hiding and when it comes out, only stays at one place while the clown, well its hosting a side of the tank and since sixlines are very active, I got this. I did plan on getting a cherub but they were nowhere to be found in calgary.

BTW I didn't under "this is kinda the opposite of what you said about not wanting to throw the money for a qt....if you believed there was more to it then money you would in fact have no prob ponying up the doh for it???" :redface:

what i kinda meant was that you spent easily $500 in coral and fish but when it came time to throw for qt you said money is an issue??

no offense and its a common mistake people make:)

Seth81
09-18-2012, 07:43 PM
what i kinda meant was that you spent easily $500 in coral and fish but when it came time to throw for qt you said money is an issue??

no offense and its a common mistake people make:)

Ha ha... yeah this isn't exactly the hobby for people who are tight with their money!

mrhasan
09-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Oh no no no. I have hardly spend $200 for the livestock. :P

reefwars
09-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Oh no no no. I have hardly spend $200 for the livestock. :P

my point exactly lol you mentioned earlier about the refractometer...i remember that thread.....this is the exact same thing over again:P

mrhasan
09-18-2012, 07:49 PM
my point exactly lol you mentioned earlier about the refractometer...i remember that thread.....this is the exact same thing over again:P

Haha :P

Well lets forget about the money. Sometimes, we have to overlook it and till now, I have done it and I am ready to do it (even if I have to cut down the meal per day :P). I just need to cure my fish :(

Aquattro
09-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Any thoughts on if you don't see Ich for 2- 3 months if it will actually be gone? or still be present just waiting for a weak immune system?

Always going to be there, apparently. Only way to get rid of it is to leave the tank empty for some amount of time, then QT and treat all incoming livestock.

Enigma
09-18-2012, 07:51 PM
I just need to cure my fish :(

To "cure" your fish, you're going to need to QT, treat, and leave the display fallow.

mrhasan
09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Fallow for 2 months right?

And can I leave the corals and inverts in the DT?

Doug
09-18-2012, 09:13 PM
I have a couple hundred worth of inverts coming from JL and I had two small fish added. I cancelled the fish yesterday, as my quarantine is not ready and after reading some of these threads and velvet threads, I decided just cant take that chance, even if very small.

My 12yr. old clowns are the only inhabitants of my 30g reef tank and even though they are pig headed "blanks", I would hate for anything to happen to them.

Seth81
09-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Fallow for 2 months right?

And can I leave the corals and inverts in the DT?

Everything I read suggests that Ich can only live on fish not inverts or coral.

daniella3d
09-19-2012, 03:26 AM
The liverock and biofilter survive very well in hyposalinity but all pods will die, including aiptasia (good thing), feather duster, sea stars etc...they will all die.

It is best to treat in a QT and put a few pieces of liverock in there. The bacterias survive just fine and do their job in hyposalinity, so no worry about a cycle. Of course a skimmer will not work, so a small filter hang on tank like a magnum is usefull, especially with the micron filter to help catch those nasty parasites in the water.

This is why QT is so important because it may be a hassle to do a proper quarantine but it is FAR more of a hassle to have to treat fish once they are in the main tank full of rock and infected and suffering and dying. Having to deal with an infected tank is no better as each bout of stress can bring on a full level infection.

YOu got ich and it killed a few of your fish...you can imagine what velvet would do. All your fish would probably be dead, even if you treated them. It is that fast.

REally sad about your fish.

I am going through a battle of ICH as well. Mine all started with a blue hippo tang that I did not quarantine when I got him. He was fine for a week or so until he jumped out of the tank while I was trying to rescue him from the overflow. I did rescue him from the floor and he was fine for a day, then ICH took hold of him. My wife and I tried to catch him for at least two hours but couldn't catch him for the life of us. Two days later I noticed ICH on 3 other fish. I have already been soaking mysis and flakes in Kent Garlic and running a UV sterilizer (at proper flow rate).

I have corals and cleaner shrimp so unwilling to do tank wide hypo or copper.

So I went to the LFS and the guy there recommended this Herbatana stuff. It's all natural and reef safe. That was 8 days ago and the ICH hasn't spread past the fish that already had it. But the fish that did have it before are getting worse. I lost the blue Hippo tang yesterday, and I'm sure I'll lose the Flame angel today or tomorrow.

From now on I will QT everything with coppermine. As for what to do now... well I guess just hope UV + Garlic and Herbatana minimizes losses. I would consider moving my coral and shrimp to a seperate tank while I do hypo, but not sure what hypos effect is on my 210 lbs of live rock :cry:

mrhasan
09-19-2012, 03:27 AM
Ich can be such a pain!!!!!

Seth81
09-24-2012, 10:36 PM
I stopped using that Herbatana BS and just did a nice big 20% water change, turned up the flow on my UV sterilizer to the recommended flow rate to kill protozoa and every one looks much healthier (except I did lose my flame angel), only my rusty angel has a few spots on him, but every day the spots are getting fewer. I really thought I was going to lose my sail fin tang, phew!

mrhasan
09-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Well like the saying goes "every tank is different from every other tank". Some find that herbals work while others don't. For example, ick attack is working great for me. My fishes are well recovered.

So it totally depend on the tank. If herbals didn't actually work, then those products wouldn't have been on the market for years. It does work but not in every tank.

I stopped using that Herbatana BS and just did a nice big 20% water change, turned up the flow on my UV sterilizer to the recommended flow rate to kill protozoa and every one looks much healthier (except I did lose my flame angel), only my rusty angel has a few spots on him, but every day the spots are getting fewer. I really thought I was going to lose my sail fin tang, phew!

daniella3d
09-26-2012, 01:19 AM
And probably still infected. Ich has a cycle and I suspect that when ever the snake oil remedies work is probably because the ich cycle come and go, or it was not ich to begin with.

You may see ich again eventually if you create a stress to your fish.

My fishes are well recovered.

mrhasan
09-26-2012, 01:21 AM
Yah I do agree it that. Stress does play a very important role for ich.

And probably still infected. Ich has a cycle and I suspect that when ever the snake oil remedies work is probably because the ich cycle come and go, or it was not ich to begin with.

naesco
09-26-2012, 01:48 AM

What "snake oil remedies" are you referring to?

mrhasan
09-26-2012, 01:49 AM

I guess herbals.

Seth81
09-26-2012, 03:57 AM
I read something very interesting over at RC about Ich. Apparently Ich dies out in a tank if no new Ich infested water/fish is introduced into a system for 9 - 11 months. Something about after the 35th generation the population isn't genetically viable anymore.

I don't really understand exactly why that is, becuase Ich is a single cell organisum, it doesn't reproduce sexually. I am still skeptical, but the source seemed to be legit, and referenced some actual research.

mrhasan
09-26-2012, 03:58 AM
I guess ich is one of the MOST debatable topic in this hobby :P

I read something very interesting over at RC about Ich. Apparently Ich dies out in a tank if no new Ich infested water/fish is introduced into a system for 9 - 11 months. Something about after the 35th generation the population isn't genetically viable anymore.

I don't really understand exactly why that is, becuase Ich is a single cell organisum, it doesn't reproduce sexually. I am still skeptical, but the source seemed to be legit, and referenced some actual research.

daniella3d
09-27-2012, 01:39 AM
anything that is labeled "reef safe" and that you can add to a tank with corals.

I read that as well that ich will exhaust itself after many generations but I know quite a few people who had ich come and go for 2 years and more without introducing any new fish so that theory might take a little bit more than 9 months.

Seth81
09-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Its not just about adding fish, just infected water, so corals too.

Totally agree anything reefsafe doesnt seem to be effective.

anything that is labeled "reef safe" and that you can add to a tank with corals.

I read that as well that ich will exhaust itself after many generations but I know quite a few people who had ich come and go for 2 years and more without introducing any new fish so that theory might take a little bit more than 9 months.

mrhasan
09-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Its not just about adding fish, just infected water, so corals too.

Totally agree anything reefsafe doesnt seem to be effective.

Herbal medications are always like that :P Even for humans :P Like I tried herbal medication for my cough and didn't work while the med had a very good rep.