PDA

View Full Version : Any problems turning off return pump but Powerheads left on

Basterb
09-15-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm wanting some quiet time in the evenings to watch a movie. Is there any harm turning the return pump off. Left in the sump is the skimmer, refrugum and heater. I can't see the water cooling off that quick in 2 hrs

But keeping the powerheads on in the main tank. Any problems? I could probally keep a heater in the overflow if it's an issue.

Aquattro
09-16-2012, 01:18 AM
That's probably fine, but perhaps it's time to find a quieter pump? :razz:

Basterb
09-16-2012, 02:34 AM
I thought it was a quiet pump
Marineland 5500.

But it's also the overflow where it enters the sump. It's a Aqueon sump

Aquattro
09-16-2012, 02:58 AM
I think, long term, you should work on fixing the parts that make noise. I have my 180 with dual overflows and 5 different pumps in the sump, in my living room and I can hardly hear it. Until then though, especially if it's not cold in the house, you should be ok to turn it off for a couple of hours. Just make sure you turn it back on and that everything is running.

Myka
09-16-2012, 03:42 AM
I often turn off my return pump when I'm feeding the tank. It will stay off all night.

mike31154
09-16-2012, 04:25 AM
A small powerhead or two in the sump might not be a bad idea either, just to keep things mixing while the return is off.

asylumdown
09-16-2012, 07:28 AM
A small powerhead or two in the sump might not be a bad idea either, just to keep things mixing while the return is off.

+1. I had a bucket full of old koralias that I didn't know what to do with. They've turned out to be invaluable in my sump in times when I've had to separate it from the DT above. You never know when you'll need that kind of back up flow, but you'll be thankful when you have it.

Myka
09-16-2012, 02:04 PM
In my sump there are only two areas that are separated from each other. The skimmer keeps one circulating and a PhosBan reactor keeps the other one circulating.