PDA

View Full Version : Well, I've joined the club...

One_Divided
07-23-2002, 03:54 PM
The "all my clams died" club.. My maxima is dead as of this morning.. It was a beauty.. too bad.. At least I only lost the 2 clams and not a ton like some other people.. I would consider myself lucky.. How're everyone else's clams doing? I hope I'm the last to "join the club".

zulu_principle
07-23-2002, 08:00 PM
How was your tank temp ?

Aquattro
07-23-2002, 09:47 PM
Sorry to hear that Adam.

Zulu, temp isn't the problem with these dying clams. My temp stayed constant and Adam's tank is in a cool basement, doubt his climbed at all.

vwguy26
07-23-2002, 10:23 PM
if any of these clams were recently purchased can u tell me where u got them from (even if u email me privately jmiller75@telus.net )i lost 3 clams over the weekend all my small guys 1 derasa and 2 maximas thanx

Aquattro
07-24-2002, 02:50 AM
I don't think it matters where the clams came from. There are reports of this problem all over the place. The one I got came from J&L. It died right away and took the others with it. The longest clam resident I had also came from there. I don't think it's a retailers' fault. I understand they lost most of theirs also.

One_Divided
07-24-2002, 02:57 AM
Brad pretty much summed it up :D The original clam that may have brought in the desease was a derasa from J&L... I'm pretty sure they're system is clean now.. am I wrong?

canadawest
07-24-2002, 03:27 AM
Man you guys got me nervous!

I am pleased to report that both my 1+ year old Maxima, and 2 month old Derasa are still alive and looking good. I definitely look at them once or twice a day now as I am overly conscious of the recent clam plague.

Sorry to hear of other's losses, I'm just hoping that mine stay healthy, especially considering I only brought home the tiny Derasa just over a month ago from J&L.

vwguy26
07-24-2002, 03:33 AM
i wasnt pointing fingers just curious mine were also from JL just wanted to see if we all had something in common i did not see any signs of disease in these clams they just kinda died one by one over the weekend i still have 2 larger squamosas i recently purchased there still doing good so i just hope they stay this way thanx

Aquattro
07-24-2002, 05:09 AM
Andrew, from everything I've read about this, I'm pretty sure your clams would already be gone if they had this problem. It generally hits quickly. I'd also hold off on any future clam purchases in the next little while.
I'm personally going to re-assess my quarintine procedures. If I had quarintined the new clam, I feel the others would still be here.

canadawest
07-25-2002, 12:20 AM
OK you jinxed me I think Brad!!!

My Maxima today looks bad. It has shifted sideways on the rock that it's on (wondering if it has let go with it's bysal gland?)

It also looks wilted and the syphon hole is gaping. Also I can see a little spout through that hole like the one Darren had in his picture, but mine isn't sticking it out of the hole, it's still inside the clam. :(

Is it only a matter of days, or is it just the above normal temps lately that are stressing it out? FWIW the little Derasa looks completely normal.

smokinreefer
07-25-2002, 12:43 AM
FWIW, i dont believe the symptoms you and darren are seeing are related to the recent clam disease.

and from what i can gather, this is ahppenning all over the place, not just the lowermainland.

the consensus seems to be that the imoprted phonepei maximas are the ones that were initially affected. spreading to retailers holding tanks and lastly to us the hobbyists.

*crossing my fingers*, to this day my derasa is still alive (and the lone survivor of this disease in my tank,out of 4 clams), though not displaying 100% normal behaviour, i believe it will be OK, as it seems as though the clams affected, will suddenly display abnormal behaviour, closing or gaping and die within a day or 2.

hope there are no more losses in any ones tanks.

shao

BCReefer
07-26-2002, 05:09 PM
It seems we are not alone:

Link to clams (http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=126561#126561)

Patrick

jb1974
07-26-2002, 06:03 PM
I posted before about my clam losses (4 maximas, 2 croceas and 1 derasa). It seemed to take about 2 weeks for the other clams to get infected. I still have 2 derasas (not completely normal looking yet). I wonder if they will get completely well, or if they are just slower to die :( My sandbed looks empty...wish I hadn't ordered than Phonepei max...

canadawest
07-27-2002, 06:25 PM
Well I'm saddened to report that my beautiful T. Maxima is no longer with us. Cleaner Shrimp moved in shortly after lights out, and this morning when I checked out the tank it was an empty shell. :(

Hopefully my little Derasa makes it through whatever this is. So far it looks unaffected by whatever the cause.