PDA

View Full Version : ricordeas review

eli@fijireefrock.com
09-15-2012, 03:02 AM
1st let me say that I could get my hands on a couple hundred ricordeas yuma with yellow,blue,orange,red, green and multi from a collector for a good price.
After doing a research on these I found that ricordea yuma come with more colors as their partners ricordea florida.Going into more research I found that these corals don't ship well hard to acclimate and a very high percentage of mortality in the 1st month of introducing into a tank.I am still undecided for the purchase plunge as I don't want unsatisfied customers or myself as I would like to keep a few.
What are your thoughts or experiences as I know few of you kept some in their tank,what works and don't.Any input is most appreciated :biggrin:

reefwars
09-15-2012, 03:10 AM
holy jes your alive!!!!

eli@fijireefrock.com
09-15-2012, 03:13 AM
holy jes your alive!!!!
LOL thanks
Yes I am alive and back but still in too deep with other things:biggrin:
Its time to restock my tanks and share some with everyone.

gregzz4
09-15-2012, 03:17 AM
I bought some Yumas from a fellow reefer and, after a couple months, I'm still having trouble finding a spot in my tank where they won't shrink away ...

I moved them into a shady spot last week or so and 2 of the 4 are coming around, but the jury is still out

eli@fijireefrock.com
09-15-2012, 03:22 AM
I bought some Yumas from a fellow reefer and, after a couple months, I'm still having trouble finding a spot in my tank where they won't shrink away ...

I moved them into a shady spot last week or so and 2 of the 4 are coming around, but the jury is still out
e of the hardest things to accomplish is acclimation of these corals.Try this as I read it somewhere.
1st place the ricordeas in a shaded area and wait few days up to a week untill the ricordeas expand and try to reach for light ,then move them closer to more light and repeat 1st step keep doing so untill they are totally acclimated as that could take up to 1 month.Good luck and enjoy.

The Grizz
09-15-2012, 03:35 AM
holy jes your alive!!!!

My thought EXACTLY too :surprise:

I could possibly be convince in a few rics.

eli@fijireefrock.com
09-15-2012, 03:46 AM
My thought EXACTLY too :surprise:

I could possibly be convince in a few rics.

Almost everyone could be easily convinced to purchase and try a few as I would sell out in a matter of a week,but I don't like the mortality rate of these corals,and not enjoy seeing them thrive in my tank or anyone else's.

gregzz4
09-15-2012, 03:54 AM
e of the hardest things to accomplish is acclimation of these corals.Try this as I read it somewhere.
1st place the ricordeas in a shaded area and wait few days up to a week untill the ricordeas expand and try to reach for light ,then move them closer to more light and repeat 1st step keep doing so untill they are totally acclimated as that could take up to 1 month.Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks Eli for the info :smile:

Nano
09-15-2012, 03:58 AM
That's weird I've read of lots of people having trouble keeping them but for me I just drop them in after a drip. No special placement usually on the sandbed.. hmmmm...

gregzz4
09-15-2012, 04:04 AM
That's weird I've read of lots of people having trouble keeping them but for me I just drop them in after a drip. No special placement usually on the sandbed.. hmmmm...
Ya, whatever man :razz:

The Grizz
09-15-2012, 04:14 AM
Never had any issues with the few flori rics that I have managed to pick up.

Nano
09-15-2012, 04:18 AM
Ya, whatever man :razz:

:wink: what can I say? I'm 'that good' :lol:

NanoCat
09-15-2012, 04:18 AM
I would love to get my hands on a few more rics.
For placement in my tank I just set it in a nook with a bit of shade almost at the bottom of my tank and let it be. I noticed over a few weeks-months it moved on its own to a position of higher light. The bonus to this was it left 4 tiny baby rics in its path which are very slowly growing up.

gregzz4
09-15-2012, 04:22 AM
My Yuma rics came from a reefer with a 'no maintenance' system so they're not used to virtually no params in my 'too clean' system

Borderjumper
09-15-2012, 05:18 AM
I've tried yumas a time or two.. They always slowly melt away to nothing in my tanks. Floridas do well for me.

gregzz4
09-15-2012, 05:40 AM
I've tried yumas a time or two.. They always slowly melt away to nothing in my tanks. Floridas do well for me.
I have a Florida that is getting Huge
I'll give the Yumas some time ..

reefwars
09-15-2012, 05:47 AM
i dont do mushrooms you guys shouldnt either:P

gregzz4
09-15-2012, 06:11 AM
i dont do mushrooms you guys shouldnt either:P
Seriously ???

Gimme a break dude ... you're the mushroom Man :razz:

Snappy
09-15-2012, 07:54 AM
+1
Typically yumas are much harder to keep long term than the Floridas.

Enigma
09-15-2012, 12:50 PM
I picked up one Yuma (Big Al's) and two Florida (Golds) a month or so, ago. The Yuma is doing very, very well. The Floridas are doing okay. They were very small and not in great shape to begin with. I think they'll make it, though.

Being that I picked them up in person, and I believe they had been at the stores for a long time, shipping stress hasn't factored in with them.

Coralgurl
09-15-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a Yuma that disappeared months ago, thought it melted. It has shown back up and growing. My Florida rics have all just split in the last month, I've had some of them for almost a year. I personally like the Florida ones better, but I was unaware there were more colorful yumas out there:lol:

ponokareefer
09-15-2012, 04:39 PM

This was my experience as well. Good luck if you are bringing some in.

toytech
09-15-2012, 04:48 PM
out of a batch of rics and yumas i got the yuma grew huge , and split for me.I got a new one recently from red coral its purple yellow and hints of blue , the yuma colors are way better then ricodea florida .

DCDN
09-15-2012, 05:04 PM
I've managed to keep everything else I've tried without issues. Rics and Yumas are the only things that seem to not do well. I've tried them in the shade out in the open. Just can't seem to keep them for long.

Reef_Geek
09-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Picked up this guy from a LFS for $20 and he's doubled in size in about 1-2 months. It's developed a second mouth... we'll see what happens. Looks like a Florida type. Never had any issues. Bottom of a 26 gal bow front w/ 250w metal halide, low (not stagnant) flow spot. Started adding AquaVittro Vibrance (Iodide) and it developed the nice purple rim.

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/3697_10151245714602953_638537960_n.jpg

Picked up these nice orange ones from Lee9 about a month ago. They're doing well (haven't increased in size/split yet), no issues.

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/536198_10151245714697953_86857707_n.jpg

eli@fijireefrock.com
09-16-2012, 03:47 AM
I received few pms in the last 24hrs asking on arrival date if I decide to make the purchase.
To be honest I am not totally convinced yet as I see alot of negative and positive input on these ricordeas...I will keep researching,I know more of you have some type of experience so lets hear more.