PDA

View Full Version : Longnose Hawkfish

Wheelman76
09-15-2012, 01:39 AM
Has anyone kept a longnose hawkfish in a reef tank? Reef safe? Any problems other than killing shrimp?

toytech
09-15-2012, 03:09 AM
hawk fish can be hit or miss , i had a falco and it was fine with cleaner shrimp and hermits , but hated my yellow watchman goby and tried to kill him repeatedly.

HaZRaTTy
09-15-2012, 03:10 AM
I have a longnose hawk, I've had him since I have setup my reef! No problems at all I even had him with a cleaner shrimp which posed no problem. I think you might have problem with some of the smaller shrimp possibly, Sexy, PMS.

Mine only seems to eat Mysis, Doesn't touch anything else he is the first one up to my hand when I'm feeding!

HaZRaTTy
09-15-2012, 03:11 AM
hawk fish can be hit or miss , i had a falco and it was fine with cleaner shrimp and hermits , but hated my yellow watchman goby and tried to kill him repeatedly.

Oo just added a YWG today, hopefully he doesn't fare the same fate!! Fingers crossed. Touche at the same time reply :)

gregzz4
09-15-2012, 03:14 AM
Although they are known for eating shrimps and small fish, I've read enough ( I want one ) to learn that you may be successful if you add it after your 'at risk' critters are settled first

There is nothing to say that it won't eat whatever it can once it is full-grown :surprise:

toytech
09-15-2012, 07:17 PM
If you arnt planning on having any of the realy small gobies it will probably be ok , there such cool looking fish its worth the risk.