PDA

View Full Version : Strange fish loss.

dkclend
09-14-2012, 07:57 PM
In the past few weeks I have lost three barnacle blennies and a Mandarin goby. I have no idea why. All other fish are doing well. It is a forty gallon display containing forty lbs of live rock, one clown fish, one cardinal, one yellow head jawfish, two urchins, two lps, and a cuc. All water parameters are fine and tested every other day. Help please.

Aysha
09-14-2012, 08:00 PM
How old is your setup? Perhaps they ran out of things to eat?

dkclend
09-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Setup is 4 months old and I feed them Mysis daily.

reefwars
09-15-2012, 01:10 AM
your gonna have to post more info theres not much to go off of but good water and feed daily that could mean anything....mandarins arnt to kow for eating mysis so i would think that one would have starved.

as for the blennies if youve lost three its safe to say there also probably not eating.

in order to get more advice your going to need to post:

full water parameters
flow
feedings
tank history
tank occupants
where did you buy the fish
what did you see before they died

basically it comes down to diet,disease,bullying, or water quality/stress

Aysha
09-15-2012, 01:13 AM
That may have something to do with it. blennys and dragonettes need an established setup usually over 6 months of age to build up a supply of copepods. . Which they were most likely eating in liu of misis .No copepods no copepod eating critters.

Aquattro
09-15-2012, 01:22 AM
It's generally accepted that a minimum 50g mature tank is required for 1 mandarin. Generally. If it has to compete for food against anything else that eats pods in a 4 month old 40g, all pod eaters are going to starve. Mysis is probably too big for a mandarin.

reefwars
09-15-2012, 01:30 AM
It's generally accepted that a minimum 50g mature tank is required for 1 mandarin. Generally. If it has to compete for food against anything else that eats pods in a 4 month old 40g, all pod eaters are going to starve. Mysis is probably too big for a mandarin.

agreed and its so hard to tell if mandie's are eating anyways.

without a mature sandbed and a whack load of pods its hard to do.... its a sad way to go:(

dkclend
09-15-2012, 01:43 AM
OK thanks guys I think it is a lack of food for the little guys. I do watch them eat the mysis though. I will lay off stocking for a while.

gregzz4
09-15-2012, 01:47 AM
OK thanks guys I think it is a lack of food for the little guys. I do watch them eat the mysis though. I will lay off stocking for a while.
I thought my Hector's goby was eating cyclop-eze ...
I watched him with a pair of magnifyer glasses on and saw him spit it all out his gills .....

reefwars
09-15-2012, 01:49 AM

mandarins are such a nice colorful fish so most new people in the hobby want one...fact is they eat mostly live food and most die from starvation.

if you see a fish in the store you like google all you can before buying, will save you some bucks and stress in the end:)

good luck:)

Jeontai
09-15-2012, 02:15 AM
if you see a fish in the store you like google all you can before buying, will save you some bucks and stress in the end:)

good luck:)

I agree fully with this... I always have my iPhone out when I'm shopping. Even if you think you know all there is to know about a certain species it's good to look it up again just to be safe. :biggrin:

fishoholic
09-15-2012, 02:15 PM
FYI barnacle bleenies have a fairly short life span so it's hard to say with them.

daniella3d
09-15-2012, 11:12 PM
mandarins don't eat mysis. At least I had 3 so far and never saw them even remotely interested in mysis, as it is way to big for them.

They like pods and small food. Mine eat live white worms, fish roe and live pods, that's about it.

I guess if yours was trying to eat mysis, he was maybe starving (probably since he's dead now).

I have 2 mandarins in my 70 gallons for 2 years now and if they did not have live white worms they would probably not survive out of the pods alone. I do have a large pod population but each day I feed live worms and each day they gobble quite a few of them so that show the pods are not enough to sustain them or they would not be hungry.