PDA

View Full Version : Where to find 24 Gauge 2-Pin Connectors?

Enigma
09-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Hubby wants some of the 2-pin connectors that Modular LED and Rapid LED use for their solderless LED kits for the new Z-Scale model train set that he's starting.

I'm sure I could find them on ebay, direct from China, for pennies a piece. I can't figure out what the things are called, and hubby had never seen these connectors before they showed up with the LED kit from Martin.

Any ideas as to where I could get some of these, or what they're technically called?

sphelps
09-14-2012, 06:48 PM
You'll find a variety of connectors you can use at B&E electronics in Calgary, SE off Blackfoot. If you want the exact same you'll find them on DigiKey or consider asking Modular LED.

Ross
09-14-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm not sure what they are called or where you can get them, but modular led sells extensions cables that have the male and female end for $2.50.
Unless he is going crazy with wiring many things, I'd just grab them from Martin.

The guy I asked at active electronics was pretty clueless about them.

MKLKT
09-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Are these the same type of plugs used for motherboard <-> case connectors on computers? I apologize if you attached a picture, I can't see images at work.

Enigma
09-14-2012, 06:58 PM
You'll find a variety of connectors you can use at B&E electronics in Calgary, SE off Blackfoot. If you want the exact same you'll find them on DigiKey or consider asking Modular LED.

Thanks! We tried Active Tech last night on 32 Ave NE, but had no luck.

I'm not sure what they are called or where you can get them, but modular led sells extensions cables that have the male and female end for $2.50.
Unless he is going crazy with wiring many things, I'd just grab them from Martin.

Yeah . . . he's going crazy. He builds all of his own circuit boards for his trains, and does a bunch of nutty stuff. He had a wiring issue at Supertrain three years ago that shut his N-Scale coffee table train down for half the show. He's thinking that the two pin connectors will simplify things in the future.

He's really impressed with the kit I ordered from Martin (LEDs and fans), and it has given him a bunch of ideas. He's already torn one of my LED drivers apart to see how it ticks, too. I think he has a plan for it. I may need to order another one.

Enigma
09-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Are these the same type of plugs used for motherboard <-> case connectors on computers? I apologize if you attached a picture, I can't see images at work.

No. I didn't attach a photo.

Martin's 12" extension connector has both the male and female ends that hubby wants.
http://www.modularled.ca/12-inch-extension-connector/

Jeff000
09-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Most commonly called a molex connector. Although it covers a huge range of connections.

Should get you close though.

MKLKT
09-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Most commonly called a molex connector. Although it covers a huge range of connections.

Should get you close though.

Yeah, looks like a lot like the molex for PC fans. There are a large variety of pin counts and connections. You could probably get a few packs from Digikey, or other component supplier.

Enigma
09-14-2012, 07:26 PM
I've sent hubby the link to Digikey. He can figure out what he needs himself! :lol: Wow. Lots of stuff.

Thanks, guys. :)