PDA

View Full Version : Buying Seahorse from Blue Zoo Aquatics US

arash53
09-14-2012, 04:48 AM
I just wondering if I have them ship to pint robert is it legal to bring them in?

www.bluezooaquatics.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

George
09-14-2012, 05:05 AM
not unless you have a CITES permit. seahorses are protected under CITES.

mrhasan
09-14-2012, 05:49 AM
And the paper works are generally around thousand $s and takes a month or so.

arash53
09-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the info.

mrhasan
09-14-2012, 07:02 AM
I think there's someone in Ontario who can supply seahorses within Canada.

arash53
09-14-2012, 07:04 AM
I think there's someone in Ontario who can supply seahorses within Canada.

Do know how cold i find them?

mrhasan
09-14-2012, 07:06 AM
PMed

rayjay
09-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Unfortunately my reidi are not producing at the moment so I don't have any for sale just now.
If you want H. erectus, the only place in Canada to buy True Captive Bred ones is from Sea U Marine (http://www.seaumarine.com/) in Markam Ontario (Toronto Area)
They are the best quality stock of seahorses I've found in about 10 yrs.
Closer to you, you might contact J&L Aquatics (http://www.jlaquatics.com/info/137/Seahorses+%26+Pipefish.html) and see what they have in. All there stock is not true captive bred with some being what is called tank raised.
Tank raised, raised in captivity but using water not properly filtered/treated for pathogens.
As such, these tank raised, while trained to eat frozen, should be put on a 9 week, 3 drug protocol for deworming that wild caught should go through.
True Captive Bred, raised in captivity using water that IS properly filtered/treated for pathogens, or using water made from commercial salts.

Blue Zoo hasn't a great reputation as far as seahorses go, and, if you are having them shipped to a point in the US so you can bring them across yourself you will still need cities papers and vet papers from point of shipment.
Also, there are only a few points of entry to be able to bring in seahorses into Canada so you have to check first about where you intend to cross.
To make it worthwhile to any breeder, you need to order about 100 seahorses and pay for the vet and cites paperwork which I think was about 3 or 4 hundred on my last order in October 2011,

arash53
09-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately my reidi are not producing at the moment so I don't have any for sale just now.
If you want H. erectus, the only place in Canada to buy True Captive Bred ones is from Sea U Marine (http://www.seaumarine.com/) in Markam Ontario (Toronto Area)
They are the best quality stock of seahorses I've found in about 10 yrs.
Closer to you, you might contact J&L Aquatics (http://www.jlaquatics.com/info/137/Seahorses+%26+Pipefish.html) and see what they have in. All there stock is not true captive bred with some being what is called tank raised.
Tank raised, raised in captivity but using water not properly filtered/treated for pathogens.
As such, these tank raised, while trained to eat frozen, should be put on a 9 week, 3 drug protocol for deworming that wild caught should go through.
True Captive Bred, raised in captivity using water that IS properly filtered/treated for pathogens, or using water made from commercial salts.

Blue Zoo hasn't a great reputation as far as seahorses go, and, if you are having them shipped to a point in the US so you can bring them across yourself you will still need cities papers and vet papers from point of shipment.
Also, there are only a few points of entry to be able to bring in seahorses into Canada so you have to check first about where you intend to cross.
To make it worthwhile to any breeder, you need to order about 100 seahorses and pay for the vet and cites paperwork which I think was about 3 or 4 hundred on my last order in October 2011,

Thank you. I bought two Kellogei from J&L few month a go they are doing great, they both female and their color turned to black after two month!

I am looking for a type of yellow/orange or bright red Seahorse which wont change color.

rayjay
09-14-2012, 08:45 PM
You are looking for "the holy Grail" of seahorse keeping.
They don't exist.
Many pay premium prices for coloured seahorses only to find them go a "bland" yellowish or brownish or blackish after getting them in their tanks.
Seahorses change their colours to suit their mood, and to suit what they feel is the best camouflage colouration for where they are.
I have worked for years to find a way, as I'm sure many other have according to posts on the "org", but no one can guarantee and lasting colouration.
The best I've come up with so far is to paint the bottom and back and ends sky blue, and remove the live rock to the sump. Even then, the reds and oranges and not as brilliant as when I bought them.

Forgot to add, DON'T add seahorses from another breeding source to your tank, especially with H. kelloggi in their already. (they don't have a good track record long term)
Species only set up is best for seahorses.
Pipefish is another that should not be added to your seahorse tank.