PDA

View Full Version : Review my sump/fuge.... PLZ!!!!!

hfp75
09-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Well I am needing to make a sump/fuge. Let me begin with the situation. A new tank for me. I have a used (new for me) 55 g main tank with stand and need a sump/fuge – Yes its plumbed for one I just need to make it. I found a 20g long on kijiji for $10, it had some leaks to I dismantled it and put it back together using DAP Blue Silicone which I have read it aquarium safe. I chose the 20G long as its the best fit for under my 36” 55g. It measures 30” (w) x 14” (h) x 12 (f-b). Leaving me a few inches above and a few on the side.

I was given a Cora-life 65g Super-skimmer. I know that it is not the best but it is what I have. I need to add baffles into the sump. It would be nice if the skimmers area is big enough so that in the future I can add a better skimmer.

30” long anyone ideas?

I have been reading about sump/fuges and need ...

return from tank
skimmer
pump to tank

I think its possible to add a place for live rock rubble and I like the idea of chaeto and possibly a DSB....

1st area - Return from tank & Skimmer - 8”
2nd area – DSB 4-6 “ and Chaeto loose ontop with a light above.
3rd area – Live rock rubble.
(Areas 2 & 3 will share the middle 16” of the sump/fuge. I am planning for 1/3 for DSB and 2/3 for live rock.)
4th area - Pump to tank - 6”

Let me know what you think – if you have never done this before and have no real wisdom please keep your ideas to yourself. I have read a bunch on this and this seems to be a good setup. I might consider switching 2 & 3.

I'll add pics when I can.

Also, on the skimmer note, how high should I make the wall for the skimmer/tank return? I wont have the super skimmer forever and dont want to make it to short and hate life when the wall/baffle should have been an inch higher. I can easily put a small platform under the skimmer to lift it up.

Sunee
09-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Your plan looks fine. I only have 3 compartments as I went with rock under the chaeto not sand. I would suggest before you decide on the size of the skimmer compartment that you research the type of skimmer you may want to buy in the future and size the compartment accordingly. You are right, it is easier to build a platform for you skimmer than trying to increase the divider height. Good luck!

duncangweller
09-11-2012, 11:32 PM
I added the refugium on the opposite side of the tank in my sump as I was told that you don't want skimmed water going through your refugium. I just have a tee off the main drain line which delivers 25% of the water to my refugium and the other 75% to my skimmer section. Return pump is in the middle section.

Dunc

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

hfp75
09-12-2012, 01:43 AM
From what I've read your right cause the preskimmed water has more nutrients for a fuge. You also don't want to skim water after it passes through your fuge. What the fuge gives off is good for your tank. Just pump it in & don't skim it.

It's a loose loose unless you split.

Skimmer > return < fuge