PDA

View Full Version : Playing with "Steve" the octopus

Youngster Dan
09-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi again everyone, this is a little video I took playing with "Steve" the giant pacific octopus. He is a little more shy than some of the other GPOs we've had, but he still certainly likes interactions.

Excuse the cheesy music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C86MZjodmiQ&feature=youtu.be

Salt2Death
09-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Great Video!
Makes me wish I had the resources to keep one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badfish!
09-11-2012, 04:36 PM
That is soo awesome! Thank you so much for sharing.

Reef Supplies
09-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Great video, great pet! Love the anticipation at beginning, well done. Can we see the rest of the tank?

reefwars
09-11-2012, 04:42 PM
thats awesome dan, reminds me of being home at the marine center with the seals:)

keep up the good work , cheers:)

Snaz
09-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Nice friendship. Good on the both of you.

michika
09-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Very cool!

mseepman
09-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Wow...all I have to say! Great video.

Sunee
09-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Wonderful video!

jagermaier
09-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Awesome video, thanks for sharing! :smile:

mataconda
09-12-2012, 03:19 AM
Thats really sweet. Do you ever hide "treats" for him in the kongs?

Youngster Dan
09-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Thank you everyone! Over the last 7 or so months, I have been gathering some observational data to see if enrichment actually has an effect on his general behaviours. I will keep you all posted once I have everything finished up.

Great video, great pet! Love the anticipation at beginning, well done. Can we see the rest of the tank?

I have some photos somewhere, I'll try and post 'em up.

thats awesome dan, reminds me of being home at the marine center with the seals:)

keep up the good work , cheers:)

Thanks! I would LOVE to hang out and play with seals.

Thats really sweet. Do you ever hide "treats" for him in the kongs?

You bet! We even give him a jar, and he has to unscrew the lid first before he gets the crab/whatever we placed inside.

bignose
09-12-2012, 04:59 PM
It's amazing how intelligent they are. Do they ever get aggressive?

Youngster Dan
09-12-2012, 05:23 PM
It's amazing how intelligent they are. Do they ever get aggressive?

Yeah, it leaves me in awe almost every day just how smart they are.

As far as aggressive, it's really hard to say. Our previous octopus was very eager and wouldn't let you go (especially if he got you with his big suckers). I interpret that as an aggressive behaviour, but it's really hard to say. Another aggressive behaviour the last octopus would do is siphon water at you (and you would get soaked!) - often if you play with him a couple times and don't give them food right away. He never tried to bite me or anything like that though. Octopuses are solitary animals from the day they are born, and have an emotional repertoire that is completely different from mammals or other vertebrates. So, it is really hard to say exactly what the motives are behind any given behaviour.

Steve is very passive as far as a GPO goes, the playing you see in the video is very typical. He kind of tastes you and lets you rub his forehead and mantle, and I have never felt uncomfortable with him and I haven't seen any "aggressiveness".

This in itself is interesting, because it shows just how different one GPO is from another and that they have different personalities.

michika
09-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Who named him Steve? How old is he?

I used to love watching these three octopi that the UofA Biology dept they were named after the three stooges. Their favorite things were pumpkins that students carved for a different class.

bignose
09-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah, it leaves me in awe almost every day just how smart they are.

As far as aggressive, it's really hard to say. Our previous octopus was very eager and wouldn't let you go (especially if he got you with his big suckers). I interpret that as an aggressive behaviour, but it's really hard to say. Another aggressive behaviour the last octopus would do is siphon water at you (and you would get soaked!) - often if you play with him a couple times and don't give them food right away. He never tried to bite me or anything like that though. Octopuses are solitary animals from the day they are born, and have an emotional repertoire that is completely different from mammals or other vertebrates. So, it is really hard to say exactly what the motives are behind any given behaviour.

Steve is very passive as far as a GPO goes, the playing you see in the video is very typical. He kind of tastes you and lets you rub his forehead and mantle, and I have never felt uncomfortable with him and I haven't seen any "aggressiveness".

This in itself is interesting, because it shows just how different one GPO is from another and that they have different personalities.

My 3 year old daughter thought Steve's video was scary lol. I had to read your text to her and explain what Steve was doing.

Youngster Dan
09-13-2012, 03:40 AM
Who named him Steve? How old is he?

I used to love watching these three octopi that the UofA Biology dept they were named after the three stooges. Their favorite things were pumpkins that students carved for a different class.

Steve picked his own name! We had visitors vote for their favorite names, and then Steve would pick one of two jars - eliminating names until we had a winner. I was hoping for the name "Octopus Prime" :lol:

I actually believe that the fact the average person (note I say average, as I name corals) name octopus is somewhat significant to our attitudes on how smart they are. I find the animals that have public names in aquariums are the mammals and octopuses - so we intrinsically place them on the same kind of level as mammals in a way.

My 3 year old daughter thought Steve's video was scary lol. I had to read your text to her and explain what Steve was doing.

Haha, that made me laugh. If you watch the video without the music it is much less dramatic!

Coralgurl
09-13-2012, 04:09 AM
Amazing, thank you for sharing! Please keep sharing your progress with Steve, I find these creatures fascinating and your relationship is just unbelievable. Are you his sole handler or is there a team and are his responses the same with everyone or is each unique?

Youngster Dan
09-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Amazing, thank you for sharing! Please keep sharing your progress with Steve, I find these creatures fascinating and your relationship is just unbelievable. Are you his sole handler or is there a team and are his responses the same with everyone or is each unique?

I probably handle him the most, but there are a couple other aquarists who play with him as well. The first day I tried to play with him he was very eager and receptive to be touched - they are fast learners!