PDA

View Full Version : AI Sol Mounting Rack

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 02:56 AM
I'm thinking of doing away with my canopy, and considering the stock AI mounting system. Anyone use this and have an opinion? Pics would be great too :)

VFX
09-11-2012, 03:26 AM
I'm using them on my 72G bow front.

They do the job ok, look decent and aren't too pricey but I'm not a huge fan of the mounting rails. They need much taller legs and are slightly flimsy.

I've had to use some temporary wooden blocks to lift them high enough until I build something more elegant looking.

The rails do hold my supplementary t5's in nicely in place.

Anyway, here's some quick n dirty iPhone pics.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/bunglie/de9e1b04.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/bunglie/00061763.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/bunglie/5041aea9.jpg

The Grizz
09-11-2012, 03:32 AM
Much better option, just saying.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/317993bc.jpg

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 03:40 AM
Much better option, just saying.

No, not really. This is for a living room install, and that's a bit industrial looking. Would not get wife approval.

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 03:41 AM
They need much taller legs and are slightly flimsy.

Ya, that's what, 3 inches? Not nearly tall enough. Guess I need a plan "B" :)

Thanks for the pics.

jorjef
09-11-2012, 04:03 AM
Will you be hanging from the ceiling or are you looking for tank mount?

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 04:04 AM
Will you be hanging from the ceiling or are you looking for tank mount?

I was hoping to mount it. Pretty sure "you're not f'ing hanging anything" meant no hanging :)

Madreefer
09-11-2012, 04:08 AM
Sorry no pic. The mounting legs are a joke. The legs are about 3" but the design of the fixtures has them hanging quite low. The lights end up being way too close to the top of the water. I too had to prop them up and used beer mugs until my hanging kit arrived.

jorjef
09-11-2012, 04:09 AM
lol ya that was one of those "should have read twice and hit button once" moments. Anyways can't really help mine are `suspended`from the ceiling.

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 04:23 AM
Sorry no pic. The mounting legs are a joke. The legs are about 3" but the design of the fixtures has them hanging quite low. The lights end up being way too close to the top of the water. I too had to prop them up and used beer mugs until my hanging kit arrived.

Ya, the lights are almost 2", so that's way too close to the water. Mine sit about 6 inches off the water, and I'd like to keep them there. And the beer mugs wouldn't win me any points either :razz:

The Grizz
09-11-2012, 05:03 AM
If you went with the rails you could always have some custom legs made to the height you require.

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 06:10 AM
If you went with the rails you could always have some custom legs made to the height you require.

Ya, that's possible, but adds a lot more cost. I'm already paying the lights off for the rest of the year :)

MKLKT
09-11-2012, 06:28 AM
You could check my 110g link to see what the lighter version of the rails that Grizz showed. They look really slick in person, honestly a lot nicer than the stock rails.

martinmcnally
09-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Also look at the new AI rails the EXT system. You can use 3 of the short rails and 2 tank mounts to make a full end to end system for over your tank. Little bit more pricey than hanging from the ceiling which is pretty much the cleanest install.

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Got a link to those Martin?

Smudge
09-11-2012, 02:13 PM
I am using the rails with Tech legs.

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 02:46 PM
I am using the rails with Tech legs.

How high are the lights off the water?

don.ald
09-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I used legs and rails with my old T5 lights, and every time I had to go fishing into the tank, even to pickup a frag or turn over a snail I had to remove the lights...pick them up and put them on the floor...its a royal pain.
Now that I have them suspended (thanks to The Grizz) I can't believe what I was missing. I can fall right in and never touch the lights.

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 02:59 PM
I would suspend them if I had the choice, but I've been over ruled. The Grizz style would work, but I don't think I could attach them anywhere as I have no access to the back of the stand. And they'd need to be prettied up a bit, maybe round tubing with some powder coating and finished ends..

Nano
09-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Does the tank sit against the wall? If so what about some shelving installed above to hang them? Your wife could put some trinkets up then too ;) win win IMO

The Guy
09-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Ya, the lights are almost 2", so that's way too close to the water. Mine sit about 6 inches off the water, and I'd like to keep them there. And the beer mugs wouldn't win me any points either :razz: Hey Brad:
I'm watch this thread with interest as I'm going to be using 2 AI's on my 90 gallon new set up. :smile: Awesome led's

reefwars
09-11-2012, 04:47 PM
you fellas can all buy your lights of me one day once i patent my hover light lol fans will push air down making the light float over water, adds surface agitation and cools your tank...all at the same time :P

im accepting million dollar donations if anyone wants to invest in my crazy:P

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Does the tank sit against the wall? If so what about some shelving installed above to hang them? Your wife could put some trinkets up then too ;) win win IMO

Not really. The stand sits against the wall, but the tank is about 8 inches out. Kind of a shelf behind the tank

MKLKT
09-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Not really. The stand sits against the wall, but the tank is about 8 inches out. Kind of a shelf behind the tank

Is the tank completely on the stand or do you have room like I did? You can see how I drilled the clamp onto the inside of the stand instead of from the back. I've seen the Tek/AI Rail combo before, it's not bad but you don't get much play with the height adjustment.

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Is the tank completely on the stand or do you have room like I did? .

I have room, but pretty sure I can't access it. Not enough room to work behind the tank, and bracing inside won't give me access from underneath. Would have been a good plan before the tank got placed :)

martinmcnally
09-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Got a link to those Martin?

http://www.modularled.ca/ext-tank-mount/
http://www.modularled.ca/ext-rails/

As I was saying 2 tank mounts one on each end of your tank can be used with multiple rails and Sols or Vegas to make a complete end to send system. The bars can also be cut if they are to long.

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 06:28 PM
http://www.modularled.ca/ext-tank-mount/
http://www.modularled.ca/ext-rails/

As I was saying 2 tank mounts one on each end of your tank can be used with multiple rails and Sols or Vegas to make a complete end to send system. The bars can also be cut if they are to long.

Ah, I see. Sorry, can't mount to the sides, so these won't work. Thanks

Smudge
09-11-2012, 07:01 PM
How high are the lights off the water?

I'm thinking 7-8" max but can be adjusted lower, I will check when I get home.

jorjef
09-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Is it an option to lag a nicely finished piece of hard wood onto the wall behind the tank and extend an aluminum frame off of it hang your lights from? The wall mounted wood piece could match any other trim in that area of the house and with it spanning as long as you need you would be sure to hit a few wall studs to make it secure.

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Is it an option to lag a nicely finished piece of hard wood onto the wall behind the tank and extend an aluminum frame off of it hang your lights from? The wall mounted wood piece could match any other trim in that area of the house and with it spanning as long as you need you would be sure to hit a few wall studs to make it secure.

That may be an option, I'm just worried that it may have to extend too far. As for studs, I'm not sure there are any in the wall...don't ask :)

don.ald
09-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Time to move into a new house that suites the tank!

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Time to move into a new house that suites the tank!

Tank isn't moving until I shut it down

jorjef
09-11-2012, 08:58 PM
As for studs, I'm not sure there are any in the wall...don't ask :)

A wall with no studs is a giant window or a concrete wall. Maybe Denny's soon to be invented lights are the best option.....

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 09:22 PM
A wall with no studs is a giant window or a concrete wall. Maybe Denny's soon to be invented lights are the best option.....

The wall is about 3 feet think. I think it contains a hidden fireplace. I have removed entire sheets of drywall in other parts of the house, a stud only at each end of the wall.. Pretty sure it was an add-on by a drunk homeowner -lol

Denny's option would cause too much evaporation, which is why I went to LED to begin with.
Doug has a nice wooden rack that he made for Radions, I might be able to do something with that idea..

Smudge
09-11-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm thinking 7-8" max but can be adjusted lower, I will check when I get home.

They are 8.5" off of the water.

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 10:25 PM
They are 8.5" off of the water.

Any pics?

Smudge
09-11-2012, 10:39 PM
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54382462/013%20%282%29.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54382462/014.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54382462/015.JPG

Borderjumper
09-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Oh heck.. Suspend them from the ceiling and let your better half get crafty and hid the cables.. Grow an ivy up them or something. You will be amazed how easy it is to work in your tank with them hangin. You could run a line between the cables and use it to dry your undies!

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Oh heck.. Suspend them from the ceiling and let your better half get crafty and hid the cables.. Grow an ivy up them or something. You will be amazed how easy it is to work in your tank with them hangin. You could run a line between the cables and use it to dry your undies!

YOU tell her that!!! lol I would hang them, Christy said no...

Borderjumper
09-11-2012, 11:13 PM
YOU tell her that!!! lol I would hang them, Christy said no...

I have to ask.. OMG here goes...

has she seen them hanging? They really look pretty clean.

There I said it!

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 11:16 PM
I have to ask.. OMG here goes...

has she seen them hanging? They really look pretty clean.

There I said it!

No, she hasn't. We'll come by this weekend and you can show her yours and explain how she's wrong...

Borderjumper
09-11-2012, 11:25 PM
No, she hasn't. We'll come by this weekend and you can show her yours and explain how she's wrong...

Bring cookies and the peanut.

Borderjumper
09-11-2012, 11:27 PM
What you may want to look at too is a big L bracket.. The kind that holds a board to make a shelf? I made up a ghetto one to hang this one radion.. But if you took your time and painted it the wall color I bet it would look pretty stylin.

StirCrazy
09-14-2012, 04:12 AM
I was hoping to mount it. Pretty sure "you're not f'ing hanging anything" meant no hanging :)

just hang them when she's at the store. she'll like it :mrgreen:

Aquattro
09-14-2012, 04:29 AM
Bring cookies and the peanut.

Ok :)

Aquattro
09-14-2012, 04:29 AM
just hang them when she's at the store. she'll like it :mrgreen:

not altogether a bad idea, given the alternatives -lol

when you coming down for pizza?

StirCrazy
09-16-2012, 10:43 PM
not altogether a bad idea, given the alternatives -lol

when you coming down for pizza?

not sure, I was hoping to get a motorcycle trip in befor the insurance runs out but not sure.... when you comming up?

Aquattro
09-16-2012, 10:50 PM
not sure, I was hoping to get a motorcycle trip in befor the insurance runs out but not sure.... when you comming up?

When I have lots of money, more time and no kids at home. Soon, probably :)