PDA

View Full Version : Best Time To Dose

martinmcnally
09-10-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm just starting my auto dosing now after getting a 3 pump doser. Never done any auto dosing before so going to start out slowly and monitor everything.

Are there recommended times of day to dose? Does ALK need to be done after lights out? I thought I read that somewhere but not sure.

Rice Reef
09-11-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm just starting my auto dosing now after getting a 3 pump doser. Never done any auto dosing before so going to start out slowly and monitor everything.

Are there recommended times of day to dose? Does ALK need to be done after lights out? I thought I read that somewhere but not sure.

Martin, I have bee using the profilux standalone doser for almost 1.5 yrs and never look back to manual dosing. I am dosing Alk, Ca and Mg and am currently dosing 24 times per day ( once every hr). I used to dose 6x per day but I find that by dosing 24x the corals are happier a the water parameters are more consistent than dosing 6x.

martinmcnally
09-11-2012, 12:34 AM
So are you dosing them at the same time or different times? Like 5 minutes per hour or how much per hour?

Rice Reef
09-11-2012, 01:05 AM
So are you dosing them at the same time or different times? Like 5 minutes per hour or how much per hour?

The three dosers doses randomly but never at the same time but each time when it dose it is about one hr apart ( when set 24x per day). The profilux is easy and once set I don't have to worry about it but I still check the levels every week to see if I need to incr or decr. If you are using a non-programmable doser and need a timer than you will need to figure out the amt to dose and figure out how much te doser dose per minute and then program to the timer. I would use water to measure this. Hope this helps... :smile: