PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Coral

Aquattro
09-10-2012, 09:11 PM
I was talking to Jason (Jaws) today about having any of my original corals still, and the one piece I've managed to save over the years is a really nice pink birdsnest. I almost lost the whole thing about 3 years ago, but managed to save a bit the size of a peanut and grow it out again.
I guess I've had this about 8 years now (originally from Shao/Smokinreefer).

What's your oldest piece?

marie
09-10-2012, 10:03 PM
My foxcoral is my oldest, I've had it for nearly 11 yrs now

christyf5
09-10-2012, 10:06 PM
My Pocillipora damicornis which I do believe I got from you. I've had it for at least 6 years and I don't know how long you had it before me. I think the last time we talked about it we figured it was well over 10 years old :biggrin:

reefwars
09-10-2012, 10:12 PM
my oldest i have now is my nuclear green palys going on 4 yrs, these have seen me leave the country , come back, frag, move ,get passed around....and i still have them:P:P

edit*** from kelly @ thereefshoppe

RuGlu6
09-10-2012, 10:16 PM
At least 9 years pink Monti (?) SPS from Chin Lee.

Aquattro
09-10-2012, 10:19 PM
My Pocillipora damicornis which I do believe I got from you. I've had it for at least 6 years and I don't know how long you had it before me. I think the last time we talked about it we figured it was well over 10 years old :biggrin:

Yup, I'd guess about 10 yrs for that piece!

ScubaSteve
09-10-2012, 10:45 PM
I have a green milli that I got from MilliporaManiac nearly 4 years ago now. That think has been to hell and back but is still one of my biggest, nicest colonies.

Aquattro
09-10-2012, 10:49 PM
I have a green milli that I got from MilliporaManiac nearly 4 years ago now. That think has been to hell and back but is still one of my biggest, nicest colonies.

It's nice to get that uninterrupted growth, the colonies look amazing. My PBN almost vanished a couple of times, so it's still only the size of a grapefruit..

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-10-2012, 11:27 PM
I have two green rhodactis mushrooms from my original tank back before I joined Canreef. These have survived being moved between at least 8 different tanks over the last 9 years+. Just switched them from the main 165g reef to my RSM 130 Bangaii breeding tank/softie reef.

Coralgurl
09-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Not nearly as impressive as you guys, but I still have my 2 of 3 of my first corals I bought in August last year. Metallic green bubble and button corals. Both have doubled in size and my bubble coral is what got me hooked on reefing. Hope I can say I still have it in 10 years :biggrin: I lost my wall frogspawn a month ago, that was the 3rd, I bought them all at the same time.

reefermadness
09-11-2012, 03:18 AM
I've still got a few sps from 6yrs ago or more. I aquired them from local sps nut back then and im sure he kept them for a few years at least as well. I also have corals such as tyree purple monster that come from the original colony imported over 12yrs ago...if you think of it that way.

dreef
09-11-2012, 03:26 AM
Just a common green wall hammer,but it's who i recieved it from,that's made me keep it..going on 7 years.

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 03:43 AM
I also have corals such as tyree purple monster that come from the original colony imported over 12yrs ago...if you think of it that way.

Ya, I guess if it's got the lineage, it counts as old :)

Jaws
09-11-2012, 04:52 AM
Its really cool to hear another story of survival other than just fish. When you think about it, corals that are this old have probably been feeding the hobby for years and will continue to for years to come. Good success stories.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

The Codfather
09-12-2012, 03:35 AM
12 years and I still dont know what the hell it is....
Its died a few times been in a few other tanks, but has always made its way home. Any ideas? Its been nick named the dog poop coral....
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt252/codfather_2009/IMG_2711.jpg

don.ald
09-12-2012, 03:41 AM
Its died a few times been in a few other tanks, but has always made its way home. Any ideas? Its been nick named the dog poop coral....

Pavona?

Aquattro
09-12-2012, 03:45 AM
Pavona?

That's my guess too

reefgirl189
09-12-2012, 03:53 AM
My oldest corals are 9 months old now, about the same age as our tank minus the start up cycle time. A frogspawn, some zoas, a hammer coral and some other softies/LPS. We have some of the initial livestock too, which is nice. I hope I still have them a few years down the road.

wickedfrags
09-12-2012, 12:33 PM
There are many corals kicking around Toronto over 10 years old, I am in the process of getting some of them back from people that got frags off me!

reefwars
09-12-2012, 02:44 PM

haha bob i was thinking about you when this thread got started , remember that huge encrusting monti i go off you , you had it in your sump and it was white as a ghost. i kept it for a year and passed it onto my friend jeff and he has it today its colored up nicely.

i think i remember that coral being over 10yrs old just when i got it off you lol its got to be close to 14-15 now:P

mataconda
09-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi there, new to the forum, not the hobby. I have been Reefing for almost 8 years now. I have a few corals from the get go still. GSP, Orange Monti Cap, Purple Tip Monti Digi and Candy Cane coral. I have grown all these from 1 inch frags.

untamed
09-20-2012, 01:11 AM
I've had my hammer coral now for almost 20 years. If I had not fragged it so many times, I can't even imagine how large it would be.

Aquattro
09-20-2012, 01:29 AM
I've had my hammer coral now for almost 20 years. If I had not fragged it so many times, I can't even imagine how large it would be.

wow, that's gotta be a record of some sort!!

daniella3d
09-20-2012, 01:51 AM
I only have saltwater tanks for 3 years but I have an alveopora that's been with me since then and doing great. It went through copper poisonning and survived it.

Considering how hard these corals are to keep long term, I am pretty happy about it. It's even growing.

I also have a few SPS and a duncan from the begining doing great.

I have read that sponges can live forever.

Skimmerking
09-20-2012, 12:55 PM

looks like some kind of a Provona