PDA

View Full Version : ick questions

mytank90
09-10-2012, 07:53 PM
can a person get ick in there tank fom buying coral?i happen to see a nice piece of coral for sale the other day but didnt buy because the tank was going threw a ick outbreak .if you can get ick from buying stuff coral is there a proper way get it off the coral?or is it best to just not buy .thanks

mrhasan
09-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Ichs cant harvest themselves in the coral itself but the rock/skeleton can have the germs. If I were you, I would pass on that since I am not totally sure whether coral dip can help.

Cal_stir
09-10-2012, 08:04 PM
ich can be transfered by rock/skeleton, no, coral dip won't kill it

Northernseacorals
09-10-2012, 08:09 PM
can a person get ick in there tank fom buying coral?i happen to see a nice piece of coral for sale the other day but didnt buy because the tank was going threw a ick outbreak .if you can get ick from buying stuff coral is there a proper way get it off the coral?or is it best to just not buy .thanks

If you have a quarantine tank with enough lighting to keep the coral healthy, purchase the coral and leave it in the quarantine tank for roughly 28-30 days, see here for some good information about ich. http://www.chucksaddiction.com/ich.html

I regularly use a quarantine tank for new corals, have not run into issues with ich infestations.

George
09-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Buying corals from a tank with an out break of marine ich is a risk. Marine ich tomont likes to attach to rock, sand and hard coral skeleton.
The latest info on marine ich suggests to quarantine a known ich outbreak for 9+ weeks. Not sure if you want to go through all this hassle for just a piece of coral :)