PDA

View Full Version : overflow idea wich one is the best ?

Dom
04-13-2004, 03:12 PM
im having my tank drill , and i would like ur opignion on what kind of overflow is the best betwen thoes two ?

i have the choice betwen ...

drilling the bottom and put a pipe as overflow

and my second option is drilling on the right and left upper corner of the back panel and put somme elbow in the bulkhead that goes up at the edge of the water

what u think is the best choice ?

Jason McK
04-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Dom, I am face with the same challenge myself.
but I wanted to save some space, and didn't want t overflow box in my tank.
I don't know how big you tank is?

But this is what I went for.

To keep it quite and to maintain surface skimming. As well as not drilling the bottom (some tank bottoms are tempered glass) I decided to drill the back and create a angled overflow. A piece of acrylic siliconed just below the drain holes and angled outward to the hight of desired water level. This will maximize space and function as well as an overflow box. I hope. I will post pics when I get it built.

J

StirCrazy
04-14-2004, 03:43 AM
if you know that the bottom of the tank is not tempered I would recommend drilling the bottom. I did the holes in the end and I wish I did them in the bottom.

my reason is that you do not need any "extra" room for plumbing to hang off the side/back, and with them in the bottom then can drain directly down to your sump. this saves on plumbing and work (you should see the mess I had to go through would change your mind in a heart beat) also if you are going to put overflows in they will not be much different if you drill the bottom you just extend then to the bottom of the tank. I had the big Idea that I would have more space with one that only went 1/2 way down but it is unusable space that i ended up with.

Steve

Dom
04-18-2004, 06:03 PM
i decide to go with upper corner on eche side of the back panel as overflow , since the space in the back of the tank is not a probelemes , i like this type of overflow its the one that dont take to much spece in the tank

i hope it aint gonna be to noisy :confused: