PDA

View Full Version : 48" lighting for my new set up

09jk
09-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Looking for something that will suitable for my salt water aquarium. Id like led but that seems to be on he high end of the wallet.
I'll be doing mainly fish, but wouldnt mind some colts, mushrooms and pollups.
I'd like a lot of shimmer

Thanks Curtis
NW Edmonton
778-363-5857

mrhasan
09-10-2012, 02:04 AM
I think you will need metal halide for the shimmer effect. As far as I know, only LED and MH can produce shimmer effect.

Aquattro
09-10-2012, 02:13 AM
Probably the best value for your needs, and to provide shimmer, is a used Coralife fixture, typically 150w MH with PC supplements. Generally pretty cheap these days.

Adread
09-10-2012, 02:40 AM
Hey Curtis...somebody at frag fest today had a power compact fixture for cheap. Maybe message Ken at blue world aquatics to find out who it was.

Cheers
Adam

09jk
09-10-2012, 02:58 AM
Ken? I'm new on here, I don't think I know him. I have someone coming by tomorrow to show me some LEDs he has for sale.
If it doesn't work out, I'd deffenitly like to talk to ken. What's his name on this forum?

Thanks curtis

Nano
09-10-2012, 03:32 AM
Do you know what type of LEDs? I would stay away from marinelands or leds like that. I would find out what they are first brand wise so you don't waste your money

BTW Ken is "blueworldaquatic"

iceman86
09-10-2012, 12:40 PM
As stated above be careful with what you buy. I bought a marine land unit and its just sitting in my closet now. If you wanna save money and get led's go for the DIY route. If you want I also got a t5 unit I don't use and was used for like 2 weeks then decided on LEDs cuz I wanted sps. Its got 2 blue bulbs and 2 white bulbs. I can let go for cheap cuz its also sitting in my closet lol

intarsiabox
09-10-2012, 02:15 PM
T5HO fixtures can grow most anything with proper placement, don't put off a lot of heat, don't use a ton of power, can change bulb colors to a get a pleasing effect but don't provide any shimmer effect. Bulbs also must be changed regularily. Fairly inexpensive these days.

Metal halides use more power, put off lots of heat but will provide the shimmer effect and can be purchased very cheaply these days.

LED's use less power, have the shimmer effect, can be dimmed and colors changed to your desired effect and you shouldn't need to replace any bulbs anytime soon. They are more expensive but a good quality unit is night and day over cheap chinese ebay fixtures. You can also check out Modular LED for a do it yourself system. Everything is plug and play and you can design it to your exact specs.

Everyone starts off thinking just a simple fish only tank will be all they need but then get bitten by the coral bug. It saves money in the long run to get a good quality light at the start that can grow with your system rather than having to replace it.