PDA

View Full Version : New Member: Chiz from Calgary

Chiz
09-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Hi All,

New to the hobby (addiction?) and canreef. Currently setting up a 90 gallon reef tank. Apologies in advance for any frenzied noob style posts.

Huge shout out to reefwars for some serious support and great advice.

The Grizz
09-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Welcome to CanReef Chiz, enjoy the roller coaster of reef keeping.

lpsreefer
09-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Welcome indeed.
We like pictures!

Bblinks
09-10-2012, 01:08 AM
:welcome:

ashr
09-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Welcome!!

You will meet a ton of great people on this site and please feel free to ask anything you need too! We're always around to help you with the good and the bad days!

Enjoy your stay!!:mrgreen:

SteveConn
09-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Welcome to the hobby/addiction.

Other than needing a second job, line of credit, therapist, marriage counselor, tons of patience (and medication, and/or alcohol ...then associated rehab), tank sitter, second fridge (to store the fish food), late night water transfers to ward off a tank crash(es), skin grafts after spilling superglue on yourself (sorry Denny!), falling rock structures, failing heaters, lights, fans, controllers, backups of backups, plumbing leaks, coral pests and the months of searching how to get rid of them.....

Its actually a fantastic hobby, and after a year and a bit, this has become MY primary learning resource to avoid/solve much of the above!!

lpsreefer
09-10-2012, 07:06 AM
skin grafts after spilling superglue on yourself (sorry Denny!)

Hahahaha priceless!
Quote of the week!

Enigma
09-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Welcome, Chiz. :)

With Denny as a mentor . . . you should do just fine. Though, there is apparently a "super glue" incident that requires investigation. Perhaps you should consult someone else regard its usage. :lol:

christyf5
09-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Welcome to Canreef! All frenzied noob style posts are welcomed and enjoyed, its the only free entertainment we get :wink:

Also, lets face it, we've all had a "superglue incident" :razz: Heck I seem to have one on a weekly basis (usually involving me forgetting that I didn't buy the gel kind of superglue so I end up with a sort of superglue glove on my hand *sigh*).

reefwars
09-10-2012, 04:22 PM
yeah yeah yeah get all your laughs in now guys lol to end the day yesterday i had a second glue incident lol

i had wiped a blob of glue off onto the towel then l;aid towel on the floor , i had then kneeled on the towel while i was doing some maintanance...safe to say the glue seeped through my pants and towel and 20 mins later i was glued to the towel which was glued to the floor...i had to cut that one off with a blade.....pain!!!!

so now theres skin flaps all over cube and towel/skin flaps all over my floor lol

glad to see you made it ian , pm me if you have any questions or issues k buddy:)

cheers

jorjef
09-10-2012, 04:25 PM
My condolences in getting involved this hobby. Prepare yourself for the inevitable mental and verbal battles with yourself, your spouse, your fish, corals, cleaning crew.... yes one day you will find yourself yelling at your tank... Not to mention the light headed experiences of looking at visa statements, dealing with DOA shipments and wondering why that fish you just bought lasted less than 24 hrs. Don't get me wrong there will be the time when your tank will look awesome!! just the way you pictured it....thats about a two day window....Reality sucks... pass the valium, have a good day.

Snappy
09-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Welcome to Canreef!

SteveConn
09-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Hey Denny. Peeling superglue off skin is almost an art in this hobby. I've lost a few layers of skin many times already. Once had a foil tube burst in my hand. That was extra-special fun!

Ian, you found a good place! :-)

reefwars
09-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Hey Denny. Peeling superglue off skin is almost an art in this hobby. I've lost a few layers of skin many times already. Once had a foil tube burst in my hand. That was extra-special fun!

Ian, you found a good place! :-)

yeah i cut most of it off with a razor but that made it worse for blood as the glue fused to my skin lol

it actually doesnt look bad if you dont count the huge 6" gash....or the red blotches all over my arm...or the chemical burn that kept me up all night...or the tightness when the glue dried....or the

ok it is that bad lol:)

asylumdown
09-11-2012, 06:22 AM
Welcome!

Nothing is cooler than having a little slice of the ocean in your house, and a 90 gallon is a great place to start!

Just remember, you don't NEED that 130 dollar psychedelic open brain, you in fact just really really want it. It will become very hard to tell the difference though.

Chiz
09-11-2012, 06:24 PM
lol oh man, sounds like there are some serious stories to come out!! Thanks for the warm welcome.