PDA

View Full Version : diy rock

Nano
09-09-2012, 05:00 AM
I've seen a lot of people asking about this lately but stupid me, I haven't followed. The reason I'm bringing this up is because we are buying a house in the spring so after that I am building a bigger tank, most likely a 120 and don't what to spend a $1000 on live rock as that more then likely wont be in my budget with shingles water heaters or what ever else may come up. I have thought about diy rock for some time but never asked about it. I think if its a feasible idea it would be ideal cause I have an image for the aquascape that I more then likely won't be able to create with LR. Now since the budget would be tighter my plan is to make up all the rock and then let it cure for 4-6 months with some live rock in a bin while I accumulate and build the tank. This would allow the rock time to leech out crap and seed and possibly even get some coralline growth on it.

Anyway, if anyone has experience with this I would love some insight and direction on it as I need to soak up all I can if I want to dive into this, and your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always

dbigdog
09-09-2012, 05:11 AM
are you going to frag fest tomorrow,if you are I will be there with some rock i have made.I also have about 30 lbs in a curing tank.I am gauging interest about it as i am looking to begin selling it when it has fully cured.But tomorrow is basically a show and tell so to speak.There are some pics on here as well in the photo gallery.

Nano
09-09-2012, 05:15 AM
No I won't be. But I am curious to hear people's opinions, I mean obviously nothing can match good old live rock, but thought I should ask.

Interested in
Recipes
curing procedures
Seeding
Problems I could encounter
Possible benefits etc.

Nano
09-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Bump

sphelps
09-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Have you considered quality base rock? Usually $300 will get you 100lbs or so. Doubt making it will get you anything better or save you much in the end, plus no rediculous curing requirements. You can also often purchase live rock from others for $3/pound or less.

Nano
09-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah I've considered it, but like said some of the structures I'd be making may be hard to balance pieces together. Also I will have lots of time for curing while im getting things together and built etc so that's not a concern. Plus I think it could be a cool learning experience.

Doug
09-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Mike, {skimmer king}, made some once and I had pieces in my tank. Thought it was as good as any live rock I had. It was heavier though and I dont think as porous.

What Steve mentioned is a better option I think, except for the problem I,m having. Which I assume curing such as others have done would fix. Its very porous and light in comparison to any other rock I have seen or used.

eli@fijireefrock.com
09-09-2012, 04:00 PM
I have done and used DIY rocks years age.I played with regular and white mortar,oyster shell small pieces of natural ocean rock, mixing salt,pasta and other biodegradable product to make the rock as natural as possible and at the end still was unappealing.
The few problems I ran into is that some rocks where very brittle and break or too dense and leach for high ph.The most problem was keeping the ph at bay through the curing process and believe me that took forever.
Dry rocks now a days is cheap and easily accessible without spending all that money.