PDA

View Full Version : Fox face vs power head

Coralgurl
09-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Trying to get some pics of new fish, notice the fox face is missing. He's been hanging in the right side of the tank near the power head, well I found him stuck to it. Thought he was dead, turned the ph off and he swam away. Looks like some of his scales have rubbed off. What can/ should I do? I'm tempted to put him in the smaller tank for a while so he is not chased off by the aggressive eaters but not sure if this will stress him more.

dbigdog
09-09-2012, 12:12 AM
i would switch him,so he can heal up

Enigma
09-09-2012, 12:43 AM
I had exactly the same thing happen to mine while in QT: first on the power head, and then on the intake for the canister filter!

I pulled the power head out and reduced the flow on the canister filter. Then I watched I'm like a hawk for an hour.

How much flow do you have in your system?

I'd put him whatever system has the least amount of flow.

Coralgurl
09-09-2012, 12:58 AM
He's eating and swimming ok right now. He still hangs out in the same corner but is swimming with the anthias a bit. I've kept this ph off for now so just 1 mp40 and my return pump going for flow ATM, would rather not leave it off.

My yellow tang seems to not care for him much either. Just going to watch for a bit.

bignose
09-09-2012, 01:37 AM
If the fish is still small hang a piece of pipe in the corner by it to hide inside until it adjusts to it's new home. I had a similar experience with a royal gramma, it was being pestered by the other fish and it got stuck to the overflow so I hung the pipe for it.

Depending on the size your your foxface this might work it worked for my gramma.

Coralgurl
09-09-2012, 08:25 PM
I left him alone last night, didn't move him, today he's out and about and his side looks better. He's eating fine and looks like he's settling in a bit better. Funny, I wasn't a huge fan of these fish but I really adore this guy! Just need him to fatten up a bit.

Coralgurl
09-09-2012, 08:29 PM
If the fish is still small hang a piece of pipe in the corner by it to hide inside until it adjusts to it's new home. I had a similar experience with a royal gramma, it was being pestered by the other fish and it got stuck to the overflow so I hung the pipe for it.

Depending on the size your your foxface this might work it worked for my gramma.
He is small, but will retreat to the rocks if he needs to. Such a gentle fish!

Coralgurl
09-11-2012, 04:17 AM
He didn't make it. I don't think it would have mattered which tank he was in.

lpsreefer
09-11-2012, 04:28 AM
Three days then he died?
How long was he in qt?
Where was he bought from?
I feel bad for ya.
I love my foxfaces.
Got them both from golds.

Aquattro
09-11-2012, 04:39 AM
I've had a couple fish do this over the years, they always died in a day or two. A healthy fish would not have got stuck to the powerhead, so you know it was weakened to begin with (unless it's really tiny, and it's a strong pump)

scubadawg
09-11-2012, 04:55 AM
Had a filefish commit suicide 2 days ago, found him stuck to my intake, turn off the power, he swam away, put a foam filter around the intake.

Purchased a new Reef Octapus HOB 90 skimmer last week, went to go feed the fish, went looking for the filefish, stuck to skimmer intake, was dead :(

Coralgurl
09-11-2012, 05:07 AM
I got him from oceans. I had been at pisces earlier in the day and they had a few, so when I stopped at oceans, they were the same size, thought I'd go for it. They were all thin but swimming well and eating. I got home tonight and he was stuck again, looked like he'd been there for a while, but he swam off behind the rocks. I was out for a few hours, came home and did the nightly blast of cyano, saw him by the overflow, nose out of water. He was still alive but barely. I've put him in the sump, I can't flush or freeze a live being so hopefully the sump is a peaceful way to go.

No qt, this would have been a good time to have one, just to build his strength but I don't.

Enigma
09-11-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm sorry, Sheena. That really sucks.

I had to abbreviate the QT on mine. QT was extremely stressful for him. I don't know if QTing yours would have given him any greater a chance. I'm skeptical that it would have.

Coralgurl
09-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Well I did move him to my sump and check this morning, he's still alive. Tried to get him to eat but not go. I have a little acclimation tank I threw in the sump and put him in there, still gets water flow but keeps him a bit safer. Will keep trying but he really doesn't look good.

Coralgurl
09-11-2012, 02:29 PM
It was a good thing I was sitting in front of the tank this am as I heard a funny noise, looked behind me and my trigger had blasted out of the tank and flopping around on the floor. Grabbed him and put him back. If I wasn't fussing over the fox face, I would have lost him too.

FishyFishy!
09-11-2012, 02:34 PM
It was a good thing I was sitting in front of the tank this am as I heard a funny noise, looked behind me and my trigger had blasted out of the tank and flopping around on the floor. Grabbed him and put him back. If I wasn't fussing over the fox face, I would have lost him too.

Sounds like it's time to head to Home Depot and make yourself a screen top!

Coralgurl
09-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Sounds like it's time to head to Home Depot and make yourself a screen top!

Nope, time to get rid of the hippo tang who constantly picks, chases and harrasses the trigger. Its been months they've been in the tank together and the hippo is relentless.

Coralgurl
09-11-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm sorry, Sheena. That really sucks.

I had to abbreviate the QT on mine. QT was extremely stressful for him. I don't know if QTing yours would have given him any greater a chance. I'm skeptical that it would have.

It's so hard watching a fish suffer. The best thing for him was to stay at the store and fatten up. I think now the shipment had just come in within days and these guys needed more time.

Enigma
09-11-2012, 06:24 PM
It's so hard watching a fish suffer. The best thing for him was to stay at the store and fatten up. I think now the shipment had just come in within days and these guys needed more time.

Hopefully he'll come around.

Do you have any algae covered frags of rock that you can place in the acclimation tank?

Aysha
09-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Sometimes fish are sold too soon,
I really hope yours does well for you.If you are curious about what to do with a too far gone fish this method has worked in the past with both fresh and salt water fish.

I find if my fish are sick (I've had them come in with velvet,severe pop eye, one fish beat the daylights out of another beyond help) this method works for us.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-most-humane-way-to-euthanize-a-fish.htm

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/helpful-articles/euthanize-fish

Coralgurl
09-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks Aysha,

Those articles are fantastic, I've printed and will keep on hand for future use. I don't expect him to be alive when I get home, depending on what he's doing if he is still alive, I may use one of these methods.

I should have known better and waited.

Shelley - I will throw in a rock if he's still alive but I really don't think there's much hope for him.

spit.fire
09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Nope, time to get rid of the hippo tang who constantly picks, chases and harrasses the trigger. Its been months they've been in the tank together and the hippo is relentless.

My hippo tank is probably the most agressive fish in my 300g and theres 9 other tangs in there with him, he even made my red sea sailfin jump who is 3x his size

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2